NSW State Comp 2016

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received my scoresheets today. Extremely stoked with the judges feedback, some really great insights to get me improving my beers.

Thanks again to all judges and stewards.

It was a pleasure to enter as my first homebrew comp, and I will be returning next year.

Cheers

To echo the sentiment of others, big thanks to Stu and all others (judges, stewards etc)!! It was my first comp but everything seemed pretty straight forward.

Congrats to all the winners, place getters and highly commenders!

Great feedback (reassuring comments on where I thought I went wrong, and good insight into where to improve a couple of beers I'm trying to nail down for a regular tap spot).

I look forward to getting more involved more next year, hopefully in a steward capacity or the like- great community this brewing one :icon_cheers:

^^ What he said.

Top effort to Stu and the team, feedback mostly reinforced what I saw in the beers, other than one surprise comment that I'll have to revisit the beer to look for it.

Looking forward to being able to get more involved next year.

Interesting reading the feedback, my first critical feedback. Of note is the consistency between the feedback on all beers - both judges noted similar qualities/faults and will certainly aid me in future brewing. Well run comp and hard to fault, top effort all 'round and got my $7/beer worth.

Score sheets arrived and read. Emailing them is definitely the way to go.
Great feedback from the judges - I'm going to attempt my dusseldorf altbier again with an aim for improvement.

Thanks
Pete

Great idea this e-mail thing. Got a surprise when they showed up.
Feedback points to the same issue I expected I had, but very happy with results overall.
Cheers all involved, has been a smooth process all through.

I still enjoy the differences between people. Both BJCP judges and two wildly different markers. I got a 3/12 and 8/12 for aroma and 10/20 and 16/20 for flavour. No, the higher marks weren't from the same judge each time. Strange, but that's people.

mckenry said:
I still enjoy the differences between people. Both BJCP judges and two wildly different markers. I got a 3/12 and 8/12 for aroma and 10/20 and 16/20 for flavour. No, the higher marks weren't from the same judge each time. Strange, but that's people.
I had the same thing:

judge 1 said low aroma 1/3 and flavor hopping to style 14/20, judge 2 said very prominent aroma 2/3 and could use more flavor hops 8/20

:huh:

the 2 judges on my single beer had slightly differing opinions on the specifics, but both scored exactly the same except for the overall impressions where i got an extra point from one.
very consistent for me.

mckenry said:
it happens.

Pratty1 said:
I had the same thing:

judge 1 said low aroma 1/3 and flavor hopping to style 14/20, judge 2 said very prominent aroma 2/3 and could use more flavor hops 8/20

:huh:
one could of had a cold. also depends where you were in the flight.

personally i had a pair of judges that barely filled in the sheet. its got a name, an entry number and a few word description on it..
might contact them and say its not acceptable as a fellow judge.

I don't want to take anything away from the judges, as i do believe all those that judged my beers gave some very insightful and thoughtful analysis of my entries.

But i found that the comment "F*CKING AWESOME YOU COULD SELL THIS" to be both unhelpful and an embarrassing way to comment on a beer. The judge didn't leave contact details for follow up either, which i thought was more annoying than the comment.

Overall, such a fantastic experience for only my 2nd competition. Looking at being more involved next year.

fungrel said:
I don't want to take anything away from the judges, as i do believe all those that judged my beers gave some very insightful and thoughtful analysis of my entries.

But i found that the comment "F*CKING AWESOME YOU COULD SELL THIS" to be both unhelpful and an embarrassing way to comment on a beer. The judge didn't leave contact details for follow up either, which i thought was more annoying than the comment.

Overall, such a fantastic experience for only my 2nd competition. Looking at being more involved next year.
Surely that's not from a certified judge.

Lindsay Dive said:
Surely that's not from a certified judge.
No, it wasn't. But isn't the point of submitting beer for blind tasting is so that we don't get the equivalent of what our mates would tell us at a Saturday BBQ?

The beer placed 3rd, but now i have very little to go on when re-brewing it for the nationals. This feedback in this instance is invaluable for the next step.

Part of me thinks i got 3rd and i should shut up. But part of me thinks that if i were someone else and got a scoresheet like that, it may turn me off entering again.

For one of mine I had a comment in the appearance section that said, simply: "You can do better"

Thankfully I already knew exactly what the issues were on that beer and found the comment pretty funny.

I didnt want to turn this into a judge bashing. I really appreciate what they give, to do this for us. I was merely pointing out how different we are. If we were all the same, we wouldnt need judges, we could do it ourselves.
Now if only my judges agreed to the better marks in both areas..... might have me a place :p

If the judges agreed mine was the best, I would have a nice shiny fermenter.... we can all dream

Anyway - I was still pleased with the beer as I was expecting to brew an English IPA, but forgot to reset my brewhouse eff and ended up way under targets.
Decided just to enter it as an ESB, just for comment. Both judges actually liked it in the overall, but couldnt score it much higher as it really wasnt to style. Bit too bitter for an ESB.

fungrel said:
No, it wasn't. But isn't the point of submitting beer for blind tasting is so that we don't get the equivalent of what our mates would tell us at a Saturday BBQ?

The beer placed 3rd, but now i have very little to go on when re-brewing it for the nationals. This feedback in this instance is invaluable for the next step.

Part of me thinks i got 3rd and i should shut up. But part of me thinks that if i were someone else and got a scoresheet like that, it may turn me off entering again.
i didn't realise that people could get a placing, refer to the feedback and brew with that new feedback for the National comp (from the feed-in comp) but I guess you can.
I don't think we would have time in Vic to do that for most beers, maybe I'm wrong, wouldn't be the first time today hehe

droid said:
i didn't realise that people could get a placing, refer to the feedback and brew with that new feedback for the National comp (from the feed-in comp) but I guess you can.
I don't think we would have time in Vic to do that for most beers, maybe I'm wrong, wouldn't be the first time today hehe
I just assumed that is how it was done?

I'm torn between using the feedback to change the recipe, or just re-brewing it exactly. Maybe someone with more experience could comment?

Latest posts

Back