No More Sediment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thorby,

And because we all had a belly laugh at a fellow brewer, I have a bench capper you can have for nix if you organise the freight. Cheers

Bugger. I raced up to my local HB shop & got one this arvo. Ended up being $48.00.
I appreciate the offer though.

QldKev,

So where do I get one of these Sediment reducers for my keg ???

I am selling them. My website is www.................................... JUST KIDDING

How come when you guys highlight a thread & it says at the top of the quote
QUOTE (Crusty @ Apr 8 2010, 01:59 PM

I just go to add reply & I don't get the person or the date it was quoted?

So where do I get one of these Sediment reducers for my keg ???

:super:

Geeze this thread sounds like a school girl fight

QldKev

You could be moderated for your school girl reference there Kev, And so you should be.

How come when you guys highlight a thread & it says at the top of the quote
I just go to add reply & I don't get the person or the date it was quoted?
Click "+quote" then reply. You can click to quote multiple posts but then you need to click the reply button at the bottom.

Yeah but only because I don't hear it very often.

Tell me to get stuffed and I'll feel much more comfortable.

Tell me to get stuffed and I'll feel much more comfortable.
The madi gras was last month, lots of that kind of comfort around then, not so much here on AHB sorry. :wacko:

You could be moderated for your school girl reference there Kev, And so you should be.

Seriously look at 50% of the responses on this thread, and many others, blasting the original poster on his thoughts of some invention. 1 to 2 years ago, people would have been inquisitive on this item and discussed it fairly. Have a search through the history of this forum. Up until about 2008 people were up for a good discussion; and were prepared to listen to the post originators and why they had come up with their topic. One thread I was sent a link to for another reason; demonstrates how several of our better brewers became involved in a 'discussion' about a non stand brewing technique and even helped with experiments. ref: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...showtopic=11074

Now we have these users with high post counts that somehow have become the 'best brewers out there' and blast anyone who puts forward a suggestion. The first about 20 responses were generally discussing the idea, but post 30 it started to go to shit. A few guys including Daemon even tried to get it back on track; but by post 50 the majority of responses had become crap. Have a look at how many direct attacks have been in this thread; would half these people speak to people that way face to face and make fun of them! and you think I should be moderated for an analogy of school girl fight. I think our moderators are more intelligent than that.

QldKev

Seriously look at 50% of the responses on this thread, and many others, blasting the original poster on his thoughts of some invention. 1 to 2 years ago, people would have been inquisitive on this item and discussed it fairly. Have a search through the history of this forum. Up until about 2008 people were up for a good discussion; and were prepared to listen to the post originators and why they had come up with their topic. One thread I was sent a link to for another reason; demonstrates how several of our better brewers became involved in a 'discussion' about a non stand brewing technique and even helped with experiments. ref: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...showtopic=11074

Now we have these users with high post counts that somehow have become the 'best brewers out there' and blast anyone who puts forward a suggestion. The first about 20 responses were generally discussing the idea, but post 30 it started to go to shit. A few guys including Daemon even tried to get it back on track; but by post 50 the majority of responses had become crap. Have a look at how many direct attacks have been in this thread; would half these people speak to people that way face to face and make fun of them! and you think I should be moderated for an analogy of school girl fight. I think our moderators are more intelligent than that.

QldKev

As the OP of this thread, I couldn't agree more. I was generally asking about the use of this product & shit did start to fly at me. I am guilty of retaliating & should not of been so thinned skinned & maybe shut my mouth & try no to have the last say & it did get a little out of hand.
The bar's always open at my house, non-believers included.

The madi gras was last month, lots of that kind of comfort around then, not so much here on AHB sorry. :wacko:

So you haven't read a QLD case swap thread yet then?

Pasteurise, filter and force carb? You could get away with cutting back on your malt bill and maybe change to just a handful of POR at the beginning of the boil, pile in 30% sugar - plain white, bleached and GM. Heaven forbid you put anything in that could cause murkyness

...Dude! Call it 'Loooooite maaaaaayte' You've cracked it!

