No Topic Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd imagine that anyone getting hold of Chappo would have "issues".

A man in Devan was successful in growing a crop of vibrators, he is now having a problem with squatters!

Hmmm...had a glass bottle of an APA of mine Sunday night and it was drinking quite well. Just grabbed a PET from the same batch and it tastes like a kit beer.

I hope it is just a dirty bottle?

Hmmm...had a glass bottle of an APA of mine Sunday night and it was drinking quite well. Just grabbed a PET from the same batch and it tastes like a kit beer.

I hope it is just a dirty bottle?

it was a leftover kit beer?! :p

Nah. It's not like a completely different beer. It is like the same beer but with that not quite sour/not quite sweet thing some kit beers have.

I'll do an A/B with one of each tomorrow night to see if there's still a difference.

[EDIT: just had another from the same bottle and even with a careful pour it presents like Chappo: with a ridiculous head. Leaning towards a bottle infection until the A/B tomorrow.]

Nah. It's not like a completely different beer. It is like the same beer but with that not quite sour/not quite sweet thing some kit beers have.

I'll do an A/B with one of each tomorrow night to see if there's still a difference.

[EDIT: just had another from the same bottle and even with a careful pour it presents like Chappo: with a ridiculous head. Leaning towards a bottle infection until the A/B tomorrow.]
Passed on the beer last night, in favour of a red.
Nothing special - James Estate Shiraz 2006 - but damn it was good.

Heads up if you own a PS3… mine f*cked out on Sunday night. What’s known as the “Yellow Light of Death”.

Was watching a bluray and the thing just stopped half way through, turned off, a small yellow light came on then the red light started flashing. Completely dead. Couldn’t start it up, couldn’t get the disc out. Had a look on the interweb and pretty much have to dismantle the whole thing and reflow the connections on the motherboard (Search Gilksy YLOD fix). Called Sony and said they’d resend a refurbed ps3 of the same model for $250 and 18 month warranty if I sent my one back in… No f*cken way!!! Bricked after 2 ½ years. Not impressed.

Anyhoo, I did the dismantle and reflow last night and it all works. Had to clean out a heap of dust. Took about 3 hours. Seems to be from overheating, poor airflow or dust. Some people on the net have suggested keeping the console horizontal and giving the vents a clean with a vacuum. Some have also said it makes no difference and it will either happen or not. Couldn’t hurt I guess to remove as much dust as possible.

So hope this helps anyone.

i'd doubt the dust would be the issue for it crapping out.

Sounds like a real PITA though, kidna like the XBOX 360s ring of death.

i'd doubt the dust would be the issue for it crapping out.

Sounds like a real PITA though, kidna like the XBOX 360s ring of death.

Yep pretty much the same thing... IIRC the XBox issue was from the board flexing and the solder, or whatever, heating then cooling and contracting causing small cracks and losing connection (or I could be totally making that up) so sounds like the PS3 issue was pretty much the same. I don't think the dust was a cause of the breakdown, just a factor in restricting some of the airflow and cooling (again could be talking out of my arse) I have absolutely no idea about electronics and found this pretty simple to do.

Heads up if you own a PS3… mine f*cked out on Sunday night. What’s known as the “Yellow Light of Death”.

Was watching a bluray and the thing just stopped half way through, turned off, a small yellow light came on then the red light started flashing. Completely dead. Couldn’t start it up, couldn’t get the disc out. Had a look on the interweb and pretty much have to dismantle the whole thing and reflow the connections on the motherboard (Search Gilksy YLOD fix). Called Sony and said they’d resend a refurbed ps3 of the same model for $250 and 18 month warranty if I sent my one back in… No f*cken way!!! Bricked after 2 ½ years. Not impressed.

Anyhoo, I did the dismantle and reflow last night and it all works. Had to clean out a heap of dust. Took about 3 hours. Seems to be from overheating, poor airflow or dust. Some people on the net have suggested keeping the console horizontal and giving the vents a clean with a vacuum. Some have also said it makes no difference and it will either happen or not. Couldn’t hurt I guess to remove as much dust as possible.

So hope this helps anyone.
Thanks for the tip argon, still saving up for one, so will go an extended warranty for situations like these.

Do a bit of a search on the net for the likelihood of this happening on the newer models. I don't think the the PS3 Slims (or whatever they're called) are all that prone to it happening. I have the old piano black 40GB. Supposedly the newer ones have a better cooling efficiency and are not as affected.

They are a pretty cool piece of kit though. I mostly use it for streaming through Tversity, so go without it is a PITA. Could fairly much take or leave the games at the moment. If i had 4 hours or so to play a game i'd probably brew instead!!

Yeah, they say the problem doesn't exist for the slims but they're too new to be sure, IMO. And have you seen how much smaller they are? Must have cut a heap out of them - there will be other problems I am sure.

While in the States I got MGS4, Fallout 3 and Brutal Legend, new, for $60 total. Pretty stoked.

Yeah, they say the problem doesn't exist for the slims but they're too new to be sure, IMO. And have you seen how much smaller they are? Must have cut a heap out of them - there will be other problems I am sure.

While in the States I got MGS4, Fallout 3 and Brutal Legend, new, for $60 total. Pretty stoked.

would love to get a slim.. but you're probably right... too new to know what problems there are. After opening up the 40gb there is alot of dead space inside... no wonder they could make it smaller.

I'm about 3/4 way though MGS4... good game put it down about 10 months back and played through GTA4 Since finishing that haven't really had much motivation play anything else. Top game.

anyone else having issues getting a hold of chappo?
Chappofun.jpg

Obviously not that flash at chopping up pics but this is where i reckon he might be

Kleiny

Hopefully he'll be at BABBs next week and I'll make sure he's travelling ok.

Hey back on line after a couple of weeks using tard kiosks at shopping centres (moved house)

Well as we power forward into the 21st century Internet speeds are blazin', monitors are ever expandin', memory is astoundin' but you still have to be a fecking geek to set it all up. My next machine will be a Mac.

back_online_1__Medium_.jpg
back_online_2__Medium_.jpg

Latest posts

Back