Official 2008 Ahb Sydney Pub Crawl

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a long way from the Macca to the Pumphouse. Might have to stop in at the Equilibrium on the way. I doubt we could do Macca > Pumphouse > Australian in an hour.

I'm keen, yet again :p

Can we lock in Saturday 26th April 2008

Doc

I'm keen, yet again :p

Can we lock in Saturday 26th April 2008

Doc
Bugger the poll. 26th sounds good to me.

Maybe too close to Anzac Day for some, what with gambling, drinking and a nasty megaswill hangover :icon_vomit:

Can we close this deal? :icon_cheers:

Les out (but back in the morning) ;)

hmmm this looks good. Penciled in.

I am hoping to get back to the RedOak at some stage to try an old porter that impressed me after I did the beer appreciatioon course.. Was damaging to the balance sheet though

Would be great to meet up with fellow Sydney Brewers.

Being in the army I will be hungover on the 26th, its my job and I get payed to do it :p . But more a problem will be talking the better half into letting me go out drinking 2 days in a row, last year was good because we spent the night in Sydney and went to the Easter show with the 2 apprentice brewers the next day (yes I was hunover, and it was a very hot day too from memory). I guess there is the aquarium and the like, count me in for now.

Good call on the Equilibrium

Would it be better to go to James Squire before the Australian as it is more on the way. Or was the Australian there for lunch purposes

Its now in my diary pending SWMBO approval :D

Macquarie 12pm
Equilibrium
pumphouse (st peters) ?
james squires (darlo harbour)
Redoak
australian (lunch? 1-2pm?)
lord nelson (also does food)
lowenbrau 4pm?
belgium (for those who must spend the allocated budget before returning home)
generic kebab shop

Just thought I'd throw the redoak in there, and try to get em in order...less backtracking.

Macquarie 12pm
Equilibrium
pumphouse (st peters) ?
james squires (darlo harbour)
Redoak
australian (lunch? 1-2pm?)
lord nelson (also does food)
lowenbrau 4pm?
belgium (for those who must spend the allocated budget before returning home)
generic kebab shop

Just thought I'd throw the redoak in there, and try to get em in order...less backtracking.

You guys need to do some fittness work beforehand :)

The Equilibrium sucks these days, there may be one or two beers left worth drinking there
I could give the Pumphouse a miss

Why not flip the list around , start at the Rocks and work our way towards the Macquarie- Just a thought

Why not flip the list around , start at the Rocks and work our way towards the Macquarie- Just a thought

I think that might work best after thinking about it. Five pubs before lunch at the Australian at 1-2pm might just be a touch optimistic. :lol:

How about pretty much following the plan from two years ago.

Lowenbrau
Lord Nelson
The Australian (lunch)
Belgian Beer Cafe
Redoak
James Squire (darling harbour)
Pumphouse
Macquarie

And nearly that's only a short stagger to Central. :party:

Here's the word doc crozdog attached to the one two years ago with maps for almost all these places. Crozdog's maps. :super:

Any thoughts?

Right on Stu, wheat beers are better 'round breakfast time anyway, isn't that what they are considered in some parts of Bavaria?

See: http://12claws.com/blog/2008/02/bavarian_breakfast.html

"A Bavarian breakfast is really more of a brunch and consists of soft pretzels, weiwurst (white sausage), sweet mustard, and hefeweien (wheat beer "

Also
"We treated ourselves to a traditional Bavarian breakfast of white sausage and Weissbier."

I think that might work best after thinking about it. Five pubs before lunch at the Australian at 1-2pm might just be a touch optimistic. :lol:

Lowenbrau
Lord Nelson
The Australian (lunch)
Belgian Beer Cafe
Redoak
Pumphouse
Macquarie

And nearly that's only a short stagger to Central. :party:

Here's the word doc crozdog attached to the one two years ago with maps for almost all these places. Crozdog's maps. :super:

Any thoughts?

