Nsw Special Case Swap Tasting Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
8. Gruntus - Where has all my EKG gone - English IPA - ~ 7.5%

Colour is a deep amber, head falls back. Aroma is initially quite light, some caramel malt, a bit of yeast. Earth notes and further caramel and yeast come up as it warms. Flavour is malt sweetness up front, some coffee/roast, followed with some UK hop bitter orange on the finish. Medium body. Medium low carb. Bitterness is there. Alcohol is very well hidden. Very nice beer Grant, especially as it warms. Thanks.

cheers
Andrew.

17. DiscoStu - Belgian Dubbel - WLP500

Pours a deep amber/brown. Aroma is quite smokey phenolics, dark fruits, dark caramel, belgian funk. Flavour is sweet malt, dark fruits with a suitable belgianess about it. Vinous, almost red wine like in a Hunter kind of way (Mike, its definitely this yeast, your friends are right now that you point it out). Medium body. Belgian sweet balance. Very nice beer, Stu. Thanks

cheers
Andrew.

3. DiscoStu - Imperial IPA 8.5% - 100IBU - US05 - Bottled 14/02/10

Wow. Loving this beer Stu. Beautiful dark red and the first pour was pretty much clear save for a bit of a hop haze. Smells of fresh US hops. The first thing I taste is the hops. Then soon after a sweet malt and a bit of a chocolate toasty character. Then the bitterness and warming alcohol linger in the mouth. But both are not harsh at all. Just really smooth and pleasing.

The only thing more pleasing is that with 20 minutes to go in the Sharks-Knights game, I am in line to collect handsomely at the TAB.

7. Monkeybusiness - English IPA OG1053 FG1013 (5.1%) 52 IBU - Bottled 20-03-10

Another very drinkable beer tonight. Copper colour with a bit of head. Fruity esters abound. Nice hop flavour and aroma and a pretty firm bitterness.

A lovely beer, thanks MB.

That's it for the IPAs. A very tasty case indeed.

Now to check out the Belgians and Stouts. Bring it on.

12. floppinab IIPA - ~7.5%

Pours a great looking beer. Copper with a nice smallish head. Bright. Aroma is malt with yeast in the background. Hops taking a back seat. Flavour is more of the same, malt dominant, roasty notes, earthy hops finishing with a medium bitterness. Medium body. Medium low carb. Medium bitterness. Nice beer. Thanks Gav.

Cheers
Andrew.

26. floppinab - Belgian Strong Dark

Pours dark copper with a small head. Low carb. Sweet malt, with some dark stone fruits. Slight alcohol notes. Some spice.

Malty sweet. Over ripe stone fruits and other fruits. Spicy. Finishes medium dry. Would not have guessed the 9% alcohol.

Over a very tasty easy drinking beer. Very smooth, with delightful fruity esters. Top beer.

Cheers

15. Fatgodzilla - A kind of belgian strong ale with golden sryup instead of the candy not to style but tasting fine.-

Colour is brownish with ruby highlights. Vigorous pour gives a nice compact head. Aroma is citrusy, almost UK type citrus, a floral something I cant put my finger on. Flavour is malt driven, a touch of yeasty complexity, UK type hop flavours come up here as well. Medium body, medium low carb. Quite bitter for a belgian style. Drinks more like an old ale but very enjoyable. Nice beer, Ian. Thanks Ian.

Cheers
Andrew.

15. Fatgodzilla - A kind of belgian strong ale with golden sryup instead of the candy not to style but tasting fine.-

Colour is brownish with ruby highlights. Vigorous pour gives a nice compact head. Aroma is citrusy, almost UK type citrus, a floral something I cant put my finger on. Flavour is malt driven, a touch of yeasty complexity, UK type hop flavours come up here as well. Medium body, medium low carb. Quite bitter for a belgian style. Drinks more like an old ale but very enjoyable. Nice beer, Ian. Thanks Ian.

Cheers
Andrew.

Can safely say that the yeast I thought was Ardennes (saved and revived from a previous case swap entry) was not such, because clearly neither my entries show any Belgian yeast characteristics at all! No idea what the yeast was then .. but it worked! Glad it was drinkable at least!

