Bitter & Twisted Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for starters is it that hard to put up a post to say that they are mailed back in the start of december, which was obviously a lie, if it didnt happen why not just post up and say so.

barls.......... as a past, and still on and off sufferer of (it doesnt go away like a cold) depression, i will stand beside Dave in his defence. Mate.... when your really down...... everything is grey, life has a wet blanket over it and you usually couldnt be bothered wiping your own arse let alone sending off a score sheet for a home brewed beer from a comp that when it comes down to it..... is just a bit of fun in the end.

many years ago, i had a conversation with Dave similar to yours, and yes back then he was very busy too. After a couple too and fros with him i came to realise that these brewing comps arnt a buisness, they are something done FOR people like you by people with a passion but unfortunately, usually other things in their life that come before your home brew.

Now i hear people say............. well why the **** is he taking this on if he cant comit?

Well if he didnt, you wouldnt have had a comp to enter in the first place. You may not have got a judging sheet back, and i understand that being anoying, but Dave has layed down his case which is a very fair one IMO. Other HUB members have had a go but sometimes....... shit happens!

Im gunna say it............. HTFU!

I entered the B&T comp a couple years back and got a place........ never got anything for it, no return paperwork, no certificate, trophay, sex from supermodles............. nuthin! ............... I may have asked a couple times but shrugged my shoulders and thought...... i wouldnt have time to do it all, so i will move on. And without those who do do what they can, there would be no beer comps!

This isnt isolated to the B&T comp either...... i have had things like this happen in high level comps from around the country including being sent other peoples score sheets, smashed glass trophies thrown in a box together, and nothing back at all. It happens.

My 2c

Oh..... and Dave............. get well mate!

tony ive been around enough to realise that comps are run by volunteers, ive helped the isb boys in enough to know that.
what im talking about is the fact that ive taken 5 hours off work to drive up the the hunter to drop off beers belonging to both someone else and myself and paid more money per entry than the state comp. only to be told that im not going to see a score or feed back on my beers and harden the **** up. well im sorry i work for the govt and get screwed for a living dont need it in my hobby thanks anyway for offering.

as for dave being sick, i can understand as ive got family members that suffer from mental illnesses. what i was whinging about was the complete lack of respect from most of the hub members in regards to the comp, les you are the exception here as you not only contacted me claiming responsibility and trying to rectify the issue.

as for dave try to get better mate, im sure the scene in newie must be missing you by now.
id still like to see a pdf posted but im going to wear this one as a learning experience and never i repeat never have anything to do with this comp again.
next time i think about entering it i might just go out the back of the house and set fire to the entry money and pour the beer out on the concrete. same effect.

It's ironic isn't it...

Often the trigger for people falling in to the throes of depression is the feeling of not being able to share a burden, talk things out and being told many times to stop being a whinger and harden the **** up...

what i was whinging about was the complete lack of respect from most of the hub members in regards to the comp

Barls, your statement is completely untrue and unfair. Why should most of the HUB members be responsible?

We are a small club of about 35 members. We have a committee of 5 volunteers, of which I am the secretary. Those 5 people have discussed this issue at length via email, in person, on the phone etc etc. One of the resultants is the apology from our club president and steps to move forward for a positive outcome, which may take some time; One of our club members is going through what is probably the toughest period in his life and he deserves a little respect from us too.

What we are guilty of is allowing the complete burden of running the administration of the comp to be taken on by one person. This has also been discussed at length by the committee and has been agreed upon to never happen again in future efforts.

If you wish to discuss in person I'm more than happy to call you, or anyone else, to discuss; just PM me your number.

Cheers,

schooey

barls.......... as a past, and still on and off sufferer of (it doesnt go away like a cold) depression, i will stand beside Dave in his defence. Mate.... when your really down...... everything is grey, life has a wet blanket over it and you usually couldnt be bothered wiping your own arse let alone sending off a score sheet for a home brewed beer from a comp that when it comes down to it..... is just a bit of fun in the end.

many years ago, i had a conversation with Dave similar to yours, and yes back then he was very busy too. After a couple too and fros with him i came to realise that these brewing comps arnt a buisness, they are something done FOR people like you by people with a passion but unfortunately, usually other things in their life that come before your home brew.

Now i hear people say............. well why the **** is he taking this on if he cant comit?

Well if he didnt, you wouldnt have had a comp to enter in the first place. You may not have got a judging sheet back, and i understand that being anoying, but Dave has layed down his case which is a very fair one IMO. Other HUB members have had a go but sometimes....... shit happens!

Im gunna say it............. HTFU!

I entered the B&T comp a couple years back and got a place........ never got anything for it, no return paperwork, no certificate, trophay, sex from supermodles............. nuthin! ............... I may have asked a couple times but shrugged my shoulders and thought...... i wouldnt have time to do it all, so i will move on. And without those who do do what they can, there would be no beer comps!

This isnt isolated to the B&T comp either...... i have had things like this happen in high level comps from around the country including being sent other peoples score sheets, smashed glass trophies thrown in a box together, and nothing back at all. It happens.

My 2c

A cursory glance at your picture profile Tony would best explain why you ain't getting "sex with supermodles" :p

Cheers

Paul

next time i think about entering it i might just go out the back of the house and set fire to the entry money and pour the beer out on the concrete. same effect.

I am sorry to hear that mate.

I have just gone and retrieved your sheets from the bog and will post them to you today. Looks like I will have to find something else to wipe my arse on next year. :lol:

Oh..... and Dave............. get well mate!

Cheers Tony,

The greatest thing about the 'black dog' is how great you feel when your mates ralley around you. My brother killed himself at 40 because he suffered alone.

Look forward to sharing a beer with you mate.

Dave
:party:

A cursory glance at your picture profile Tony would best explain why you ain't getting "sex with supermodles" :p

Cheers

Paul

:eek: but i thought the "rough look" was in ?????

Look forward to sharing a beer with you mate.

Me too Dave...... I just wish i could get to the HUB meetings.

Barls.......... fine example.

I send a fairly delicate beer off for judging at beerfest. I sent it late so it would be sitting around there for the minimal time and now this.........

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=51678

extended deadline and they lowered the price of enteries just after i sent mine for full price.

it happens!

The trophies i got sent from beerfest last time i entered were just smashed glass when i got them too but im entering again...... all will be good!

cheers

Edit: Oh and in no way asociate my comments or opinions with the HUB club....... im not a member due to work and family comitments unfortunately getting in the way of atending friday night meets.

Got my results in the mail today.

Placed two 2nds from 2 entries, but really top feedback on the scoresheets.

Thanks guys.

Got my results as well. A couple of thirds which is good.

Brilliant feedback was greatly appreciated.

Just read my results.
First comp.
Great feedback. Very encouraging.
Much appreciated.
Hang in there Dave.

Harry

Back