Not The Computer Type?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DKS

Reaction score
As I have very limited computer skills I thought there may be others who need help as well communicating on AHB. A thread where basic functions can be sorted, like, How do I? How can I? What does this key do? etc etc. Real basic every day stuff for the boffins but stuff that is so frustrating for others itll do your head in.
Heres a few to start;
How to I attach a pic when I PM some-one?
Can I just copy and paste a beersmith page that I see as other peoples recipes? ( It doesnt look the same in the beersmith program)
How can I reduce the size of mb in pics so I can attach more than two in a post?

Im sure there would be a thousand more similar questions by others. Maybe they're to shy to ask. :unsure:
Daz

A lot of AHB members work in I.T. as you would expect from a hobby that is ideal for Aspergers types :lol: so maybe someone could write a guide. The image thing is a bit of a bugger I must admit. The best route is to join an image 'album' site like Photobucket, upload your photos and link your post to them. The photobucket site actually gives you the code to paste into a forum post to link to your photo.
However in my case when including a photo in a post I do a really hick thing that works well for me and takes me probably far less time than friggin around with photobucket.

Take photo
bring it up on screen
do a print screen/sysRq whatever sysRq means
drop the screen into paint
crop
save to my 'forum pics' folder and upload from there
OK it's 4.54

here's a photo on my camera, I'll just upload it and post it:

CSA.jpg

Ok that's a big file and it took about a minute to do that.
Now I'll drop it into paint and save it, upload it and post:

csa2.JPG

of course it's got shyte around it so I'll crop it and repost

csa3.JPG

done, took me about three or four minutes, note the first pic is 915k, the second one 99 k and the third one 62k
There are also jpeg shrinking programs out there but I reckon my method is fast and easy.

XP has a plugin that means you can just right click and choose 'resize picture' (or something like that). If you search the windows website for 'image resizer' you should find it. SInce I have a Vista machine I use a program called 'Image ReSizer 1.6' which came with the computer.

Gday Daz, Mate I just had to get SWMBO show me how to downsize the pics because the new camera was storing them at 4.yadayada MB. Went into HP Digital Photography (HP Media Centre, apparently that means something) and chose the size I wanted. Was rather easy once I was shown.

If all else fails get Sully over to show ya, he sits and plays on the computer all day :ph34r: .

Brad

Gday Daz, Mate I just had to get SWMBO show me how to downsize the pics because the new camera was storing them at 4.yadayada MB. Went into HP Digital Photography (HP Media Centre, apparently that means something) and chose the size I wanted. Was rather easy once I was shown.

If all else fails get Sully over to show ya, he sits and plays on the computer all day :ph34r: .

Brad

Ah-ha! I new I wasnt alone brad. I have that HP media thing I think , Ill give it a try.
Thanks for replies all.
Its still gonna be easier to ask the kids to do it. :icon_cheers:
Daz

Seriously, though, for your second question, the best way to save a recipe out of BeerSmith is to use the drop down up the top, and select "Text" (I think this is right, not at my main computer at the moment)

Then:
- Control-A will select all of the text in the display box,
- Control-C to copy it to the clipboard,
- Control-V to paste it into your forum post

There has been some investigation into allowing us to upload the .bsm files to the forum as an attachment, but is currently in the "too hard" basket :(

Mark
Thanks for the plug in. Last time I had anything to do with graphics was back in the days when you had to find shareware like "JpegCompress" etc, nice to know there's a genuine Microsoft tool now. I've tried it out and works a treat. Now I can post LOTS MORE photos :icon_cheers:

We should remmember that this is a noobie's "How do I do computer things" thread

Personally, ALL non computer typr folk should get Ubuntu...its so much easier than Window$
So..lets get off topic ;)

Back