I'd swap a couple to save backtracking:
Lowenbrau
Lord Nelson
The Australian (lunch)
Belgian Beer Cafe
Pumphouse
Redoak
Macquarie

Okay, after 2 years of missing out I will definitely be there this time. Afternoon shift on the 25th, so am on 4 days off from the 26th.

Will bring along a mate or two for the fun of it.... and a place to crash near the city at the end of it all :beer:

Lowenbra
Lord Nelson
The Australian (lunch)
Belgian Beer Caf
Redoak
James Squire (Darling Harbour)
Pumphouse
Macquarie

And nearly (?) that's only a short stagger to Central.

Here's the Word doc Crozdog attached to the one two years ago with maps for almost all these places. Crozdog's maps.

Any thoughts?
yep, Stu. I have some thoughts. (* Addendum: quite a few actually). ;)

I can see that a recovery breakfast (maybe even an early start, without too much drinking prior to the main event), after Anzac day, at the Lowenbra, would be a very worthwhile thing/ opportunity. This may cause conflict among those who still have issues with the Germans regarding several large historical military conflicts, but I hope those are in the minority, and they can wait at the "Lord" for the rest of us forgiving individuals who actually enjoy German beer and cuisine. It may help stave off the hunger pangs until lunch.

Shame to go to the Belgian before Redoak, as some of the strong-flavoured beer from the Belgian is likely to overwhelm the subtle flavours of some of the Redoak beers. Yes, I'm not a huge fan of all the Redoak beers, but you must consider that there's not really a bad beer among them (from memory) and that, although muted (as compared to our brews), they are challenging yet drinkable for the majority of punters. Yes?
I'm happy enough to go to the Redoak, but I suggest others are given/ take the option to proceed directly to the Squire brewhouse.

Unless the Pumphouse has picked up their game (and it hasn't been good since they stopped making their own range of beer), it's a big jump/ hike from Squires to the Macquarie.

Are there any pubs "of worth" (i.e. worthy) on the journey between the two venues? I'd like to see a Newcastle Brown or something refreshing on tap, at least, if not a brew-pub beer. I recall a couple of "dud" pubs toward the end of the Balmain crawl too. I suppose they help you to slow down after a long session, but the beers have little flavour to maxed-out tastebuds.

Could we go from the Belgian (Heritage) to the Squire Ale-house and back via the Redoak and then to the Macquarie? Is it a reasonable option? Just throwing a thought out there... (Note: While I was composing this "Pat-post", I was mind-melded with Croz, and he suggested the same thing above. I just excluded the Pumphouse).

Stu, I took the opportunity to add appropriate acutes and umlauts in your post above, as well as some capital letters for proper nouns. Oh,...and a grammatical error/ additional word. All are marked in red. I'm sure that you'll take it all in the spirit in which it was done. Says under his breath - "Take me to task, will you?" :lol:

Don't be upset if I've maligned your favourite pub in the post above. It's just the lack of beer talking. I'll settle down and become much more amicable later, after a few cold ones.

Beerz
Les :p

Might try to get along to this one if nothing crops up in the mean time.

CC/Newy guys doing the train thing?

yep, Stu. I have some thoughts.

Stu, I took the opportunity to add appropriate acutes and umlauts in your post above, as well as some capital letters for proper nouns.

no probs les. likewise i'm sure. :lol:

I did German at school so I have a pathological fear of the umlaut (though luckily not the people or the beers :chug: ). That's my story and I'm sticking to it. And caf. Bah. You don't frighten me, you French pig-dogs :p

All your (other) suggestions make perfect sense to me. So is the running order as you see it?

Lowenbra
Lord Nelson
The Australian (lunch)
Belgian Beer Caf
Pumphouse
(Redoak)
Macquarie

26th April 2008 - I've inked it in, with 'recovery' inked on 27th ;)

Cheers,
Greg.

Latest posts

Back