No Topic Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mind you if the public were a little more used to seeing services around, it might have prevented the hysteria that was last week with the guy in Qld.

Poor guy was just trying to work out.

It was more the police response that freaked people out. Armoured cops with semi automatics breaking into classrooms etc

Undoubtedly, but i some idiot didn't call it in as a " gunman with a automatic machine gun rifle" then the cops wouldn't have been nearly as vigilant as they were.

If it was in Darwin or Townsville of would have been, oh look, there's an AJ working out in his spare time..

While on the Navy...

I travel daily on my commute past HMAS Harman (where the S stands for Ship).
If that thing ever weighs anchor and steams off I'll fall off my bike....stone frigate apparently.

HMAS_Harman.jpg

Edit: correct photo this time.

Apart from that one, they like to put their bases in awesome and very expensive areas. I've had some very reasonably priced beers with million dollar views thanks to the pussers

Bliss, last day of school today for my daughters, 100 mins a day saved from round trips of drop offs and pickups for SWMBO and myself, will not be getting out fishing as much but plenty of time in the garden with the girls.

Red Baron said:
Apart from that one, they like to put their bases in awesome and very expensive areas. I've had some very reasonably priced beers with million dollar views thanks to the pussers
My former cricket club used to play against Harman...we always hoped we'd be playing them at Harman for the cheap post-game (and sometimes during game) beers.
Similarly, when I played rugby while at uni in Melbourne an away game at Cerberus always meant some great post-game drinks (and a good excuse to hire a bus).

Damn its been hot in Melbourne (and still is) I bottled a batch of pale ale today sans pants. Good times.

Get called in to do an agency shift starting at 5pm till finish.

Almost done, to late for trains, guess I'm riding home then.

Bridges said:
Damn its been hot in Melbourne (and still is)
try Adelaide, 44 today and will be fourth day over 40 degrees, makes brewing challenging. Still, got a bank loan to pay for the highest electricity cost in Australia so can run the air con just before passing out. :lol:

grott said:
try Adelaide, 44 today and will be fourth day over 40 degrees, makes brewing challenging. Still, got a bank loan to pay for the highest electricity cost in Australia so can run the air con just before passing out. :lol:
Going to be 42 here in Lincoln today it's already 33 @ 8:00 am, a good day to give the brewery a clean, hic burp.
Thankfully it'll be a bit cooler for the drive to Adelaide for Xmas.

Mowing the yard today, and was reminded of a top random act of kindness from a few years back. It was during the bog floods up here a few years ago, and we were scheduled to go on holidays down to Tallebudgera for two weeks. The lawn had been getting up a bit, and there had been no windows to get out and mow the yard in the few weeks before going due to persistent and consistent rainfall. Any windows that had occurred, my response had been "ah, grass is still a bit wet, I'll let it go 'til tomorra". And bloody tomorra never came. So we goes away, and the grass was already knee high when we left. There weren't many days went by when I didn't ponder what was waiting to hit with the mower when we got back.

Anyways, we get home. Seriously, Kokoda never looked that scary. All I could see was a mass of green about half-thigh high. Our house is highset at the front, lowset at the back. That tells you how much slope is on it. And the slope is steeper from maibox to front steps, going at a 45 degree angle across the slope. Well, some beautiful unknown person has mowed/hacked/trekked a mower and a half wide strip either side of the concrete pathway from mailbox to the front steps. I never did find out who it was, byt have never forgotten it either.

And mowing the rest of it...I lost count of how many tanks of fuel and catcher changes.

Had a Christmas ale all lined up for the big day tomorrow with stacks of family members. Star anise, cinnamon, nutmeg, much love went into the making.
I chilled it yesterday and put it on the gas. 180 kPa... very odd. I didn't remember carbing it high. Gas levels dropped, chilled overnight.
I tasted today and... well, not much. A strange flavour about it and none of the Christmas spirit. Then it came to me: infection. Another frigging infection, exactly the same taste with no visual signs of anything obvious during fermentation. This one tasted ok out of the fermenter so I'm guessing maybe there was a problem when kegging. 19l on the lawn and lucky I had a backup brew which is a lager free of any obvious problems.

Not a thing has been common between the brews. Anything common has had good brews made before and since. Different kegs, different fermenters, all cleaned the same way, all cubed, some cube hopped. Something in this house is sneaking in somewhere. Bah humbug.

Kids went to Questacon today with SWMBO.
I couldn't go unfortunately(!) as I was busy getting an American Wheat into the cube.

The ratbags were thinking of me though and found this ripper in the gift shop...Saccharomyces cerevisiae.
The young bloke (5yo) said to me "you'll be cuddling that as you go to sleep tonight won't you Daddy?"

Absolutely I will.

med_gallery_30557_1283_122366.jpg
med_gallery_30557_1283_107105.jpg
med_gallery_30557_1283_154406.jpg

And with the cessation this afternoon of the latest round of gut bloating Christmas luncheons, the curtain is drawn on the last of the obligatory extended family seasonal gatherings.
Time to head south for the new year.

2-tasmania_2-copy.jpg

Back