Nsw State And Castle Hill Comp 2010

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think someone is telling me to stick to specialty beers, 3rd last year and 1st this year.
Thanks to Stu and everyone involved.
It was good to meet some of you on Saturday, (I was the doofus steward in the Tahs jersey.)

Cheers
DK

Thanks to Stu and all the others who helped organise the comp (especially the lovely lady from The Show Society). I was knackered after Sat, slept 12 hours straight that night.

Wow .. WOW!

3rd place in my first ever comp. As a relatively new brewer (and fairly long time lurker) I'd like to thank not only all those involved in making this comp possible but every poster on this forum. Without the multiple and varying views expressed and debated here, I would not be learning about and enjoying this great hobby so much.

Thanks all :icon_cheers: ,

Brad.

Just wanted to add my thanks to all those who organised and judged the comp.

This is the first competition I have entered. Got to say I am super pleased with a couple of HC's. Will definitely be looking to enter more comps going forward

Will also be very keen to help out if I can. On that can any one enlighten me as to the process for getting certified as a judge?

Cheers Adam

Many thanks to Stu and all others involved! Excellent work getting the results up so quickly.

Will also be very keen to help out if I can. On that can any one enlighten me as to the process for getting certified as a judge?

There is a process of doing a course followed by an exam. There may be another course running next year but nothing before that. I'd suggest that the best place to start is to do some stewarding at a comp and take it from there. You can see how the whole process works, see what kind of things judges talk about and so on. And of course taste all the good beers (and none of the bad ones). :icon_cheers:

Bit of a newbie question. What does HC mean, for example on the Porter results.
Thanks
Sam

Well done Stu, Phil for a great couple of days good to catch with some old faces and great to meet some new ones.
A big thank you to Heather for another great lunch and making everyone feel comfortable.
Well done to all the brewers that entered. The standard of beers coming through seems to get better and better every year.
which makes it a pleasure to judge.

Congrats to all the winners

Cheers
Joe :beerbang:

The standard of beers coming through seems to get better and better every year.
which makes it a pleasure to judge.

Adding to Joe's comments, when I started judging at least a decade ago it was not uncommon for half the enteries to be infected and undrinkable.

To help the entrants score even higher next time, I would like to suggest the single biggest problem that I saw at the weekend was the beers not meeting the requirements of the style. It is not good enough that your been is 'malty', it has to be intense.

Many great beers simply failed to meet the guidelines. When the published guidelines say that a beer should be 'intensly malty' or 'any roast character should be penalised' the judges can only rate your beer against these guidelines.

A large number were entered in the wrong style - I don't know if people just read what is on the outside of the kit or the recipie title. But again, read through the guidelines and check that you and see all the requirements in your entry. If you are not sure what some of the terms mean, try to get a bottle of the commercial example to taste or put the entry in and work through the score sheet comments to help you understand what the judges were looking for.

This is especially so in the specialty class. If your beer is a carrot porter, the judges first need to judge the base beer style (ie Porter) and then the additive (Carrot) and finally assess how well the additive enhances the base beer via the wonderous combination.

Without naming names we saw a fantastic 'x + y in a z' beer and while the x and y were brilliantly done they completely overwhelmed the underlying beer z.

HTH,
Dave

Adding to Joe's comments, when I started judging at least a decade ago it was not uncommon for half the enteries to be infected and undrinkable.

To help the entrants score even higher next time, I would like to suggest the single biggest problem that I saw at the weekend was the beers not meeting the requirements of the style. It is not good enough that your been is 'malty', it has to be intense.

Many great beers simply failed to meet the guidelines. When the published guidelines say that a beer should be 'intensly malty' or 'any roast character should be penalised' the judges can only rate your beer against these guidelines.

A large number were entered in the wrong style - I don't know if people just read what is on the outside of the kit or the recipie title. But again, read through the guidelines and check that you and see all the requirements in your entry. If you are not sure what some of the terms mean, try to get a bottle of the commercial example to taste or put the entry in and work through the score sheet comments to help you understand what the judges were looking for.

This is especially so in the specialty class. If your beer is a carrot porter, the judges first need to judge the base beer style (ie Porter) and then the additive (Carrot) and finally assess how well the additive enhances the base beer via the wonderous combination.

Without naming names we saw a fantastic 'x + y in a z' beer and while the x and y were brilliantly done they completely overwhelmed the underlying beer z.

HTH,
Dave
I entered an American Amber Ale in the specialty category, but due to timing, I hadn't had the first glass till the week when the entries closed. Definitely a gamble, but worth a shot anyway.
I guess it turned out more like an American Brown IPA? I dunno. I reckon it's great (regardless of category), and now I'll just wait to hear what the judges thought! I'm guessing lots of "not to styles".
Again, a big ups to all involved.

after having a chat with stu earlier today id like to share a revelation to those that judged the sours.
ok here it is.
the ouid braun that i entered and got highly commended for is a kit beer. its made to the recipe on the can, i cant remember if i made the candi sugar or not.
all i did was replace the kit yeast with white labs 515 and then transferred it on to a roselare yeast cake where it sat for 5 months.
it went in the bottle late august and was force carbed.
i hope this hasnt shaken an persons foundation of beliefs.

pete this is one of the kit beers we were talking about that night at harts. ill save you a bottle when i transfer it in a couple of months out of the ageing keg

after having a chat with stu earlier today id like to share a revelation to those that judged the sours.
ok here it is.
the ouid braun that i entered and got highly commended for is a kit beer. its made to the recipe on the can, i cant remember if i made the candi sugar or not.
all i did was replace the kit yeast with white labs 515 and then transferred it on to a roselare yeast cake where it sat for 5 months.
it went in the bottle late august and was force carbed.
i hope this hasnt shaken an persons foundation of beliefs.

pete this is one of the kit beers we were talking about that night at harts. ill save you a bottle when i transfer it in a couple of months out of the ageing keg
I do remember talking about the kits, but I also remember trying to work my way through every tap and the secret squirrels!
Was that one of the 2 year out of date kits?

I do remember talking about the kits, but I also remember trying to work my way through every tap and the secret squirrels!
Was that one of the 2 year out of date kits?
it was pete. im going to be starting another one soon just have to figure out what i want to do with it.

Congratulations to all the place getters and well done to the judges and stewards; such an epic number of entries!

Happy to get a couple of 2nd places...but something must've gone seriously wrong with my IPA's!!! :blink:

Ted, HC means you brew good beer!!

Fantastic, that means I brew at least two good beers ! While I didnt get a 1,2 or 3, all of my entries rated highly and Im chuffed to get some recognition outside of friends & family telling me how great my beers are. So they aren't just being polite after all. Sometimes I am my own harshest critic and a comp like this being measured alongside other brewers puts it all into perspective.

I only just scored a fermenting fridge which hasn't been christened yet so things can only get better with more control over future brews. Look out next year Barry Cranston :)

Any winners care to share their recipes?

Some strange results for me.

My APA that scored 108pts & second place in ESB comp, scored 34pts & last place in this comp.

In specialty beers I entered a beer as a Smoked belgian Pale, judged as a smoked belgian porter? colour ~ 12EBC, long way off a porter.

Looking forward to judging sheets. :unsure:

Back