NSW 2016 xmas case swap - tasting and recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10 Paulyman's Gose

Really limited experience with this style and have had probably 3 in total of which 2 I did not like. So I approached this with a little trepidation. I had another long day in the heat finishing off a retaining wall so needed a beer.

The beer at first mouth I found a little strange and could not pick it maybe cucumber ? Or pickle taste? I could just taste the salt as well. As a newbie to the style the first 3 or so mouthfuls were just strange, but after that I absolutely LOVED it what a drink for a hot day. I probably a little quickly drank the next few glasses and was devastated when it was gone. Still struggle to define the taste, cucumber lightly salted , citrus and really refreshing.. given the Australian client I have to wonder why beers like this are not sold everywhere.

Not sure how hard to make but I would love to see the recipe and guide as I could easily have this on tap.

Reman said:
Thanks for the feedback guys. The citrus was much stronger early on and much like an IPA it's faded during the Lager. Might have benefited from dry hopping/zesting again before bottling...next time.

Fun fact, this was pitched with a passatta jar of yeast cake at 3c, rose to 22c(!) over the next 24 hours and stayed there til cold crash about 5 days later.
I want to preface my comments by saying that i tried the citrus lager and that this beer was great!

In saying that, i don't feel that I learn anything from people just saying it's good... so I want to ask a few questions if possible.

The flavour was so different from when it was cold to when it warmed. When cold it had more earthy and resiny notes to it, and like others said it opened up to a more citrus aroma and flavour.

You added hops sub-15min and possibly as whirlpool additions? Felt like i was getting a lot of bitterness from the beta acid components in the hops is my guess. Also got toffee/caramel from the warmed beer as well, did you use crystal?

One thing I picked up was a flavour that i have only experienced in my own beers and one other beer from brewery on the Central Coast, but it disappeared as it warmed. I put the flavour in my own beers down to yeast health, and it's interesting you said you repitched a jar. How old was the yeast? As the beer warmed, the flavour wasn't present. I took one of my suspect batches to 3 different brew shops to try and diagnose this flavour and nobody could pick it up. It's possible that i have a lower sensitivity threshold to this compound, but interesting i got it in this beer.

Like i said, was a cracking beer and interesting to see how Mouteka fares in lagers/ales.

fungrel said:
You added hops sub-15min and possibly as whirlpool additions? Felt like i was getting a lot of bitterness from the beta acid components in the hops is my guess. Also got toffee/caramel from the warmed beer as well, did you use crystal?

One thing I picked up was a flavour that i have only experienced in my own beers and one other beer from brewery on the Central Coast, but it disappeared as it warmed. I put the flavour in my own beers down to yeast health, and it's interesting you said you repitched a jar. How old was the yeast? As the beer warmed, the flavour wasn't present. I took one of my suspect batches to 3 different brew shops to try and diagnose this flavour and nobody could pick it up. It's possible that i have a lower sensitivity threshold to this compound, but interesting i got it in this beer.
Happy to answer any questions!

Motueka was added in equal amounts at 60, 30 and 10 mins. I also lightly dry hopped with it along with the citrus peel and juice.

Crystal was 4% caramunich, so more than a touch but not over the top.

Regarding the flavour, if you tend to get it with lagers the it may be you are sensitive to sulphur. The yeast I used, Wyeast Bavarian, throws a ton of sulphur. Cold it might be detectable and as it warms the other flavours overwhelm it?

Edit: glad you likes it!

Reman said:
Happy to answer any questions!

Motueka was added in equal amounts at 60, 30 and 10 mins. I also lightly dry hopped with it along with the citrus peel and juice.

Crystal was 4% caramunich, so more than a touch but not over the top.

Regarding the flavour, if you tend to get it with lagers the it may be you are sensitive to sulphur. The yeast I used, Wyeast Bavarian, throws a ton of sulphur. Cold it might be detectable and as it warms the other flavours overwhelm it?

Edit: glad you likes it!
All the beers i tried with the flavour were ales. Your theory still checks out though, i think it definitely is a fermentation byproduct.

