Bitter & Twisted Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi David,
Any more news on the comp? Is it still going ahead?
Cheers, Duane.

Hi David,
Any more news on the comp? Is it still going ahead?
Cheers, Duane.

Sorry Guys. Didn't see these messages - Life in the Dave household has been rather hectic of late so the preparation for this comp is less than perfect.

But the comp is still on.

If you would like to download an entry form and get the beers to us we will judge them and award some suitable prizes.

You can post your entries to Mark's Home Brew shop or drop them into Potters Brewery. If you are in Sydney and can get to the ESB shop by Tuesday them we can ship them up for free. Also, I will be in Chatswood tomorrow so if you want to meet up to drop off some entries you can call me on 0422 978 643.

Thanks
Dave

Thanks Dave, what date is it on and when do entries need to be in?
The entry form says 5th and 6th of April.
Cheers, Duane.

Howdy..ls there a comp this year? I cant find any information anywhere...

edit: I just rang and asked them about it, and they said there isn't one this year, and they even swore to me there definitely wasn't one last year... but this thread leads me to believe otherwise. hmm..

If they cant get an official comp together, send all your beers to my place and I'll tell you what I think of them!! :icon_drool2: :lol:

Howdy..ls there a comp this year? I cant find any information anywhere...

edit: I just rang and asked them about it, and they said there isn't one this year, and they even swore to me there definitely wasn't one last year... but this thread leads me to believe otherwise. hmm..

Sammus - there was no 'official' competition last year due to the actions of the NSW Brewers Guild (or at least someone on their executive). Pulled out support at the last moment and left us high and dry.

The B&T event itself has got bigger and the HAG brewers are getting more involved in running info sessions and serving beer - etc.

But more about that later.

Dave

Sammus - there was no 'official' competition last year due to the actions of the NSW Brewers Guild (or at least someone on their executive). Pulled out support at the last moment and left us high and dry.

The B&T event itself has got bigger and the HAG brewers are getting more involved in running info sessions and serving beer - etc.

But more about that later.

Dave

Cool. I'm a HAG brewer, and am happy to help out as much as I can from down here in the 'gong :)

Had a great weekend at the festival with some mates and tried some great beers. One of the highlights was introducing the boys who are usual pub beer types to more interesting and flavoursome beers. We loved the Punch and Judy and Nirvana from Murrays but i had to talk them into the darker beers. They said they dont like dark beers, didnt know why, they just dont like them. Then we tried Docs Mindwarp at the Potters stand. Man, what a beer! We all loved it and ended up going back for more and more. Def. my favourite for the show, great beer Doc, well done. Now give me the bloody recipe so i can at least try to make something half as good!

Went to this on Saturday and was greatly dissapointed. Lined up in the rain to a very slow bag search and wrist band attachment. Once in it was a lot quicker to get my early bird bag, tasting cup and tokens. The Mindwarp at Potters was the stand-out beer there but was very dissapointed with the turn out of beer stalls. The Home Brewers tent was great with some very nice beers.
I found that apart from approx 3 beers at the festival I could have bought the rest at my local bottleshop and sat at home in the dry and not wasted my money. The entry fee of $30 dollars was $20 dollars too much. Will not be going again along with my other 5 friends who feel the same as me.
The organisers need to have a sit down and try to work out a better venue or more beer stalls. This is the second year where it has been wet so consingency plans need to be looked at.

Dogs,

As much as I love B&T and want to defend it, you are right.

They have not attracted any new or interesting breweries from the staple that show up every year.
The venue is not large enough for the crowds is draws and as a result the waiting time can be forever for a beer.

I don't know what their exhibitor packages are, but they really need to entice the best breweries of Australia to the event.

Seems like the brewery showcases that Harts and Paddy's brewery put on this year, were the ones to go see the best beers.
:(

I totally agree with the last two posts. Most of the beers i have had before, which is why the homebrew tent was the best to visit over the weekend, the beers were always changing and had some nice stuff. The setup was pretty bad, especially up top on the saturday where you had to line up in mud to get a beer. If they spread the stores out more instead of clumping them together in tight walkways it might be ok. Saturday was definately a dud, rain and very long beer lines but sunday was the total opposite, sunshine and no ques! Hopefully they will have a few changes, and a bigger beer line up or we probably wont make the trip up next year.

+ 1 to the last three posts.
Attended Saturday and was greatly disapointed.

Did I miss the results of the comp? Anyone point me the right direction.

Did I miss the results of the comp? Anyone point me the right direction.

HI DK,

Dave had posted them in a parellel thread here;

Top Twister Results
The final round of judging has been completed at the Bitter & Twisted beer competition. Results and score sheets are being collated and will be returned to entrants this week. The overall standards of the beers entered was very high, particularly with the following category winners:

A. Trent Maier
B. Greg Stephens
C. Max Plank
D. Trent Maier
E. Scott Simpson
F. David Jenkins
G. David Jenkins
H. Trent Maier
I. Trent Maier
J. Graham & Kelly Eyres

The above beers were submitted to a Best of Show round and the winners were:

Best of Show: Scott Simpson - Australian Pale Ale
1st Runner Up: Trent Maier - Klsch
2nd RunnerUp: David Jenkins - RIS

Congrats to all winners

Hope this helps,

Schooey

HI DK,

Dave had posted them in a parellel thread here;

Hope this helps,

Schooey
i think what he wants is the full results ie so we can see where we ended up in the field.

Then we tried Docs Mindwarp at the Potters stand. Man, what a beer! We all loved it and ended up going back for more and more. Def. my favourite for the show, great beer Doc, well done. Now give me the bloody recipe so i can at least try to make something half as good!

The Mindwarp at Potters was the stand-out beer there but was very dissapointed with the turn out of beer stalls.

Thanks guys. I really enjoyed making this one commercially and will have to do it again for sure.
It is pretty easy to make at home too (compared to the Secret Sqirrel, Rhubarb and Gose) :p

Doc

What ever happened to the Top Twister Results?
Brewed the beers...paid the money...HUB website is down...'on the phone' whenever I call.
Isn't 'feedback' the idea?
Any Clues?

second this. how about ether results or posting out the sheets

Latest posts

Back