Northern Brewer Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noxious

Reaction score
Hi all,
Not sure if this is the right forum for this type of thing but I have just bought some Northern Brewer hops to try something new (usually use; cascade, amarillo, fuggles, cluster etc). Trouble is I don't know any styles using these hops..
Any ideas?
I am looking for a lager or possibly even a pilsner as I have some Saflager W34/70 and 2 cans of Morgans Extra Pale Liquid Malt and a small can of Morgan's Lager Malt, will the Northern Brewer suit a this type of brew?
They appear to be 9.8% A/a, so bittering will be no worries...do they work well in a hop sock for a dry hop addition?
Cheers

Anchor Steam beer (BJCP calls it California Common) uses nothing but Northern Brewer. Link here. It's a love-it-or-hate-it hop. If you can find a bottle of Anchor Steam, that will help you get an idea of what to expect. A well made steam beer is a pleasure to drink.

...I am looking for a lager or possibly even a pilsner as I have some Saflager W34/70 and 2 cans of Morgans Extra Pale Liquid Malt and a small can of Morgan's Lager Malt, will the Northern Brewer suit a this type of brew?
They appear to be 9.8% A/a, so bittering will be no worries...do they work well in a hop sock for a dry hop addition?
Cheers
Mate, Northern Brewer is perfect for a Lager or Pilsener.
Northern Brewer and Magnum are my preferred hops for Pilseners. Im using it for bittering followed by an addition of aroma hops such like Saazer or Saphire.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Mate, Northern Brewer is perfect for a Lager or Pilsener.
Northern Brewer and Magnum are my preferred hops for Pilseners. Im using it for bittering followed by an addition of aroma hops such like Saazer or Saphire.

Cheers :icon_cheers:

Thanks for the reply, if it is to be a pilsner style instead of lager, how can I achieve this?
I would like a slight spicy note to the brew such as in the Matilda Bay Bohemian Pilsner, is this achieved simply by adding Saaz?
I have just made a German style Lager and a NZ style Lager, so maybe a pils is in order..
=)

....if it is to be a pilsner style instead of lager, how can I achieve this?
Basically are Pilseners at higher IBUs than Lagers.
The difference between Pilseners and Lagers: Pilseners are more hops accentuated, less body than Lagers, not so malty.

I would like a slight spicy note to the brew such as in the Matilda Bay Bohemian Pilsner, is this achieved simply by adding Saaz?
I have just made a German style Lager and a NZ style Lager, so maybe a pils is in order..
=)

yeah, that for the Northern Brewer is ideal.

here a pic ( cut-out) of one of my brew log:

hops.jpg

Thats for a 60l batch.
Boiling time = 90min
add NB hops 10min after the boil has begun and add Saazer 15min before finish.

have fun :icon_cheers:

I've heard the same, that it is a great neutral bittering hop, high enough in AA that you don't need heaps, low enough in flavours that it won't overcome the flavours of noble hops used in late additions. I've used it for a couple of english ales, they were american versions of english ale recipes though, but it provided good bittering but didn't overpower the aroma and flavour of late addition fuggles and goldings.

are they german or us northern brewer?

they are different

cheers

It does not say on the packet...just Northern Brewer Hops 50gm
Although, they are quite small pellets of a dark/army green colour.
If the A/a% is a differentiating characteristic between the DE and US ones, these ones are 9.8%...
I have a small amount of Cascade in the fridge, maybe dry hop with that?
Cheers guys

It does not say on the packet...just Northern Brewer Hops 50gm
Although, they are quite small pellets of a dark/army green colour.
If the A/a% is a differentiating characteristic between the DE and US ones, these ones are 9.8%...
I have a small amount of Cascade in the fridge, maybe dry hop with that?
Cheers guys

I tried to get U.S Northern Brewer a month back to do an up coming Steam beer but have been unable to source them on any of the web sites in Aussie

Rook

You know, I've never even seen US ones anywhere, always German. So I think it's likely they are probably German. It's also a way of stating what it is. When people say Northern Brewer, without stating a location, they mean German. If It's US, it should say (US) on it.

Thanks for the tip!
Thats handy, I will attempt a German style Pils then...what sort of hops does Beck's use? Saaz/Hallertau or something similar?
I suppose it doesnt matter really, Ive already got my ingredients so..
Cheers everyone, will test these hops out once and wait around 8 weeks before i do another with them!
Stick to what i know

Latest posts

Back