Interesting.. i don't think i have tried a beer with citrus peel and juice, definitely gave it a different edge which was great.

The other option I thought of was that I dry hopped mid-fermentation to get some bio-transformation action. Perhaps it's some by product of that?

Word of warning...

Shame of shames...

My RIS (#17) appears to be a gusher. I cracked the one that came home from the swap last night and it was a full gusher.
I also bottled some of the same brew in stubbie form, (back in July) and had tried a quite a few of them just before I entered the swap (in early November), and they were perfect in terms of carbonation.
I therefore suspected a poorly mixed in bulk prime.
So I tried 2 more of the stubbies tonight and they both gushed too.
They all tasted ok (to my limited palette), so I'm doubting an infection, and assuming I just bottled it too soon. My records show it was aerated and pitched onto a fresh yeast cake for just over 3 weeks, but I've no record of the finishing gravity, so perhaps I just assumed it was done when it wasn't quite. Perhaps the heat we've had lately has got them fired them up again?

I recommend fridging immediately, drinking soon, (been 5 months in bottle already), and opening very carefully.

Ian: this applies to the stubbies i gave you for your piggybacking services too.

Apologies, Clayton.

just fridge it now. thanks for the heads up

#4 mattfos01 Kolsch

Wow. This is crazy clear. I mean absolutely crystal clear (until I gave the dregs a bit of a mix up and poured the yeast into the glass, because that's how I roll with my Kolsches). I'm quite into Kolsch beers at the moment so very happy to be drinking this. Particularly as it's an absolute belter.

Honestly, couldn't pick a single fault with this beer other than perhaps my impatience to drink it and so it's a touch warmer than I'd want to drink it but hey, more flavour.

Straw yellow, moderate carbonation, one finger width head that didn't stick around too long but that's fine by me for this beer. As above, clarity is off the chart clear - check out the attached photo.

Really, really clean, crisp flavour, moderate bitterness, very very slight sweetness that is well balanced. I like this a lot. It is a cracker and you should be really chuffed with this one.

IMG_20161217_165339.jpg

drclaybro said:
Word of warning...

Shame of shames...

My RIS (#17) appears to be a gusher. I cracked the one that came home from the swap last night and it was a full gusher.
I also bottled some of the same brew in stubbie form, (back in July) and had tried a quite a few of them just before I entered the swap (in early November), and they were perfect in terms of carbonation.
I therefore suspected a poorly mixed in bulk prime.
So I tried 2 more of the stubbies tonight and they both gushed too.
They all tasted ok (to my limited palette), so I'm doubting an infection, and assuming I just bottled it too soon. My records show it was aerated and pitched onto a fresh yeast cake for just over 3 weeks, but I've no record of the finishing gravity, so perhaps I just assumed it was done when it wasn't quite. Perhaps the heat we've had lately has got them fired them up again?

I recommend fridging immediately, drinking soon, (been 5 months in bottle already), and opening very carefully.

Ian: this applies to the stubbies i gave you for your piggybacking services too.

Apologies, Clayton.
Sadly it went all over the place. It is a shame because what I managed to get into the glass was bloody tasty. Really, really tasty. You should make it again!

IMG_20161217_175123.jpg

welly2 said:
#4 mattfos01 Kolsch

Wow. This is crazy clear. I mean absolutely crystal clear (until I gave the dregs a bit of a mix up and poured the yeast into the glass, because that's how I roll with my Kolsches). I'm quite into Kolsch beers at the moment so very happy to be drinking this. Particularly as it's an absolute belter.

Honestly, couldn't pick a single fault with this beer other than perhaps my impatience to drink it and so it's a touch warmer than I'd want to drink it but hey, more flavour.

Straw yellow, moderate carbonation, one finger width head that didn't stick around too long but that's fine by me for this beer. As above, clarity is off the chart clear - check out the attached photo.