Beer: 23. Cortez the Killer Devils Ink Belgian Imperial Stout
Date: 23rd April 2010
Details: 750ml bottle gold cap 23 7.7%
Sampling Notes:

Served lightly chilled in pint.

Nice loud psst on opening. Presents a nice big, thick tan head atop a near-opaque ruby-highlighted cola-coloured body.

Subdued aroma; rich molasses, burnt toffee and dark chocolate notes, hints of dark berries, plum and earthy spice.

Good weight to the body, thick somewhat velvet-like texture with a soft carbonation.

Malt driven body, rich without being cloying or overly roasty; dark chocolate, plum, black cherry, prune, wood smoke, molasses. Phenolic finish, drying with quite a high bitterness and peppery alcohol.

Solid dark Belgian strong that should age very nicely! Probably a bit more roasty that most run-of-the-mill dark strong ales, yet not as roasty as most Imperial stouts A Belgian strong porter perhaps? Either way very tasty. Cheers Gino!

Beer: 20. Gulpa Belgian Strong Dark Ale
Date: 29th April 2010
Details: 750ml bottle gold cap 20 10% -wy1388 bottled Oct 09
Sampling Notes:

Served chilled in pint.

Holds a small tight tan head atop an opaque mahogany body.

Rich aroma; dark chocolate, molasses, dough, plum, sultana, cinnamon, clove and woody spice.

Subdued carbonation, thick, silky texture with tremendous length.

Very rich, sweet flavour; lots of thick caramel and toffee, dark chocolate, rye bread, prunes and dates, cinnamon and an array of savoury spices. Warming finish, smooth, bit of bitterness and lingering husky/vegetal dryness.

Yum! This is the kind of beer I think of as liquid bread; thick, rich, nourishing; almost like a pudding in liquid form even. Top notch beer Andrew, cheers!

13. nifty - Some sort of IPA - 7.1%. Bottled 14th March 2010.

Pours a hazy dark gold. Nice head. Aroma indicates UK style IPA, malts dominate, caramel, biscuit, with yeasty esters in there as well. Plenty of flavour here, lovely almond nuttiness from the base malt, fruity yeast notes, well bittered with a touch of sweetness to balance it. UK hops come up as it warms. Medium body, lowish carb, very well balanced. Great beer. Really enjoying it. Thanks Nifty.

Cheers
Andrew.

5. Retsamhsam - AIIPA 8.2% Likely around 65-70IBU Lots of Late Hops. Bottled 11th March

I think its this one. Label is Lapulin Overload IIPA and the alc % matches.

Pours a lovely clear copper colour with a nice head that laces the glass. Aroma is all caramel malts and floral hops. Hops are more upfront in the flavour, floral/perfume dominates, some citrus, a bit of earthyness. Assertive bitterness with sweet malt balancing. Medium body. Medium carb. Fantastic balance. Great beer. Thanks Damien.

cheers
Andrew.

21. Monkeybusiness - Belgian strong 9.5% - Bottled 20-03-10

The final belgian. Pours dark ruby. Nice head that falls back a bit. Aroma starts out bananas but comes back to a lovely spicy belgian aroma with fruity esters. Spicy phenyls dominate the flavour, sweet malt, caramel. Medium carb, medium body. Nicely bittered. Some alcohol warmth which suits. Not rough at all, its now a very dark strong. Thanks MB.

18. Stuster - Belgian Blond - 8% - Wyeast 1762 - Bottled 13 Mar

Also had this one last night. No notes cos I was doing stuff. Like dozing on the lounge :huh: . Lovely looking beer with a big big fuffy head in my new duvel glass. The highlight for me was the high carb giving it a great carbonic bite. Great beer Stu. Thanks. Ive been trying to get this much carb into my belgians but havent managed it yet.

I have to say, the beers in this swap have been an awesome experience. Ive got one IPA left (FGZ) before moving onto the Stouts/barley/strong case. Next time we do this I think we should separate the UK/US IPAs. In my tastings, the UK IPAs have unjustly suffered a bit in comparison to the US IPAs. Be nice to see them in their own category next time so we can compare oranges.

cheers
Andrew.

