Nottingham Ale Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

altstart

Reaction score
:beer:
Gooday all
I have read with interest the comments made about Nottingham ale yeast by its supporters on this forum. I finally managed to get some <from Ross @ craftbrewer> and I decided to use it last thursday 20/7/06 I brewed 60 ltrs of Crouch Vale best bitter. I pitched 50 grams of Nottingham yeast @ 5pm on brewday. On Monday I took a reading with my refractometer when entered into Beersmith I was informed that my beer had reached 1005. I left the beer for an additional day simply because I did not believe the readings I had got. I kegged and filtered this beer today I have also sampled a pint tonight. I also brewed 60 ltrs of Bosuns best bitter today and pitched onto the yeast cake from the Crouch Vale best bitter. As the wort came out of my CFC the yeast cake jumped into action before the new wort had finished chilling. As I type Im into my second pint of this beer and I cannot believe the quality. I am now a fervent fan of this yeast. Batz I should have tried it sooner but I could not find a supply.

Cheers Altstart :chug:

Gooday all
I have read with interest the comments made about Nottingham ale yeast by its supporters on this forum. I finally managed to get some <from Ross @ craftbrewer> and I decided to use it last thursday 20/7/06 I brewed 60 ltrs of Crouch Vale best bitter. I pitched 50 grams of Nottingham yeast @ 5pm on brewday. On Monday I took a reading with my refractometer when entered into Beersmith I was informed that my beer had reached 1005. I left the beer for an additional day simply because I did not believe the readings I had got. I kegged and filtered this beer today I have also sampled a pint tonight. I also brewed 60 ltrs of Bosuns best bitter today and pitched onto the yeast cake from the Crouch Vale best bitter. As the wort came out of my CFC the yeast cake jumped into action before the new wort had finished chilling. As I type Im into my second pint of this beer and I cannot believe the quality. I am now a fervent fan of this yeast. Batz I should have tried it sooner but I could not find a supply.

Cheers Altstart :chug:

It's a great yeast Altstart
Not for all brews but for Alts,or many other ales it's as good as some liquid yeasts.
As I have said before,you should have some in the fridge for a standby at the very least.
And Partial and even K&K brewers,try something different? Just try this yeast,easy azz

Batz

Do you guys think that Nottingham brews with any discernible tartness to the brew?

I gave it a shot with Yeast from the Jovial Monk for two beers and they tasted slightly tart, which definately hindered my ability to drink it.

I'm more inclined to think that the problem wasn't the yeast itself but the packaging of the yeast (it was done not to the standards of other yeast packagers) ie below standards

Will

PS I think you guys are swinging me back round to it though..........

Has any one done a split batch between nottingham and Us 56?

Could be an interesting comparo.

Has any one done a split batch between nottingham and Us 56?

Could be an interesting comparo.

Yep I have, twice now, I posted my results some time back Link and have also mixed the two yeasts in the same brew and all I could tell it was all Nottingham in taste [for me] it has a smell and taste you can't miss and it is very nice.
Love this yeast and the way the turb sets on the bottom, it also looks like the surface of the moon :p ,
A half a cup from the turb pitched into a fresh wort and away it goes again.

Jesus Ive just been over to my shed pitching directly on to this yeast cake is a big mistake. Its climbed out of the airlock. I believe Bindi is right a cup is all that is needed. I havent lost too much clean it up and keg on Tuesday next week.
Cheers Altstart

I brewed 20L of IPA on the weekend with an OG of 1.070 and after 3 days at 17C and a nice 2 inch krausen the gravity had dropped to 1.022. All of the krausen has died away so I have raised the temp for the last few points but it sounds like I may not have needed to do this.

Another 10 days until I keg but the gravity samples taste good.

...and I pitched 20gm hydrated.

So if I read right, the pitching rate is 1g/litre. For a 20l batch, I need 2x11g packs?

So if I read right, the pitching rate is 1g/litre. For a 20l batch, I need 2x11g packs?

Yep, its easy to do and more cost effective with a 500g block.

Really? 2 Packs? - ive only ever pitched one 11gm pack of Nottingham without any dramas? But then again that has only been with kits and a recent Willamette Ale Partial.

Steve, check out the Danstar website.

Proper Pitching Levels

My question is concerning the proper amount of dry yeast to pitch to a 5 gallon batch. Years ago it was always 1 (5 gram packet) to 5 gallons. A couple years ago it was two 5 gram packets. At present it has been recommended to pitch 15 or 20 grams of dry yeast. I believe its time to issue good firm advice on the real amount of dry yeast to pitch. (Ale & Lager)..

