No More Sediment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To summarise this thread:

1. The taste difference between kegs and bottles is most likely to be a factor of process or time to mature.
2. You can naturally carbonate kegs just as easily as bottles.
2. Co2 bottles are far cheaper to buy than rent (same as renting TV's, washing machines etc).
3. Taking a glass with your bottles instead of stubbies can be "uncool".
4. Crusty doesn't sell bottle tops, but will deliver them if they're in his mail run :p

& Daemon cant count?

:eek: :p

sorry for posting on-topic here :D , just a quick note about the sediment reducers:

Found a bottle in the cupboard.
It was stored upside-down for a month for the carbonation to complete, then I removed the top and forgot/stored it in the cupboard for a couple of months. Remembered it after reading this thread and went back and dug it out now.

The bottle clearly has sediment.
MUCH less than any other bottle carbonated beer, more along the lines of when lifting it up to the light and giving it a slight nudge I see "stuff" swirling up off the bottom of the bottle.
I guess the "maturating" period has made more stuff settle out, and as I had already removed the sediment reducer it fell to the bottom of the bottle.
The way to do it probably is to leave it for a month upside down at room temp, then a week or two in the fridge at 1 degree still upside down before removing the sediment reducer.

thanks
Bjorn

Wow, that seems way easier than decanting/using a glass...

BjornJ,

sorry for posting on-topic here :D , just a quick note about the sediment reducers:

Found a bottle in the cupboard.
It was stored upside-down for a month for the carbonation to complete, then I removed the top and forgot/stored it in the cupboard for a couple of months. Remembered it after reading this thread and went back and dug it out now.

MUCH less than any other bottle carbonated beer, more along the lines of when lifting it up to the light and giving it a slight nudge I see "stuff" swirling up off the bottom of the bottle.
I guess the "maturating" period has made more stuff settle out, and as I had already removed the sediment reducer it fell to the bottom of the bottle.
The way to do it probably is to leave it for a month upside down at room temp, then a week or two in the fridge at 1 degree still upside down before removing the sediment reducer.

Thanks heaps. This is the feedback I was looking for. Somebody explaining their experience using them.
I noticed on their site that they say to leave it for a month & then remove the sediment catcher. I'm a bit surprised & a little disappointed that you found sediment though.
I'll give them a go myself & see what happens. I have the cpbf to fill some bottles but if I ditch the sediment catchers, I'll have to get myself a bench capper.

Thanks again,

Crusty

What? No, shit man read that again.

He said they work but they do leave some sediment - perhaps storing them upside down to condition then "crash chilling" in the fridge upside down to drop any suspended yeast might aid in ridding the bottle of even more sediment than just removing the top piece (sediment remover) after conditioning.
Remembering the device is two piece.

as for bench capper keep an eye on fleebay and your local garage sales.
They go fairly cheap. I picked mine up from a garage sale around the corner for $15 + it came with the bell to do champagne bottles!
If you already have the CPBF I'd probably be looking to this option - if you really want the "bottle conditioned" flavour you could keg condition then use the CPBF. Just make sure you shorten your diptube on your "beer out" side!

If I had to leave bottles upside down for so long, I think I would rather freeze the necks and the uncap nd shoot the sediment out and then recap...probably cheaper than buying $2 caps for each bottle...and this method works on any type of bottle!

I could then bottle the beer that doesn't fit in the keg...and have it sediment free...

thanks
Bjorn

I always assumed one would only remove the sediment catcher section when one was actually just about to drink the bottle, perhaps you'd chill a pile of bottles, remove all the catcher sections, then chuck the now sediment free bottles into an esky and you're away....

As for that keg upside down idea, I'm actually seeing merit in it, naturally carb a keg, then attach your gas line to the beer post and the beer line to the gas post, leave it in the fridge for 3 or 4 days to chill and settle down and by rights you should only get clear beer as all the crud would be sitting on the lid.....In theory it works......Any volunteers???

mckenry,

If it's such a joke, why the hell are you still posting.

Coz I love a joke. And coz you have to have the last word. Take Manticles advice, chill. We're (most of us) just mucking around.
It's the Australian way - you are Australian right?? <---- see what I did there!!!

As a way of extending the olive branch Crusty (and hopefully put an end to this pointless thread) i have a capper that is surplus to requirements.

You can have it for nix, just pay the cost of the postage.

It's not a bench capper, it's one of these - Link

PM me if you are interested.

I have a hammer capper here you could have too, I used it with no issues for over 4 months before I got my bench capper.

Thanks guys for that.
The 6 sediment catchers turned up today & next brew day I'll give them a go & see what happens. A bit disappointed that Bjornj found some sediment in his bottle though. The vids I saw on them seemed to just leave them alone upside down for a month, put some in the fridge to get cold & drink away. Thats gunna really piss me off if I get to the 20th bottle or so down the track & find sediment. This really renders them useless if that's the case.

Doc,
I appreciate the offer but I am sticking with twist top stubbies & I think I need a bench capper, one of these thingies

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Homebrew-Bench-Moun...r-/350320506737

My local HB guy has them on special at the moment for $40.00

I admit I may of needed to chill a little but it was a great pointless thread, wasn't it?

:icon_cheers:
Bench cappers are definately worth the money. Make sure the one you get can easily have the bell changed if you are ever likely to bottle in champagne bottles. They are awesome. Super simple to use, quick and I've NEVER broken a bottle.

My local HB guy has them on special at the moment for $40.00

$40 is a good price for a bench capper. Snap it up unless ebay or somesuch does you one significantly cheaper (including postage)

And because we all had a belly laugh at a fellow brewer, I have a bench capper you can have for nix if you organise the freight. Cheers

So where do I get one of these Sediment reducers for my keg ???

:super:

Geeze this thread sounds like a school girl fight

QldKev

Thanks guys for that.
The 6 sediment catchers turned up today & next brew day I'll give them a go & see what happens. A bit disappointed that Bjornj found some sediment in his bottle though. The vids I saw on them seemed to just leave them alone upside down for a month, put some in the fridge to get cold & drink away. Thats gunna really piss me off if I get to the 20th bottle or so down the track & find sediment. This really renders them useless if that's the case.
The way i read Bjornj's post as he was not actually using the extractors or using them correctly.
If properly conditioned (stored long enough and given a bit of a swirl to encourage the yeast to slide down the bottle necks) and put in the fridge upside down before removing the top - there is no reason there should be any sediment.

Back