No Topic Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, I need to find this 'mail room' you speak of. Or just get prepaid envelopes. The club's paying for them anyway...

2mcdrg2.jpg

Surely this thing is going to sink faster than the Newton? It looks so unwieldy.

just bought these for the collection

Dough - $12
dough.jpg

Curry Bible - $18
currybible.jpg

The Cook's Book (a gift for my sister when she moves out) - $30
thecooksbook.jpg

Surely this thing is going to sink faster than the Newton? It looks so unwieldy.

Unfortunately, it will succeed.

In a few months there'll be douchebags everywhere carrying these things around like Moses with ten commandments.

In a few months there'll be douchebags everywhere carrying these things around like Moses with ten commandments.

The same douchebags will also be lugging around a massive bag to carry all of the clip on accessories to actually use these pads for anything other than reading a book.

I think it can also only run one app at a time (plus only apps approved by Apple can be downloaded), oh and iBooks is only available in the US, so really until this is available in Oz, the iPad will basically be a large akward iPhone that doesn't make phone calls or have a camera.

Cheers SJ

Yep. Apple could put Steve Jobs' turds in little jars and the fanboys would still line up around the block to buy them.

Provided the can was pretty enough.

the iPad...
im sure there is a dumb joke to be had here. something along the lines of being large cumbersome and moody but with clever marketing like it allows you ride horses or go to the beach. if you get my drift.

Already been done! It has been nicknamed the iTampon.

I think it can also only run one app at a time
I think this is incorrect - they used a more powerful processor just so they could enable multitasking (in the one device where I wouldn't need it so much). All the other complaints hold IMO.

I didn't want to purchase the single Apple product that I have (though the iPhone really is a nifty device). I have a 13" laptop with a 90% size keyboard that would put most desktops to shame, and it weighs 1.4kg with the battery in, so you won't see me with an oversized iPhone.

On a different note, I had a giggle on the bus into work this morning...

yo_dawg_ute.jpg

Stolen from The Age website:

The iPad is based on the same operating system as the iPhone, and they share the limitation of being unable to use multiple applications at the same time or to display web pages created using Adobe's Flash.

the rest of the story is here: http://www.theage.com.au/digital-life/comp...00128-n0z0.html

Not taking it as gospel, but it seems the iPad is limited to one app at a time.

Cheers SJ

attachment=35286:yo_dawg_ute.jpg]

Ahhhhhahahahahhahahah that's classic!

The iphone is good and a leader in it's class because of the sheer number and range of apps available (of course, most of them are shite, but anyway) versus other smartphones, while also doubling as a entertainment/media playing device. Perfect for the "I want a smartphone but I'm not a businessperson" crowd.

When you compare the iPad to other netbooks, you'll soon see the only advantage is the touch screen. The built-in software still has loads of flaws; no flash support for starters :facepalm:, and will run iPhone applications (why bother running these on a PC capable of much more?) and iPad specific user-developed apps. The flash memory with no expansion slot is an absolute joke, especially for a device able to play dvd-quality movies.

I think I'll stop there.

I feel like a beer.. Might go over the road at lunch and have a Bright Ale from the tap.... either that or a VB.... Cant decide! :p

Ahhhhhahahahahhahahah that's classic!

The iphone is good and a leader in it's class because of the sheer number and range of apps available (of course, most of them are shite, but anyway) versus other smartphones, while also doubling as a entertainment/media playing device. Perfect for the "I want a smartphone but I'm not a businessperson" crowd.

When you compare the iPad to other netbooks, you'll soon see the only advantage is the touch screen. The built-in software still has loads of flaws; no flash support for starters :facepalm:, and will run iPhone applications (why bother running these on a PC capable of much more?) and iPad specific user-developed apps. The flash memory with no expansion slot is an absolute joke, especially for a device able to play dvd-quality movies.

I think I'll stop there.

so who is the iPad catered at? what type of demographic?

to me its not a phone, not a laptop and sits somewhere in between... and honestly cant see what purpose it serves that the iphone or a laptop cant???

Not taking it as gospel, but it seems the iPad is limited to one app at a time.
Huh. Not sure where I heard that then. Perhaps it was just one of the rumours that didn't materialise.

Some interesting stuff here - someone's already gone through the SDK and found all the un-implemented stuff that's already coded like voice calls and camera, and suggests that multitasking will be pushed in the next update to iphone & itampon. That would be pretty sweet to get multitasking.

Huh. Not sure where I heard that then. Perhaps it was just one of the rumours that didn't materialise.

Some interesting stuff here - someone's already gone through the SDK and found all the un-implemented stuff that's already coded like voice calls and camera, and suggests that multitasking will be pushed in the next update to iphone & itampon. That would be pretty sweet to get multitasking.

I think all of these extra functions are available via a series of additional equipment you need to purchase to access (plug in camera, plug in memory card reader, plug in key board etc etc). No doubt however the next iteration of this device will include a comprehensive (read: sensible and necessary) functions/features.

Cheers SJ

I think it can also only run one app at a time (plus only apps approved by Apple can be downloaded), oh and iBooks is only available in the US, so really until this is available in Oz, the iPad will basically be a large akward iPhone that doesn't make phone calls or have a camera.

Cheers SJ

I think this is incorrect - they used a more powerful processor just so they could enable multitasking (in the one device where I wouldn't need it so much). All the other complaints hold IMO.

I've read two reviews that both say the iPad can't do two things at once. Pretty dodgy IMO.

apple are now a bunch of pricks, they saw what phone companies did in the past (ie multiple releases of phones each with features/upgrades' that should have some standard in the first place. Apple have given up their integrity as a company that provides best service/quality etc in the first place and now does money making stunts. like the arrogance of relasing iphone with no video capability even though they had the technology and software. and locking them from using certain apps etc unless you jailbreak them'

I dislike apple very much. and their iphone is overrated.

apple are now a bunch of pricks, they saw what phone companies did in the past (ie multiple releases of phones each with features/upgrades' that should have some standard in the first place. Apple have given up their integrity as a company that provides best service/quality etc in the first place and now does money making stunts. like the arrogance of relasing iphone with no video capability even though they had the technology and software. and locking them from using certain apps etc unless you jailbreak them'

I dislike apple very much. and their iphone is overrated.
+1

Do the ipods still have no radio these days? Most other brands do.
Even with 30gb music on my gigabeat I get bored of my stuff.

Back