Response from Dr. Clayton Cone:
Ernie,
I am glad that you brought this to my attention. It would be neat if there could be a label with a single inoculating rate that would satisfy all beer makers and all worts. The initial instructions for inoculation rates came from the Beer Kit makers 10 - 20+ years ago. They were well aware of the sensitivity of the home beer maker to cost, so they offered the minimum amount of yeast possible to do the job. A few pennies more to cover the cost of adding more yeast would lose them many customers. Today the kit makers and the beer yeast producers are aware that the home beer maker is willing to pay for quality and increased amount of yeast for pitching if it is needed to give improved control over the fermentation. Both are beginning to respond. Some label changes have already been made in response to the trend to increase the inoculating rates. Others will be made in the near future.

Built into the ADY Beer Yeast is a large trehalose reserve that gets the freshly rehydrated yeast off to a good start. It does not require as high a cell population for pitching as it does for the repitching.

For a 10 Plato wort, I would be comfortable with two packets / 5 gallons wort. If you are satisfied with the fermentation rate and the taste of the finished product you should stick with the 2 packets / 5 gallons. This will give you about eight million yeast cells per ml. of wort. If you are not happy with the fermentation rate and the attenuation of your particular wort then you should experiment with 3 or more packets.

If you go to a higher gravity wort and or dark wort you will need to experiment with higher pitching rates.

When we went on the tour of the Lord Nelson during the AHB Sydney pub crawl a couple of months ago, the brewer there said that he uses Nottingham for ALL their brews, ranging from Wheat beer to Porter. it just goes to show the versatility of this yeast.

i gotta try some soon.

beers

Crozdog

When we went on the tour of the Lord Nelson during the AHB Sydney pub crawl a couple of months ago, the brewer there said that he uses Nottingham for ALL their brews, ranging from Wheat beer to Porter. it just goes to show the versatility of this yeast.

i gotta try some soon.

beers

Crozdog

And so does another very well know micro brewery

Batz

Jesus Ive just been over to my shed pitching directly on to this yeast cake is a big mistake. Its climbed out of the airlock. I believe Bindi is right a cup is all that is needed. I havent lost too much clean it up and keg on Tuesday next week.
Cheers Altstart

I cleaned up the mess this morning and re sanitised the fermenter lid and went off to work. Got home @ 5.30 pm and this beer is almost finished. This yeast is very aggressive I am very impressed. By the way the Crouch Vale best bitter is drinking very nicely. I will try to hold on to a keg for a while to compare how the beer ages.
Cheers Altstart

I've used this yeast in two different batches, what are you thoughts on flavour?

To me it's not a clean as US56, has that kind of estery profile similar to Saf SO4. (may even be described as a bubble gum flavour)

Both batches one, an AG special bitter the other an APA have exactly the same flavour profile, and both have completely different hops and grain base. Both cool fermented the bitter at 14-15c the APA slightly higher around 17-18c.

Both were good fermentations and had good attenuation finishing at 1.010 and 1.008 respectively. Both beers have that dryish characterisitic.

I'd be interested in your thoughts and if further CCing is going to change the flavour profile?

AC

I just did my first beer with Nottingham, my usual schwarzbier recipe.
Only been in the keg a few days, but I'm initially dissappointed. The beer lacks malt character IMO & finishes with a slightly astringent dusty taste. I'm reserving full judgement until it's had a little aging, but I don't think I'll be using in a dark ale for a while.

cheers Ross

Straight up this is not the yeast for an APA

Batz

Altstart & Batz , What temperture would you ferment it at.

do you pitch it dry or how do you start it wet ?

I have a wort ready it is a strong English bitter should work out about 5.7% would it be suitable

Pumpy :)

I have a wort ready it is a strong English bitter should work out about 5.7% would it be suitable

I ferment at 14c,during winter I don't ferment in the fridge so day time temp. may rise a little.Summer it's into the fridge at 14c.
I never pitch dry,my way of thinking is rehydration is important...only IMO :p

This is not a yeast for all beers (what yeast is?),still works wells for the brews I use it in.

Batz

I ferment at 14c,during winter I don't ferment in the fridge so day time temp. may rise a little.Summer it's into the fridge at 14c.
I never pitch dry,my way of thinking is rehydration is important...only IMO :p

This is not a yeast for all beers (what yeast is?),still works wells for the brews I use it in.

Batz

Hey Batz in simple terms how do you rehydrate it , I read instructions on site but tis too complicated for me ?

Latest posts

Back