Ok To Use Brazed Copper In The Kettle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinkas

Reaction score
HI all,
I was going to get a plumber to braze a couple of 90 degree elbwos on some copper so I can run a recirc whirlpool over the side fo the boil kettle, is the braze they use ok in boiling wort?

HI all,
I was going to get a plumber to braze a couple of 90 degree elbwos on some copper so I can run a recirc whirlpool over the side fo the boil kettle, is the braze they use ok in boiling wort?
I think you will live till at least 85 years old.They can use a high silver content welding rod.
GB

As long as they use lead & cadmium free brazing rod / silver solder.

I've got some here if you want. It's Silbraze45.

Or you could just stick it together with a bit of Silastic 732 if you want to do it yourself.

As long as they use lead & cadmium free brazing rod / silver solder.

I've got some here if you want. It's Silbraze45.

Or you could just stick it together with a bit of Silastic 732 if you want to do it yourself.

hadnt thought of that

sinkas if you are thinking of getting a plumber to do the joints then you may consider not using joints and actually have him put 90 degree bends in it instead. Or take it to a plumbing shop for the bends, the cost would be negligible.

give palmyra plumbing a call and take to a guy called Ken he should sort you out

Hi Case
There is no better time to learn than the present, I can lend you a MAPP gas torch and some phos-copper rod and you can do your worst! there is no need for high silver content brazing rod on copper to copper joints or you can borrow some tube benders if your pipe is 1/2".

In response to your original question Matr is right as long as it is Cad free it is safe, the spigot in the original kettle you got from me had a copper to brass brazed joint that was done with phos-copper brazing rod (15%Ag, Cu, P) and doesn't seem to have killed you yet :)

Latest posts

Back