Nsw Ahb Xmas In July Case

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those of you sourcing your bottles from winos and street curbs, please please please sanitise well. :)

shmick said:
Will anybody have trouble with fermentor size for a 28 bottle batch?

[post="110162"][/post]​

Using trsuty old calculator, I get 28x.8 = 22.4 litres required in the bottling bucket. Allowing a few losses to racking and trub, that should see a 25L batch being enough.

I plan to brew my usual batch size of 25L and then add a 1-2L starter. that should well and truly cover it and should be just enough headspace I reckon.

I have a small dilema though, since this will be pretty much a winter ferment, and I have no heating device, I was planning on brewing an American IPA using White Labs San Francisco Lager yeast at ambient temps. Does anybody see a huge problem with this? I've never done it before, but I hate the idea of the fermentation crapping out at 1.025 and not leaving me with enough time to brew another batch... So, it would technically be an American IPL I guess ;) :p

Same I'm a little worried about the 28 bottles for the same reason, but hopefully I should be sweet.

T.D. said:
I plan to brew my usual batch size of 25L and then add a 1-2L starter. that should well and truly cover it and should be just enough headspace I reckon.

I have a small dilema though, since this will be pretty much a winter ferment, and I have no heating device, I was planning on brewing an American IPA using White Labs San Francisco Lager yeast at ambient temps. Does anybody see a huge problem with this? I've never done it before, but I hate the idea of the fermentation crapping out at 1.025 and not leaving me with enough time to brew another batch... So, it would technically be an American IPL I guess ;) :p
[post="110167"][/post]​
T.D.,
The SF Lager yeast, in my experience, needs a little time to settle and flavours to mature. If you have time, it's a nice yeast.
Another thing you could do, if space and time permit, is to brew soon (with your ale or SF lager yeast), while the weather is still warm. Then cc and store the IPA until mature, about the time the case is due.
Best of luck. Will be a monster either way! Raaaarrrr!

Seth out :p

Thanks for the info Seth, as I said I've never used the San fran lager yeast so its good to get a bit of inside info. The only problem with brewing it now is that if I decide to use the fresh Nugget flowers they don't arrive until early May. If I brewed it mid May, it would have around 1 full month in the bottle before the case swap - do you reckon that would do the trick?

I'm going to be using the san fran lager yeast all through winter anyway (too many stuck ferments last year :angry: ) so I'll have it kicking around regardless. Would also give everybody in the case swap the chance to culture it if they wanted to (being a yeast that you don't see all the time).

T.D.,

Prob depends on the beer. 4 weeks should allow a good reckoning of the flavours, even if the beer is not fully mature.

I'd like to give U more info, but my experience is a little limited, as I've only used it about 4 times.
You could always make a test batch with less fresh or other type of hops, just to test the yeast.

I don't have my brewlog here, but I was thinking about 6 weeks for the flavour to come out right.

Anyone else wanna help here? Maybe you could start a new thread for this question.

Seth out :p

T.D
If you are doing a fairly high OG IPA it may do well with a little extra time in the bottle. Therefore if you brewed early May i think that would be perfect temps inside the house (sydney) for using an ale yeast that goes down to 15*C ( maybe you have something like this.? ;) )

homebrewworld.com said:
I probably have a half dozen empty longnecks rattling round the back of my car if i get short .
[post="110149"][/post]​

Yeah......Just hit the brakes a little harder,

and when you hear 28 'clinks' its time to bottle!!!! :blink: :blink: :p

OK.
with my pending exit to the midle east, there will obviously be a hole open up in the case for someone else to slot in. i havent been through the list to see if there is a "next in waiting" but if there is, that person may want to start hoping i get a good contract.

Anyways, i havent handed over my spot just yet (i just thought it would be fun to watch people squabble for a while :p ).
so if and when i sign a contract the spot is up for grabs.

Cheers
KoNG

KoNG said:
OK.
with my pending exit to the midle east, there will obviously be a hole open up in the case for someone else to slot in. i havent been through the list to see if there is a "next in waiting" but if there is, that person may want to start hoping i get a good contract.

Anyways, i havent handed over my spot just yet (i just thought it would be fun to watch people squabble for a while :p ).
so if and when i sign a contract the spot is up for grabs.

Cheers
KoNG
[post="114639"][/post]​

KoNG,

If you do put pen to paper then Agro is next up. While on one hand I'll miss your beer (your Summer Mild was awesome), I won't be thinking of you earning all those tax free US$$ :lol:

Cheers - Brett (Ex-expat who misses earning tax free US$$ :( )

So, do you want the good news or the bad news first? :huh:

Bad, first? OK! I haven't started my beer yet. Maybe this weekend.

But the good news is that I have a good Lacto culture going, for the Weisse :lol:
and I need to know if anyone is keen for me to feed some to the porter as well. Isn't that traditional for a porter?

BTW, this time you will be unable to culture the German ale (W1007) yeast from the Weisse, as it will have live lacto, unlike last time when I performed a sour mash and killed the L. delbreuckii in the boil. Unless you want to make some agar plates and streak to separate the yeast colonies from the bacteria colonies. You could still use it for a sour beer, if you want. Just be aware that breweries, I'm told, have a hard time getting rid of lacto from their equipment, if the brewery becomes lacto-infected.

How is everyone else progressing with their brew?

sour Seth out :p

Kegging my thought for the case tomorrow, a Victory Hop Devil clone. If it tastes up to scratch, then that may well be the beer for it and will brew it in the next week or two, followed by a little CC'ing and maturing.

Whatever it turns out to be, it will have a lot of hops in it :lol:

Cheers.

I'm going to go with an Irish Red.
Having difficulty getting CaraRed in NSW though, so will be expanding my search to Victoria.

Beers,
Doc

I have sorted out a recipe for my American IPA. Looks nice on paper but it will be the first one I have made (although I've done a million APAs before). I won't be doing it for a few of weeks yet. Does anybody advise against this, because I can easily swap it with a brew I have planned next weekend. It will be well and truly ready by July, but its just a question of bottle conditioning.

T.D.,

Make what you feel best and most comfortable with. It's all about trying different beers. If some are the same style it is no problem.

Cheers.

With all this talk of the case, you guys are starting to make me nervous.

I haven't even contemplated brewing, chiefly cause its still to hot at the moment. I have figured out what i'm going to do though, i think i will give the AIPA Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale that i have talked about in other threads a shot.

For my information, so i can get the sequencing down pat, when in July were you thinking of doing the switcheroos?I made need to contemplate brewing in the next couple of weeks.

Will

Duff said:
T.D.,

Make what you feel best and most comfortable with. It's all about trying different beers. If some are the same style it is no problem.

Cheers.
[post="114725"][/post]​

The way I see it, an AIPA is just like a beefed up APA, so it shouldn't be an issue. I guess you can't help but be a bit nervous about brewing a style that you haven't technically done before, and then sharing it with other people who's opinions you value.

One thing I might say though is that I am not overly experienced with dry hopping - I usually just resort to just a flamout addition. I know there is bugger all that can go wrong with dry hopping and it is in style for an AIPA, but all the same, I might just throw all the aroma hops in at flameout.

Should be good though, looking forward to it in a big way!

Relax boys, it's still March. Plenty of time left yet to hone the brew or do a practice run.

Cheers.

When it comes to brewing i like to think i'm relaxed, but my non brewing mates think i'm irrational at best.

Who seriously worries about attentuation or whether the yeast are floccing out to early. Despite what i tell myself, this for me is serious business.

I can't wait for the White Christ mas case, and i look forward to everyones contributions.

Will

Latest posts

Back