Nottingham Ale Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The way i do it is..... boil some water pour it into a cup cool it to pitching temp and pour the sachet of yeast in, let it sit for ~15mins give it a stir with a sterile teaspoon and pour it into your fermenter.

Thanks Hopsta i revisited the site and the instructionshave been simplified I understand now

3. Usage
When the recommended 1gm per litre of active dried yeast is used to inoculate, a yeast density of 510 million cells per millilitre is achieved. Brewer may experiment with the pitching rate to achieve a desired beer style or to suit processing conditions.
Sprinkle the yeast on the surface of 10 times its weight of clean, sterilized (boiled) water at 3035C. Do not use wort, or distilled or reverse osmosis water, as loss in viability will result. DO NOT STIR. Leave undisturbed for 15 minutes, then stir to suspend yeast completely, and leave it for 5 more minutes at 3035C. Then adjust temperature to that of the wort and inoculate without delay.
Attemperate in steps at 5-minute intervals of 10C to the temperature of the wort by mixing aliquots of wort. Do not allow attemperation to be carried out by natural heat loss. This will take too long and could result in loss of viability or vitality.
Temperature shock, at greater than 10C, will cause formation of petite mutants leading to long-term or incomplete fermentation and possible formation of undesirable flavours.
Nottingham British Ale yeast has been conditioned to survive rehydration. The yeast contains an adequate reservoir of carbohydrates and unsaturated fatty acids to achieve active growth. It is unnecessary to aerate wort.
Good tolerance to low fermentation temperatures, 14C (57F), allow this strain to brew lager-style beer. Recommended 14 to 21C (57 to 70F) fermentation temperature range.

pumpy :)

I am fermenting tommorrow

Four days at 14C cant wait

pumpy :)

Altstart & Batz , What temperture would you ferment it at.

do you pitch it dry or how do you start it wet ?

I have a wort ready it is a strong English bitter should work out about 5.7% would it be suitable

Pumpy :)

I ferment at 14c,during winter I don't ferment in the fridge so day time temp. may rise a little.Summer it's into the fridge at 14c.
I never pitch dry,my way of thinking is rehydration is important...only IMO :p

This is not a yeast for all beers (what yeast is?),still works wells for the brews I use it in.

Batz

Hey Batz in simple terms how do you rehydrate it , I read instructions on site but tis too complicated for me ?

Sprinkle yeast on the surface of clean boiled water,10 times the weight of the yeast
11gm packet 110ml water...at 30-35C

do not stir.allow to sit 15 min

then stir

leave another 5 min.

add the wort,should be around 18c

Batz

Batz,
What type of beer is this yeast specifically for? I did the Bitter and pitched on the yeast cake for the APA, I thought that this was perfect for an English style bitter.

The flavour at this stage is nothing like I expected; would be good to try someone else's beer.

You off to Ross's on Sunday?
AC

Thanks Hopsta and Batz the knowlege on this site is better than you can ever read in a book

Pumpy

:eek: Wow , I have been fermenting this batch for two days at 13-14 C and the Krausen is about seven inches high ,its a monster cant wait for this one its in a high ish gravity beer

:eek: Wow , I have been fermenting this batch for two days at 13-14 C and the Krausen is about seven inches high ,its a monster cant wait for this one its in a high ish gravity beer

Goes off hey Pumpy?

Aussie Claret,sorry I didn't see your post till just now.
Nottingham is good for any English ale,I use it in my Alt.

Batz

Goes off hey Pumpy?

Aussie Claret,sorry I didn't see your post till just now.
Nottingham is good for any English ale,I use it in my Alt.

Batz

Goes off alright Batz . :blink:

I activated the dried yeast as you said .

left the fermenter overnight outside the fridge to get it started .

Set the fridge for 14C and , I have never seen a yeast go so well at that temp .

I reckon it would have climbed out of the fermenter at room temp .

Screwtop gave me some of his to show me how it worked. Farken amazing! :D Needs a seatbelt to hold it in the fermenter! :D

I just did my first beer with Nottingham, my usual schwarzbier recipe.
Only been in the keg a few days, but I'm initially dissappointed. The beer lacks malt character IMO & finishes with a slightly astringent dusty taste. I'm reserving full judgement until it's had a little aging, but I don't think I'll be using in a dark ale for a while.

cheers Ross

Ross,

I am making a Strong English bitter with the Nottingham yeast with an original gravity of 1.059 it is down to 1.015 tasted it out of the fermenter and was really nice

I always find it difficult judging a beer out of the fermenter as they change when carbonated really pleased with this cant wait , I will filter this one on Monday and get kegged as have an empty keg .

Will definately use in the Aidens Irish red just mashed . Pumpy

When using Nottingham, I have mashed as warm as 68C and achieved relatively dry beers. I suspect the combination of a 65C mash and Nottingham would result in a dusty dry grainy sort of a a beer.

Best Nottingham beer to date was the 2nd brewing of the recipe attached. We split it between Nottingham & Windsor, and both halves were great beers.

cheers,
Colin

View attachment 58_pale_ale.html

Here is an interesting pic I took today showing that US56 flocculates better than Nottingham. Both yeast cakes were bottled yesterday arvo and have been in the fridge at 1C since.

Nottingham is on the left in a 2L bottle and US56 on the right in a 4L bottle.

Nottus56.jpg

Here is an interesting pic I took today showing that US56 flocculates better than Nottingham. Both yeast cakes were bottled yesterday arvo and have been in the fridge at 1C since.

Nottus56.jpg

Jye ,

I have been drinking the beer I made with the Nottingham yeast since Friday it has floculated well but I only had in secondary for three day a couple pof weeks and it would have been really clear .

I did not bother filtering it as it looked OK and was desperate ,I fermented at 14C and the attenuation was great , three pints of this and the picture on the wall keeps moving .so it has fermented out well would not wanted it to be real dry .

I've just put down a bitter with the slurry from the previous beer and the Nottingham yeast is happily working away again.

I'm a big fan of this yeast's work.

Now sounding like a broken record, I LOVE this yeast <_< Racked an Alt fermented at 15c made from it yesterday, and IMO it's a very good beer, went from 1062 to 1015 and at 6.1%, also used it in my wifes Ginger Beer and it is 3.8% when the usual yeast came in at 3.3-3.5% and the ginger taste seems stonger <_< .
Ferment it low [for a ale] and it gives a lager style to it, even with ginger beer which was a suprise.

Brewed a Dark ale (Nottingham) an English bitter (Nottingham) & an APA (US56) on Monday - Sprinkled both yeasts without rehydrating onto the wort at 17c Tuesday lunchtime. Today the APA going well at 1022 but the Dark ale at 1014 & the English Bitter at 1006 both all finished... Nottingham a clear winner in the speed stakes...

cheers Ross

Nottus56.jpg

Don't care about any contest between the two Jye, both have their applications, and I like using both. Think to do a fair comparison thew would need to be active in wort of the same composition fermented at the same temp and allowed to finish and floc out to draw a good comparison. Lot of f'n about and
009579001164487056-final.gif

Mark me down as a fan too. Pitched into a porter sunday afternoon 1048 OG @ ~18 C looks done already 1008 FG. Three days!! Bloody hell :)

Latest posts

Back