14. Muggus - What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted (Jakes Return) NZ Imp. Brown Ale - 7.9% Bottled 19th Feb 2010 - Probably carbed by swap date, but bloody brutal!

Wow, what can I say about this one, Muggus this is a brilliant beer and I am enjoying it imensly. Over the top and somewhat brutal but balanced at the same time.

Superb job

Had one of mine last night and it is tasting ok.
Still a little young, but may be good to try one soonish and the other later on, maybe even next year.

14. Muggus - What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted (Jakes Return) NZ Imp. Brown Ale - 7.9% Bottled 19th Feb 2010 - Probably carbed by swap date, but bloody brutal!

Wow, what can I say about this one, Muggus this is a brilliant beer and I am enjoying it imensly. Over the top and somewhat brutal but balanced at the same time.

Superb job
Thanks Stu. Glad you enjoyed it! :icon_cheers:

Another one down...

Beer: 19. Retsamhsam - Dopplebock
Date: 5th May 2010
Details: Labelled 750ml bottle gold cap DOP 8/10,10.5% August 2009
Sampling Notes:

Served chilled in pint.

Bit of a gush upon opening. Pours a reasonably big fluffy, off-tan head that hangs above a hazy chocolate brown body.

Pungent oxidised aroma; cookie dough, brown sugar, rusted iron metallic note, cinnamon and woody spice, sultana, sherry and a vegetal grainy note.

Smooth, thick, almost cream-like consistency, quite high carbonation, and warming alcohol presence,

Rich malt-driven flavour; molasses, dates, bread, prunes, milk coffee, sultana, tawny port, spice and plum jam. Bit of bitterness to balance out initial sweetness; finishes dry with smooth boozy warmth. Tastes better than it smells.

Big lager with lovely malty flavours and notes of vinous oxidised fruit and spice; surprisingly so for a relatively young beer! Tasty stuff, cheers Damo.

Beer: 25. Bizier Belgian Blonde Ale
Date: 6th May 2010
Details: 750ml bottle gold cap 25,6%
Sampling Notes:

Served chilled in pint.

Presents a huge rocky white head that slowly dissipates atop a hazy gold body.

Peppery phenolics on the nose, it has a unique spiciness about it; clove, vanilla, nutmeg with a lemony ester note.

Beautifully creamy texture on the tongue, moderate carbonation and full bodied. Slight acid tartness reminds me a bit of saison.

Flavours open out quite majestically on the body; green banana, peaches and cream, ripe rockmelon, lemon pepper, clove and nutmeg, with some sort of green tannic spice that I cant quite put my finger on. Finishes with a beautifully well rounded, with sweet, tart and bitter components in perfect harmony.

Rich, velvet-like ale with a uniquely delicious yeast profile. Absolutely stunning blonde Dan, cheers!

Cheers heaps for the positive feedback Mike.

I was pretty happy with it for my first real attempt at a Belgian style. I really felt it could have been a touch drier. I find it a little too sweet for me to want to go back for third and fourth servings.

Cheers heaps for the positive feedback Mike.

I was pretty happy with it for my first real attempt at a Belgian style. I really felt it could have been a touch drier. I find it a little too sweet for me to want to go back for third and fourth servings.
You might be right about it being a touch on the sweet side. Certainly not by any means cloying, and certainly works well with the flavour profile, but I think it has the sweetness that a beer or 8-9% might have, without the warmth...quite deceptive.
If it were a bit dryer, and more attenuated especially, I reckon it'd be very much in saison territory...and there's nothing wrong with that! :icon_drool2:

14. Muggus - What Becomes Of The Broken Hearted (Jakes Return) NZ Imp. Brown Ale - 7.9%

Pours a muddy brown with a tan head. Massive hit of hops even from a distance. Some caramel malt in support.

Big lingering bitterness. Lots of hop goodness. Sweet upfront. Supporting caramel, coffee and toasty notes. Medium body. Low carb. Finishes dry.

This is an intense beer with some awesome bitter action. Great hop resin to it. Really enjoyed this one.

Cheers

Back