No Topic Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drive through town, have a drink with us? Have to have send away drinks.

Although, you're prolly at least half as neck deep in packing as I was :)

I got up early to brew, hung over as all fuggles and my oats are expired (not a metaphor).

As soon as I get back from driving around like a dick trying to find some oats, I am pouring myself a framboise. Andrew Gaze told me to eat cereals and fruit of a morn or my basketball won't bounce.

My ghetto BIAB bag isn't big enough for this grain bill. I dropped the side and grain everywhere.

30 mins later, 3 pots an esky and a spare fermenter and I've managed to strain the whole thing back into the kettle sans grain.

Haven't even started drinking yet.

As part of my current move from QLD to NSW I researched properties in the chosen area (on the Coast near Taree) and came across this brilliant place which would have to be ideal for brewing. (didn't take this one but I'll probably regret it forever)

It's in a row of terraces at Harrington, the front of the street is ground level but the back is lower so there is a "basement level" at the back with a garage for each unit.

shithouse_in_garage_2.jpg

What a perfect place for a brewhouse, and right there on the RHS of the photo: boom tish :lol: :lol: - ooh, must hoist the bag but I got to take a dump first.
And how handy for brew days, you can have real pissing contests, not the virtual ones that are prevalent on the forum B)

shithouse_in_garage.jpg

My 3711 just tried to do a runner on me after stepping from 250ml > 750ml > 3L. I had re-sanitised the foil on my flask twice within two hours of stepping up and replaced it shortly thereafter. I am going to see if it continues growth at fridge temps on the stirplate. See if I can't half neuter this horny beast.

I might have to look into antifoam or a larger flask (I am only using a 3L).

Dragonboat training last night with the work team. Got home and :( saw all my brewing gear in the backyard, waiting to be cleaned and packed away.

Did it to the soundtrack of a podcast and the neighbour screaming down a phone for over an hour.

Ps. While I was hosing down the kettle, a ringtail possum ran across the side fence. I quickly turned the nozzle to JET and blasted that little prick right up the arse... that's for running over my roof every night! <_<

Audio is nsfw (swear bear) - video is fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Noel Fielding at the opera house tonight...

:beerbang:

******* hell mate, did you just do what I think you are insinuating you just did? I know we need to admit our position and role within Asia, but geez mate, it's Man's best friend.

ED: Oh, you edited your post.

its always awkward when you mix up pics of your dog and home made pastrami. I thought i got away with it.

Might brew for the first time in weeks/months on monday.

**** yes.

Off topic it may not be but only the off topic form will allow such meaningless frivolity.

There's a bunch of meat curing, sausage making, charcuterie loving fanatics on this forum who'd be interested in your recipe and process.

I am more into smoking meat and cooking outside on my kamado, but i certainly appreciate the cross over.

At the moment i am running three experiments with pastrami - first one is corned beef from woolworths, second is a cut of silverside home made into corned beef and the third is a cut of silverside. The first experiment was with the corned beer. It sat in a zip lock bag for 48 hours with about 6 or 7 water changes. I then rubbed it up and left it overnight. The next day i cooked on the kamado for about 6 hours @ 110c, with about an 1.5 hours of smoke at the start.

For the rub on the pastrami i threw together a mix similar to this without the dill, steak seasoning and adding a little more cayenne chilli powder. I also used sweet paprika to combat the salt from the onion and garlic powder. It was my first go at pastrami and I am a convert. when in a wrap or sandwich it adds a dimension that makes you think less about the amount of healthy stuff in there and more about the meat.

Also got some nitrate free bacon on the cure at the moment too. Its certainly a guest favorite at da crib!

I am more into smoking meat and cooking outside on my kamado, but i certainly appreciate the cross over.

At the moment i am running three experiments with pastrami - first one is corned beef from woolworths, second is a cut of silverside home made into corned beef and the third is a cut of silverside. The first experiment was with the corned beer. It sat in a zip lock bag for 48 hours with about 6 or 7 water changes. I then rubbed it up and left it overnight. The next day i cooked on the kamado for about 6 hours @ 110c, with about an 1.5 hours of smoke at the start.

For the rub on the pastrami i threw together a mix similar to this without the dill, steak seasoning and adding a little more cayenne chilli powder. I also used sweet paprika to combat the salt from the onion and garlic powder. It was my first go at pastrami and I am a convert. when in a wrap or sandwich it adds a dimension that makes you think less about the amount of healthy stuff in there and more about the meat.

Also got some nitrate free bacon on the cure at the moment too. Its certainly a guest favorite at da crib!

I ordered my smoker today and am pretty excited about it... Should have it by next weekend. Am planning ribs, first up..

Do you think smokers/smoking meats deserves it own thread? I have searched and couldn't find one?

Like the 'Whats on the plate' thread but - 'Smoking Meats - Tips, recipes and advice'

I know there is other forums for it but it may be rad for AHB'ers?

2c.

I ordered my smoker today and am pretty excited about it
Look at Mr Fancy-Pants over here! Most people just pick them up off the street but he's gotta order one all special like.

Look at Mr Fancy-Pants over here! Most people just pick them up off the street but he's gotta order one all special like.

Not being smart but more so saying, I will have a smoker... thats all.

I will be naked with my hickory flavoured meat/s

Not bragging, just saying.

Latest posts

Back