Nsw Xmas In July Case 2007

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone up for a Gose?

Do we have anyone in the swap who shouldn't be having a lot of salt?

OK, I'm still thinking...maybe a Yankee wheat. I really like my recipe and it scored 35 at the State comp even tho' it was flat as a maggot at the time of tasting. The CO2 evolved a ittle late and slow, but it was a nicely balance beer.

Maybe I can have another go at the Porter, as I wasn't happy with it last time.
I'm thinking that it should be a Winter beer, and maybe a Winter warmer, with caramel and toffee and Marris Otter and EKG hops and 6+% alcohol...yum. :rolleyes:

So many options and the clock is now ticking. :eek:

I will accept suggestions by pm :lol:

Les out :p

Anyone up for a Gose?

Oooh, a Gose. I've only attempted one, but went to heavy on the salt. Only two brews have made it down the sink in the last 215 brews, and that was one of them.
Do you have a tried and true recipe Les ? Rock salt or table salt ?

Doc

Yes please Les, do a gose. I think you've got enough lacto form to pull it off. I read all the gose threads the other night, almost got motivated enough to do one. From what I could glean the salt is really a non-issue - just enough to bring out the flavours. I'd love to see someone take a good crack at it.

The Honey Pils just went into the fermenter! :party:

1.Duff
2. Josh
3. davekate - Honey Pilsner
4. Barramundi
5. Slurpdog
6. redbeard
7. shonky
8. Stuster - Biere de Garde
9. DJR
10. Trent
11. Craig
12. Punter
13. T.D.
14. Doc
15. goatherder - Bock
16. Stephen
17. beer slayer
18. KoNG
19. Petesbrew - Dark Ale
20. DC82
21. Crozdog
22. Homebrewworld
23. Linz - 'Razorback' Red Ale
24. Shmick
25. PoMo
26. Brewer
27. Les the Weizguy
28. Forkboy

Oooh, a Gose. I've only attempted one, but went to heavy on the salt. Only two brews have made it down the sink in the last 215 brews, and that was one of them.
Do you have a tried and true recipe Les ? Rock salt or table salt ?

Doc
Doc (and other Gose appreciators),

I was planning to use Horst Dornbusch's recipe in the BYO article from a while back. I have found his recipes to taste quite acceptable and they fit the style guidelines well. It was a modified BYO recipe that scored me the BOS at last year's NSW comp, so they're close to start with. :D

I have not brewed one before, otherwise I would have been spruiking it on AHB before this. I'd be using sea salt, added in small amounts until it becomes discernible.

I was only half-joking about brewing the Gose, actually, although I intend to brew one eventually since I saw the BYO article and read Doc's thread. I was more keen on a Winter Warmer (WW), but I can do both and keep all the WW for myself. You know I like the challenge. Why be normal when I can be myself? Lock me in, Eddie. :super:

BTW, I saw the new National (AABC) style guidelines yesterday and I think it's a bag of mixed blessings.
The State comps are all going to fall in line and adopt the styles for their qualifying comps, but I can see some styles are not catered for. Don't think that I could squeeze Gose in anywhere.

Beerz
Seth :p

I may seem like a goose for asking this, but Les, whats a Gose?
never heard of this before.
As for my contribution, I was toying with the idea of a Schwartzbeir.
The one i'm drinking now is a cracker. Anyone have any objections?
Though this idea may change in the next week or so.
W'ell see what happens.

1.Duff
2. Josh
4. Barramundi
5. Slurpdog
6. redbeard
7. shonky
9. DJR
10. Trent
11. Craig
12. Punter - Schwartzbeir?
13. T.D.
14. Doc
15. goatherder - Bock
16. Stephen
17. beer slayer
18. KoNG
19. Petesbrew - Dark Ale
20. DC82
21. Crozdog
22. Homebrewworld
24. Shmick
25. PoMo
26. Brewer
27. Les the Weizguy
28. Forkboy

Punter, here's some info on gose.

You're welcome to do any style you like. No need to ask. But, in my opinion, schwarzbier is a great choice. :super:

I can't work out what i'll do but i'm sure i will come up with something from the following next batches. I think i will buck the trend and go for a lighter or amber style.

