NSW State Comp 2016

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good job everyone involved and thanks for all the effort put in.

I'm pretty stoked at my results; 2 x 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd, and overall runner-up to the Champion Brewer. And congrats to that Champion Brewer (dunno if he posts here) for some truly impressive results.

I'm keen to now check out the feedback on the score sheets and improve on my future brewing.

Is best in show based on points? or are the firsts re-tasted?

If its re-tasted, do they get judged by category, or just 'thats a good beer'

kaiserben said:

I'm pretty stoked at my results; 2 x 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd, and overall runner-up to the Champion Brewer. And congrats to that Champion Brewer (dunno if he posts here) for some truly impressive results.

I'm keen to now check out the feedback on the score sheets and improve on my future brewing.
your pretty stoked?

no running down the street naked with trophy's in hand for you?

congrats tho - that's effin awesome mate!

Once again many thanks to the comp organisers, judges and stewards etc. Congrats to those that did well. I cant wait to get the feedback also, i was hoping my ESB would do better.

Lovely work once again Stu, amazing how you pulled all that together,

n87 said:
Is best in show based on points? or are the firsts re-tasted?

If its re-tasted, do they get judged by category, or just 'thats a good beer'

The best of show is based on points. Since we are judging over two days, the only way to do it on a separate best of show round would be to add everyone to submit two bottles. I for one do not know how we would have been able to handle 550 more bottles.

Had a great time stewarding, though we were pretty busy for the 2 days. The pay off was plenty of good beers to sample...

Looking forward to next year.

cheers

steve

kaiserben said:

Thanks Ben, that brewer would be me. More an occasional lurker than a poster.

Congrats on your great results and thanks to all the judges, stewards and helpers. Amazing to see Stu post the results last night, great effort.

I was stuffed by the end of the weekend but glad to get the opportunity to taste many fine beers.

Well it's time to start posting Andrew because I'll be following every word you say on this forum from now on. You trounced that comp and thanks to you I didn't get a placing!
Many congrats, I'm sure you'll kick arse at the Nats and any success is surely well deserved.

It was a fun comp, mind you by Sunday afternoon I was starting to feel the strain - Strong Ales into Doubles, Triples, Barley Wine, American ...

Did hit one fault that was a bit of a surprise, first sniff I got Castel Blue Cheese, it faded pretty fast and wasn't over the top just unusual enough to make me look it up.
Val 1.JPGVal2.JPG

I have encountered Isovaleric Acid in flavour training, first time in a comp, I made a note on the judging form so when you see it you will know it is. Looks like it should mature out and it was in a beer that wont be harmed by some time in the cellar.
Mark

Interesting, I got a blue cheese aroma off one of the specialties. It was pungent initially and fleeting too.

I can't recall exactly, but I think the beer had Brett in it and I thought that had caused it.

Dazzbrew said:
Once again many thanks to the comp organisers, judges and stewards etc. Congrats to those that did well. I cant wait to get the feedback also, i was hoping my ESB would do better.
no dazzas dark this year??

Well done Andrew and congrats to all involved.

All credit to Stu - he does an amazing job on this Comp.

Big congrats Andrew - I hadn't realised that I was in the presence of such greatness at lunch on Sunday!

And David's RIS was absolutely superb and a worthy winner of Best in Show

Col

Hey Nick i focused on a Fullers ESB clone and an American Stout this year, scored low 60,s.
Looks like Troy is on fire this year with his IPA. 2 out of 2 wins so far!

The first of my score sheets just arrived by email (assuming they rest will filter through one by one).

Good comp. Well run. Bravo!

Now to decipher the spidery handwriting ...

Just got my scoresheet thanks.

Now i am tasting one alongside the notes, looks good

Thanks all involved.

Stu has emailed out to apologise, problems with Google mail merge. Looking forward to mine, had brilliant comments on my Imperial IPA, however I didn't brew it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Onya Stu big fella.

Latest posts

Back