No Topic Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, apple excised YouTube and google maps but allowed in google's chrome browser on their mobile devices. Also, this opens the way to google launching completely independent maps/GPS nav app. Sometimes, they're just plain dumb. You really don't challenge google in their core competencies.

Corporate morons.

Gotta say though, apple's vector based maps are superior to google's umpteen layers of jpeg bullshit when you're driving.
and the turn-by-turn nav (to be released here in Oct) looks the goods.

Having said that, **** both apple & google. I'm really looking forward to the nokia/microsoft 920 thingamejig. my next device fo sho

The handset looks the goods but Microsoft hasn't been able to make a workable mobile OS ever. I really doubt their ability to pull a winner out of the bag now when even their PC platform is turning to pus. I do wish I could get a Lumia that runs Android though.

This is true. Windows 8 looks a bit too different to be truly intuitive, now that everyone is used to ios and its clone.
Have you seen any of the vids from the New York launch event thing?

Nah, I just read about how they were caught out faking the camera footage. The camera still looks pretty great. Did themselves a real disservice there.

Fair enough I suppose, but really, it was an ad. You don't see people calling out Apple on their ads for facetime with crystal clear HD video chat.. same shit, get real banana peel.
Maybe it was deliberate? After watching some vids from the launch, it looks that good.

Yea, even tho I like what they've done with the 5, I'm holding off actually buying one yet. The samsungs never took my fancy, too bloody big.
I've the 3gs, it's roughly the same size as the Nokia 3230 I had once, I like that size for an upper limit on what a phone should feel like.
I loved my xpress music 5310, hmnnnnnn. Wish phones were that small again. ******* was even decent at playing music.

Fair enough I suppose, but really, it was an ad. You don't see people calling out Apple on their ads for facetime with crystal clear HD video chat.. same shit, get real banana peel.
Maybe it was deliberate? After watching some vids from the launch, it looks that good.
The videos from the launch are what were faked.

My missus uses Facetime to talk to relatives OS and (if used in bright, natural light) the image quality is amazing. Shits all over Skype. Not HD though, obviously.

I was talking about videos such as these, not the advert:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, cool.

Like I said already, I think the hardware is cool but the photo part of the first video is complete bullshit. At least one of those other phones didn't even have flash on. Man, those phones must be REAL SHIT if they can't take photos in complete darkness. Compare apples with apples (if you'll pardon the pun). That .gif making tool looks amazing but is something I can't see me ever using. Wireless charging is terrible. Wireless "docking" is not impressive. How often do you wear gloves? I'm pretty sure I'd get the shits with a "super sensitive" touch screen really fast - "Ah! I didn't want to do that!"

The video has really underscored something for me which has made me stop considering this handset completely - who is going to be making apps for it? Sometimes it is hard to get Android version of particular apps even though there are more Droids than iOS devices in the wild. What chance do MS have?

Dunno. Windows 8 is going to be "cross platform" so I guess they're chucking all their eggs in one basket.

I posted something on another thread that - in passing - really sums up Microsoft's position nowadays. It's comments on the book "The Victorian Web" and how the growth of the telegraph and telephone in the 19th century closely parallels the growth of the modern Internet (which was and still is largely based on telegraphy and copper wire etc etc and yup where was Unix developed? in a phone lab of course but I digress)

Snippet:

The Victorian Internet (that patchwork of telegrams, pneumatic tubes, messenger boys, and so on) was new in the 1800s. There had been nothing like it before. It was based on electricity, which was invented at the same time. Previous communication took weeks or months, which suddenly collapsed into minutes. People only dealt with other known persons; now they dealt with people whom they may never meet. Society had been slow and local, now it became hyper-accelerated and global. Information overload has been a feature of modern life for 150 years now.

Much of today's hype will not happen because it has already been tried. Many current business models failed over 100 years ago. The successful ones are not new.

What's next? The Pony Express, telegrams, pneumatic tubes, messenger boys, carrier pigeons, email, the web: all of these are communications, ever faster, ever more flexible, more global, more personal. The next step is smart phones with email and web with you anytime, anywhere.

Microsoft, Macintosh, Linux, and Java seemed so important several years ago; we now realize that they were just parts of a particular device, the desktop computer. Who remembers the Vibroplex or any of the telegraph key manufacturers? When the underlying technology changes, the surface tools also change.

The future of computing is ubiquitous communications, delivering email, news, shopping, and business, in your hand, anytime, anywhere. When the Palm Pilot (an early smart phone) was introduced, its designers figured that the desktop computer was the primary computer and the Palm was the secondary computer. Now, it's the other way around: the Palm is the primary computer and the desktop computer is a backup device.

Guy's nailed it IMHO. Windows will most likely join the ranks of operating systems such as Atari, BEOS, that IBM thing that I forget the name, not to mention Amiga. Or maybe still have a place as an office OS, for example the company I've just left ran the entire office on XP with UNIX on the servers because it was cheap and worked.

That's probably why microsoft have overhauled windows 8 to be cross platform - ie, the same on phone, tablet, pc.
the first cab off the rank in that regard as far as I'm aware.
It looks very different to the windows you would be used to.

That's probably why microsoft have overhauled windows 8 to be cross platform - ie, the same on phone, tablet, pc.
It looks very different to the windows you would be used to.

Not really, in fact apart from the graphics virtually identical :p :p

windows_original.jpg

Windows_8_Release_Preview_Start_Screen.png

Android is *nix, your modem (possibly) is *nix, your router (most likely) is *nix. (And we won't mention OSX...) Once again, MS is attempting to appear to be playing catch-up footy with *nix systems but are half-arseing it as their market doesn't actually GAF.

I've got windows 8 on a VM at work. The desktop side of the os doesn't have a start button, the metro side is probably never going to be used on proper desktop PCs. I'm dreading next month when I have to start supporting it.

Is there a thread to post pictures of our cooking exploits. Fired up the kamado yesterday and smoked some home made bacon. Also threw on a rubbed up lamb roast inserted with some orange zest, rosemary and garlic cloves. Both came out stunning with great taste and smoke penetration.

IMG_20120925_200118.jpg

IMG_20120925_135326.jpg

Back