No Topic Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought a new telephone handset for home. It's an official Telstra model. Unpacked it onto the kitchen counter and the frigging thing comes with a mains adapter and socket. WTF? My Dick Smith handset that I've had for 8 years just plugs into the phone and works fine but the microphone is failing hence the new phone.
Why the power lead requirement? So if there's a power cut I can't use the phone to ring the power company to see if it's just me?

Or is it that Telstra is stuck in some previous decade? Being an old house there's no power socket anywhere near where the phone usually lives but hopefully ok at the new joint.

Has it got an answering machine or some other functionality built in?

Will help if you have a basic knowledge of metal......

Manowar>The Beatles

Otherwise it may go over your head. I've been chortling both inwardly and outwardly all day because of this.

So if there's a power cut I can't use the phone to ring the power company to see if it's just me?

Ours is like that also. Needs the power to animate the Steven Hawking style voice on the message bank and charge the batteries in the cordless handset. No juice. No landline. No Hawking salutation announcing:

'Hello, no one is a available to take your call. Please leave a message after the tone' - BEEEEEEEP!!!..

Will help if you have a basic knowledge of metal......

Manowar>The Beatles

Otherwise it may go over your head. I've been chortling both inwardly and outwardly all day because of this.

A little OT (in the off topic thread...)

I haven't had a listen to that link (since Im working... :ph34r: ) but it reminds me of the Beatallica band. Beatles songs played heavy with a James Hetfield style voice over the top. Quite an interesting old combo...

A little OT (in the off topic thread...)

I haven't had a listen to that link (since Im working... :ph34r: ) but it reminds me of the Beatallica band. Beatles songs played heavy with a James Hetfield style voice over the top. Quite an interesting old combo...
There's no song, its just a funny, funny cartoon..... I just lol'd again.

There's no song, its just a funny, funny cartoon..... I just lol'd again.

I might have to have a looksee when I get home since I can't open the link anyways... Nothing better than a pre-long weekend giggle.

A mate of mine, after a trip through India, said that the funeral pyres of Buddhists smelt like a hungry jacks, due to their vegan diet[...]

"The cadavers taste better at Hungry Jacks"

On another note:
Why does metal sound like slick top 40 music these days? When did auto tune become standard practice? It seems like it is metal to be a tax-paying, SUV-driving, lawn-mowing, golf-club-polishing jerk.

On another note:
Why does metal sound like slick top 40 music these days? When did auto tune become standard practice? It seems like it is metal to be a tax-paying, SUV-driving, lawn-mowing, golf-club-polishing jerk.

You're doing it wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meshuggah aren't broken.

Some of these other bands need to either look in the mirror or stop looking in the mirror.

Watched Charge of the Light Brigade (1936) with Errol Flynn on TCM - as those were more innocent days he was wearing tight fitting white cavalry pants for most of the scenes including a couple of obvious male cameltoes and I don't know where the legend came from - maybe had a "surprise one". B)

(or strapped round to his back with gaffa tape maybe?)

The least satisfying way of spending your annual leave: Kid sitting your 7 and 5 year old while they enjoy their school holidays.

I started brewing today, heated liquor, started on the task of grinding raw cereals with ol' Porkert corona... hopper came off and I spilled raw wheat everywhere on my back verandah. Ill omen. I pulled the plug. I refuse to fight my system today and it has already thrown the first punch.

The least satisfying way of spending your annual leave: Kid sitting your 7 and 5 year old while they enjoy their school holidays.

It's a shame.

i always loved spending time with my kids, and love it now when the grandkids are here. I've had a housefull for a fortnight so far and they are still coming and going thick and fast.

Hopefully you'll come to value the time more inj years to come, although that is really a good age when you can have fun together.. :icon_cheers:

MaybeI'veAlwaysBeenTooCloseToBeingAnOldToddlerPunkin

It's a shame.

i always loved spending time with my kids, and love it now when the grandkids are here. I've had a housefull for a fortnight so far and they are still coming and going thick and fast.

Hopefully you'll come to value the time more inj years to come, although that is really a good age when you can have fun together.. :icon_cheers:

MaybeI'veAlwaysBeenTooCloseToBeingAnOldToddlerPunkin
Okay, I'll cop that one fair and square on the chin, but in my defense I was grumpy from lack of my usual morning coffee...

With no grandparents in the state at the moment, school holidays means my wife and I alternate weeks off work to look after the kids.

I agree with everything you said, but sometimes in the thick of things, it's hard to remember that I've probably only got them under my roof for another 15 odd years (although, with Melb property prices, they may choose to stay at home a decade or so longer than I did).

So we played soccer in the back yard, made some mud pies, and went to the park. Another hour or so, I can put a DVD on for them while I prepare dinner, and enjoy a well earned pint.

My 7 year old is now 27 and he buys me pints - your best years are yet to come :lol:

Just had a couple of eventful weeks with the fam. Daughter catches the flu. Son catches gastric bug for 24hrs, luckily he seems to have a cast iron stomach like me and bounces back. Wife catches gastric bug off him BIG time. Cue holiday up the coast. Daughter midway through holiday then catches gastric bug.
In the meantime both kids (6 & 3yo) are acting like typical little whinging brats, whinging about stupid shit and wanting the impossible.

I didn't get sick, had to do 99% of the washing up, my hdd didn't work on the telly in the cabin (f##king typical), and there was no room in the car for my homebrew.

Annual Leave, who needs it?

Apologies, i didn't mean to sound so judgemental. The comment just struck a nerve.

I'm also well aware how much of a pain in the arse they can be at times and do find myself with less patience as the years roll by. :D

IAlsoHaveTheLuxuryOfGivingThemBackNowadaysPunkin

Text message on my mobile received yesterday, but only found this morning:

From Sender (no name) 61422106097
I sent you an email without reply. It concerns my late client. Email me for more detail. addingtonlegal @gmail.com

Yeah right. A legal firm using gmail for their email address? Who do they think they're kidding?

Latest posts

Back