D Saaz Pale Ale
Nelson Sauvin Kolsch/Blonde
Saison
American IPA
American Amber

Anyway i'm sure i'll work it out, there is another 3 months after all. Probably the D Saaz Pale Ale but i have to work out the recipe so it might either be underwhelming or absolutely top notch - i hope it's the latter.

1.Duff
2. Josh
4. Barramundi
5. Slurpdog
6. redbeard
7. shonky
9. DJR
10. Trent
11. Craig
13. T.D.
14. Doc
15. goatherder - Bock
16. Stephen
17. beer slayer
18. KoNG
19. Petesbrew - Dark Ale
20. DC82
21. Crozdog
22. Homebrewworld
24. Shmick
25. PoMo
26. Brewer
27. Les the Weizguy
28. Forkboy

29. First reserve, Berto.

Missed the start of the list, but might get a run, will try and pull my finger out and brew something in anitcipation.

1.Duff
2. Josh
4. Barramundi
5. Slurpdog
6. redbeard
7. shonky
9. DJR
10. Trent
11. Craig
13. T.D.
14. Doc
15. goatherder - Bock
16. Stephen
17. beer slayer
18. KoNG
19. Petesbrew - Dark Ale
20. DC82
21. Crozdog
22. Homebrewworld
24. Shmick
25. PoMo
26. Brewer
27. Les the Weizguy
28. Forkboy

30. Second Reserve, Thommo.

Bugger, I missed the start of the list too, and like Berto am hoping I might get a run. Bloody Honeymoon!!! I'm still in England and loving the draught Bitters; I think I'll probably be attempting something along the lines of an Old Peculiar clonish attempt.

Cheers,
Thommo.

1.Duff
2. Josh
4. Barramundi
5. Slurpdog
6. redbeard
7. shonky
9. DJR
10. Trent
11. Craig
13. T.D.
14. Doc
15. goatherder - Bock
16. Stephen
17. beer slayer
18. KoNG
19. Petesbrew - Dark Ale
20. DC82
21. Crozdog
22. Homebrewworld
24. Shmick
25. PoMo
26. Brewer
27. Les the Weizguy
28. Forkboy

30. Second Reserve, Thommo.
31. Third Reserve, Gulpa.

Damn. Go on holidays and miss the good stuff.

Cheers,
Andrew.

I'm sure he'll be pleased when he logs on later to find he's hosting the swap :)

I know we'd get support from KoNG as well for this venue :)

Support noted and agreed.!!
a pick up service would be appreciated too.! someone with a ute to get me to the meet would be great.

i'll have to start thinking of my brew for the case now.

a pick up service would be appreciated too.! someone with a ute to get me to the meet would be great.

Good luck :lol:

If anyone needs bottles, I have half a gazillion 800ml VB bottles, as advised last year.

Am happy to supply them, if someone is able to get to Newcastle to collect and distribute to Sydney, or if you can organise a helper (or sucker) to collect and drop them off.

Many more than I can use and could prob fill a small trailer if you have enough boxes.

Les the helper :p
And if anyone is interested I have the other half gazillion 800 ml bottles and am only 3 km from Les's place.

Cheers

Stephen

Good luck :lol:

Yeah, c'mon KoNG, Gerard hosting the swap is more than enough without him having to pick us all up and drop us off! :p :lol:

By the way, if you're driving can I grab a lift??? :ph34r:

Yeah, c'mon KoNG, Gerard hosting the swap is more than enough without him having to pick us all up and drop us off! :p :lol:

As well as getting the BBQ ready, we'll bring our own meats :p

I may cheat with my contribution and use the Big Brew Day Dopplebock or Belgian Golden. Either way it will be something big for a cold winter night. I'll save the crisp Pilsner for the December case.

Cheers.

I may cheat with my contribution and use the Big Brew Day Dopplebock or Belgian Golden. Either way it will be something big for a cold winter night. I'll save the crisp Pilsner for the December case.

Cheers.

Just got the final ingredients today for the next Darth Ale, Duff.
And if you call using a Belgian Golden or Dopplebock as cheating, CHEAT AWAY!!! :chug: :beer:

Cheers.

I thought GM might know a great local butcher... then he could organise a Bulk Buy with his connections. :excl:

My plans are to brew an American Brown for the case (subject to change at any point, with notification) B)

Back