Nottingham Ale Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried Nottingham for the first time. Pitched 2 packs into 42 litres of dry stout (OG 1.042) on Friday night. Walk out this morning to the garage to find the foam has "just" climbed from the airlock and the fermentation is all but finished!! :eek:

Scary part is it was a 60 litre fermenter so I had around 20% headspace... What a crazy yeast! :super:

Flavour is perfect for dry stout. Dry and roasty. :)

I'm sold!!!

Warren -

mmm maybe I should have gone the Nottingham in my IPA instead of the Wyeast Thames Valley!?! I have only 5 days left to finish secondary and keg it before heading OS :blink:

Leave me the keys Devo and I'll try a litre a day for evaluation whilst you're abroad. :D

Warren -

Sounds good Warren, I reckon Nottingham would be a good yeast for a stout. This reminds me, I saw an interesting thread a while back that asked if anybody had done a side by side test between dry Nottingham and liquid Nottingham. Unfortunately I don't think anybody replied so maybe nobody's done it (I'll try and find the thread though and post a link in case anybody has any comments). I recently went on a tour of a Microbrewery in Sydney which uses dry Nottingham in all of their beers, regardless of style, I guess just out of convenience. The beers were good, but were pretty lifeless and a bit, dare I say, "boring". That also got me wondering if the liquid culture would be any different. I know a lot of people claim there is a difference between US-56 and WLP001/WY1056, so maybe there are some advantages to the liquid alternative??? Anyone tried both types? :unsure:

edit: here is that thread I mentioned... http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=16661

T.D. Which Whitelabs or Wyeast strain is the Nottingham equivalent? :unsure:

(Time to go and change that blackened airlock :blink: )

Warren -

Leave me the keys Devo and I'll try a litre a day for evaluation whilst you're abroad. :D

Warren -

Hahaha noice try warren :p

One thing fer sure is that I'm going to have a well lagered Schwarz and a couple of well conditioned Ales by the time I get back.

Don't care about any contest between the two Jye, both have their applications, and I like using both. Think to do a fair comparison thew would need to be active in wort of the same composition fermented at the same temp and allowed to finish and floc out to draw a good comparison. Lot of f'n about and
009579001164487056-final.gif

Agreed.

I'm about a week into such an experiment - double batch of my boring house ale, one half pitched with US-05 and the other with Nottingham. Both pretty much done now, but for that week of invisible activity...

There's stuff I like about both yeasts and although I might favour one over the other (and probably flip-flop between them and try others now and again), I *probably* won't constrain myself to just the one. I mean, you wouldn't only ever use just one hop variety, would you? ;)

T.D. Which Whitelabs or Wyeast strain is the Nottingham equivalent? :unsure:

(Time to go and change that blackened airlock :blink: )

Warren -

WLP039 by the looks of that thread I attached the link to. Haven't checked that though to make sure...

just out of curiosity, would Nottingham be the same yeast that coopers use? I found that the coopers yeast performs in a very similar manner?

I like nottinham. Ive used a few times (stouts). I pitched 3 packs into my RIS 2 weeks ago (OG of ~1.15-1.2). No airlock action for a bout 1 week. took an SG ~1.040ish. Not a bad little yeast to chew through that in about a week. FG is still to high so i pitched some champaigne yeast last night. God the SG sample had some kick :blink: :excl:

go nottingham.

WLP039 by the looks of that thread I attached the link to. Haven't checked that though to make sure...

I always thought that Coopers use their own strand they've had for over 100 years. Might've had the same origins, though, I guess....

Cheers - Snow

I pitched a packet of Nottinghams yesterday morning at 6:00am and still had not activity this morning at 6:00am, am i being to impatient or should i try pitching another packet.

Temp of wort is at 18c

Rook

I pitched a packet of Nottinghams yesterday morning at 6:00am and still had not activity this morning at 6:00am, am i being to impatient or should i try pitching another packet.

Temp of wort is at 18c

Rook

patience :) I'm assuming you just sprinkled & didn't rehydrate first. This will always take a little longer.

Cheers Ross

Temp of wort is at 18c

Rook
Patience, grasshopper.

Temp of wort is at 18c

Rook
Any sign of Krausen yet?
It can't hurt to pitch another rehydrated pack, to be sure.

just out of curiosity, would Nottingham be the same yeast that coopers use? I found that the coopers yeast performs in a very similar manner?
I'm pretty sure they're different strains. They have very different taste/smell. The Nottingham has a distinct smell of many a pub Ale in the UK, while the Coopers yeast is more a woody/fruity banana sandwitch type of character :p

he Nottingham has a distinct smell of many a pub Ale in the UK, while the Coopers yeast is more a woody/fruity banana sandwitch type of character :p

funny you should say that, I gave my old man a choc mahogony stout Monday night that I'd used nottingham in and he said it reminded him on the UK beers/pubs. well the first thing he said after tasting it was that it was like road tar! but by the end of the bottle he was really enjoying it. but then again at 6.3% he should have been!!

re delay in nottingham kicking off, I would think that 24-48 hours is ok. my last one kicked off in about 3 hours, but i'd areated the crap out of it, had 3 packs of yeast and over 4kg of fermentables.

Dragging up an old Topic, but was one of the first results of a search..

Just put Batz Altbier into fermenter tonight and tried rehydrating yeast(danstar nottingham) as per instructions and did ok, question is... Is this yeast fine just to pitch dry without any adverse affects????

Also after reading this topic and the effects this yeast has on a brew, and also pitching a 2ltr starter of Wyeast 3068 - Weihenstephan on a wit tonight also, maybe my fermenting fridge could end up a complete f--king mess with these 2 brews in there at the same time... :huh:

:eek: CB

I have used Nottingham dry pitched straight on top of the wort and not stirred in. No problems at all. Great yeast flocks out like concrete in the bottom of the fermenter.

Cheers
Gavo.

Latest posts

Back