No Topic Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a look through my tasting notes for this trip - up to the low 60s. Will see if family commitments will allow me to bump that up to over 70 in my last day and a half here. Seems unlikely but I'm keen to try.

Made it. Currently drinking number 71 - Dogfish Head Midas Touch. It is pretty yuck to be honest (not even sure it is beer) but it still counts.

I suspect you aren't the only one on this site who types with one hand..... :unsure:

Congrats - when the one of my mates knocked up his wife he announced to us all "My swimmers can swim!". A little too much info perhaps?

Since you are AG now then go for a Theakstons Old Peculier - an old ale that can be put down for a few years but isn't as big as a BW. If you enjoy Hobgoblin, you'll love the Old Peculier.

Ha ha ha funny stuff. Will have a search for that recipe, thanks.

Look no further! :beerbang:

Scaled Down Big V barleywine
American Barleywine

Type: All Grain
Date: 12/04/2010
Batch Size: 23.00 L
Brewer: Braden
Boil Size: 34.16 L
Boil Time: 90 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00

Ingredients
10.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) (1.7 SRM) Grain 82.30 %
0.65 kg Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 5.35 %
0.50 kg Rye Malt (Weyermann) (3.0 SRM) Grain 4.12 %
0.40 kg Crystal (Joe White) (34.2 SRM) Grain 3.29 %
50.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (90 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 66.2 IBU
25.00 gm Amarillo [8.20 %] (20 min) Hops 10.0 IBU
25.00 gm Centennial [8.70 %] (20 min) Hops 10.4 IBU
15.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (20 min) Hops 10.2 IBU
25.00 gm Simcoe [12.30 %] (10 min) Hops 8.8 IBU
15.00 gm Centennial [8.70 %] (10 min) Hops 3.8 IBU
10.00 gm Amarillo [8.20 %] (10 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
3.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
6.00 gm Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
0.60 kg Sugar, Table (Sucrose) (1.0 SRM) Sugar 4.94 %

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.111 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.028 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 11.01 %
Bitterness: 112.4 IBU
Est Color: 10.6 SRM

Mash Profile
60 min Mash In Add 32.00 L of water at 73.1 C 67.0 C
10 min Mash Out Add 17.00 L of water at 85.8 C 73.0 C

Notes
CaCl2 in mash
CaSO4 in boil

Will also cosider this, although ATM I only have the capacity to boil a max of 12L. Will see if I can fiddle with it in BS and make it a 10L batch. The 15 hrs might be a bit tricky :unsure: Not sure I'd get a leave slip for that by SWMBO.

Will also cosider this, although ATM I only have the capacity to boil a max of 12L. Will see if I can fiddle with it in BS and make it a 10L batch. The 15 hrs might be a bit tricky :unsure: Not sure I'd get a leave slip for that by SWMBO.
15 hours may have been to do with the amount of beer consumed and the fact there were 4 head brewers on the day, LOL

Just got home. Well, they finally did it. After 9 trips to the US Qantas finally lost some of my luggage (after making me miss my connection, of course).

Thankfully it wasn't the suitcase with the beer in it - however Customs had something to say about the volume and decided to take care of some of it for me. I have a difficult PM to write to someone.

Just moved house and won't be able to do a grain brew for a week or so, I'm going to put down two toucan stout headbangers to tide me over, usual 9% screech juice. :) I'll do them with Wyeast Irish at 24 degrees and they should be in the kegs within a week. :super: :super:

129157543070178916.gif

minus some bottles of beers! :ph34r:
Was he playing "beer mule" for you?

My best mate is moving to Portland, Oregon end of the month for a couple of years. Prime craft brew area. Has promised to send me a "care package" for my birthday and christmas each year. I think I may have to start planning a trip of my own once he's all settled. :icon_chickcheers:

Edit: Just goggled "Portland Oregon Breweries":

- Deschutes
- Rogue
- Full Sail
- etc, etc

I think I just wet my pants a little bit in excitement :lol:

Deschutes Hop Henge IPA was one of the best beers of the trip. Really, really impressive beer.

Thankfully it wasn't the suitcase with the beer in it - however Customs had something to say about the volume and decided to take care of some of it for me. I have a difficult PM to write to someone.
How much did you try to bring in? What's the allowable volume?

The allowable volume is 2.25L. I'd heard this figure before but thought it related to duty free alcohol. I thought I'd just be able to pay excise or similar and she'd be apples. Apparently not. Only had to give up two bottles to get under that amount but I decided to be a selfish prick and have one of the bottles be one earmarked for someone else and the other be one of mine.

The allowable volume is 2.25L. I'd heard this figure before but thought it related to duty free alcohol. I thought I'd just be able to pay excise or similar and she'd be apples. Apparently not. Only had to give up two bottles to get under that amount but I decided to be a selfish prick and have one of the bottles be one earmarked for someone else and the other be one of mine.
2.25 lt, piffle! Did you not tell them about the 71 different beers surveyed over the last couple of weeks. How's a man meant to whittle that down to a measly 2.25lt. 2.25lt is just a nice amount for breakfast.

They are heartless bastards in Australian Customs. Taking hard-earned beer from a bloke doesn't have anything to do with any Australian custom I know of.

Im sore after one game on WII... boxing it was a tie. My 8 year old knocks them out in one round!

Toowoomba residents past and present may care to look away. Below is a picture of the Mauri Yeast factory in Stephen St, just around the corner from my pad and taken this very morning. This silo has been an industrial landmark for decades and most residents will recognise it but also the smells that the factory emits, some sweet and delicious, at other times a bit naff.
1_low.JPG
Coopers probably get much of their yeast from here, while 514 is certainly one of their more popular strains. The factory is still operating, just without the silo.

The ute in the mid- right came within a few feet of being snotted when the section being worked over and folded up by the excavator sprang a bit unexpectedly.

Toowoomba residents past and present may care to look away. Below is a picture of the Mauri Yeast factory in Stephen St, just around the corner from my pad and taken this very morning. This silo has been an industrial landmark for decades and most residents will recognise it but also the smells that the factory emits, some sweet and delicious, at other times a bit naff.
View attachment 38068
Coopers probably get much of their yeast from here, while 514 is certainly one of their more popular strains. The factory is still operating, just without the silo.

The ute in the mid- right came within a few feet of being snotted when the section being worked over and folded up by the excavator sprang a bit unexpectedly.

Thanks for the heads up, guess the stuff is tankered in these days, ahh the smell of urea (nitrogen) and malt extract in the morning. Nothing like it. :lol:

Screwy

Thanks for the heads up, guess the stuff is tankered in these days, ahh the smell of urea (nitrogen) and malt extract in the morning. Nothing like it. :lol:

Screwy
Yeah, reckon so, there's always tankers in the driveway. There's even the old chute from the railway (extreme LHS of pic), heaven knows when that was last used, bet that gets knocked over next...
We're just east of them, only get a whiff on the odd occasion, usually in winter. Now that I'm a brewer I recognise just what that smell is!

Back