Really, really clean, crisp flavour, moderate bitterness, very very slight sweetness that is well balanced. I like this a lot. It is a cracker and you should be really chuffed with this one.

attachicon.gif
IMG_20161217_165339.jpg

Thanks mate. I am enjoying polishing off the rest of the case I put together for the full size swap. More for me!

I've been lucky, which is unusual for me. Had Clayton's case swap beer and it poured fine. Was absolutely delicious. Had a couple of the smaller ones as well which Ian and I split, they have all poured fine as well.

#12 FGZ cocoa porter, was a violent gusher. Aroma was mouthwatering though, smelled just like opening a fresh can of cocoa but unfortunately i couldn't get much in a glass.

#4 mattfos01 Kolsch was fantastic, welly2 summed it up best. Wondering what your method of aeration and amount of yeast pitched for your batch?

Getting ready for road trip, needed beers.

4, mattfos01 kolsch. Enjoyed it thoroughly on a warm evening. Poured well with good carbonation, appearance is crystal clear straw colour. Nose and flavour, pine needles, resin, nice and fresh. Good beer, well done.

6, Contrarian brett saison. Another good hot weather beer. Poured well, low carb, but persistent head. Slight haze, but otherwise reasonably clear. I struggle with descriptors for this beer as I've had limited exposure to brett in the past, but I know what I like. Good mouth feel, dry on the end with the funky finish. Good beer, well done.

Kolsch, I usually do a 2.5 L starter, save some yeast from the over size starter and put it in the fridge. Pitch the rest, say best part of a 2L decanted starter? Oxygen via 2min of pure O2 at 1L a min. Normal routine.

On a roll.

17. drclaybro. RIS 'czar's red'. As advertised, a gusher. It's a shame because what I did get in glass was delicious with a good coffee note and warming alcohol.

10. Paulyman's Gose

I'm also not that familiar with the style, I've had a Gose once before and I wasn't really taken by it. I'm finding this one still a bit unusual and that's not to say it's not a well made beer because it clearly is. Clarity was also right up there with the Kolsch. Hop aroma was appealing, nice bitterness but it just doesn't drink well for me and that's totally down to the beer style. I don't have a palate educated enough to enjoy it, Paulyman! I think you should be chuffed with this because it's definitely a really well made beer, but sadly wasted on my heathen tongue. I did finish it though!

4 Kolsch ... had it at Christmas lunch, I agree with previous comment really enjoyed it... could have spent all day drinking it

[#12 FGZ cocoa porter, was a violent gusher. Aroma was mouthwatering though, smelled just like opening a fresh can of cocoa but unfortunately i couldn't get much in a glass.

Sorry to hear that. I drank my last one yesterday with no problems, so sounds like you got a crappy bottle. My apologies.

Good news was I drank your no. 12 .. Lovely. Echo all previous comments.

12. Fungrel - American Lawnmower (Wheat) -. Love the beer i found a great hop aromam really nice can't match it to the style but love the beer. Unlike others I got a nice strong hop flavour which i really liked, for me my fav beer are this and the #4 Kolsch .. Despite the lawnmower beer title i think the Kolsch is the hot day beer for me, and the #12 i could have just as I sit down for a meal. Well done nice beer

#15 Beamer Pale Ale

IMAG0329.jpg

Pours clear dark straw(?) with a medium loose head that fades relativity quickly
Punch to the nose with beautiful aroma, I think I smell grapefruit with a bit of sweet bread (like banana bread... but not) in the background.
Grapefruit follows to the tongue with a little harsh bitterness (just a little harsh, I like it that way ;)) ad just a little bit of residual sweetness.
Mouthfeel (IMHO) is what let this beer down, it was well undercarbed, borderline flat.

This was a good beer, if it was carbed up, this could be a great beer. The nose was great. The taste just needed the carbonation to counteract the sweetness (hops and malt), after about 500mL in, it gets very cloying.

It doesnt taste like there was any priming sugar left (have sample that plenty enough), and with the weather we have been having, I doubt it would have a hope in hell not to have finished off.

I really hope my bottle just got the rough end of the priming stick

Back