You could always brew wheat beers for parties / picknics as they are supposed to be consumed with wheat in the glass.
I had some recently which tasted MUCH better with the sediment than when everything had settled out.
Also, bear in mind there are many commercial beers that are shipped with sediment and the consumers seem to love them. Might just be a matter of reducing the amount of sediment (and sticking to wheat beers).
To me it sounds like quite a lot of effort and fairly high cost with the benefit being not comensurate.

Tell us how you go with the sediment catchers as it is intriguing. Also, would be interesting to see how much the spare parts are in case you "loose" some of the caps that remain on the bottles.

Cheers

Roller

KeV. There's nothing really new about these items. It's a take off of what champaigne makers have been doing for centuries. Ie disgorging the sediment. They have just put it into a 'widget' form.

*back to the popcorn - need the Michael Jackson popcorn jpg*

As the OP of this thread, I couldn't agree more. I was generally asking about the use of this product & shit did start to fly at me. I am guilty of retaliating & should not of been so thinned skinned & maybe shut my mouth & try no to have the last say & it did get a little out of hand.
The bar's always open at my house, non-believers included.

Mate good to see you have a sense of humour, most of us were taking the p*iss because we could. No hard feelings and none of us took what you said too serious. Sit back relax have a hb and enlighten us on your next venture. JOKING......... and keep us informed if them things actually work????

Mate good to see you have a sense of humour, most of us were taking the p*iss because we could. No hard feelings and none of us took what you said too serious. Sit back relax have a hb and enlighten us on your next venture. JOKING......... and keep us informed if them things actually work????

Will do,

Next brew will be another APA, last one turned out really good even with my fermentation temp a bit high. Looking for another fridge to stick the fermenter in & I'll have to get myself a TempMate or something similar.
I've got the bench capper now & will probably bottle up the last 10 litres I have left in the keg with the cpbf, they work great. Not too sure why I like swilling out of stubbies, I know you lose the aroma but, it's easier & more convenient, especially when I'm cooking on the barbie. If I get the usual 3-4 litres over from the 23 litre batch I will bottle up 8 beers with the sediment catchers & see how they go.

Crusty

KeV. There's nothing really new about these items. It's a take off of what champaigne makers have been doing for centuries. Ie disgorging the sediment. They have just put it into a 'widget' form.

I'm not debating wherever or not this is a good product or not, it's the way it was handled.

My opinion on this product:
Do I think naturally carb'd beer taste better than forced carb beer; yes it does, no doubt in my mind. I have often thought about carbing kegs with dex/sugar to try and get that texture back. There is a certain quality of forced CO2 carbonation / the carbonic acid that is produced that I don't like. If I did naturally carb my beer again, I would probably carb in a keg, then run the keg till clear, and transfer to another keg; too much work thou. In places like the UK they still serve a lot of naturally car'b kegs, for the flavour.

My house gets through an average of a batch of beer a week. If I allow a 4 week rotation, it's back to a minimum of 120 x 750ml bottles (before kegging I had 200 bottles); in this case all standing on their heads with a basic piece of plastic to support them; dominoes comes to mind. I could build some fancy support stand and have a place to store them; it's not for me.

edit:
I think we should have been discussing the benefits = flavour Vs the draw backs of such a system.

QldKev

I'm not debating wherever or not this is a good product or not, it's the way it was handled.

My opinion on this product:
Do I think naturally carb'd beer taste better than forced carb beer; yes it does, no doubt in my mind. I have often thought about carbing kegs with dex/sugar to try and get that texture back. There is a certain quality of forced CO2 carbonation / the carbonic acid that is produced that I don't like.
QldKev

This is exactly what I noticed when I tasted my cousin's workmates Ag beer last weekend. I couldn't pin point that taste you mentioned but it was there. I did notice it. Another reason in my OP I mentioned the bottles tasted better than the kegged stuff.

Thanks Kev

michaeljacksoneatspopcorn.gif

I think we should have been discussing the benefits = flavour Vs the draw backs of such a system.

If you'd actually read the thread instead of carrying on about everyone's behaviour (after you got to make your own joke without adding anything to the discussion, of course) you'd see these things were discussed before you came in to illuminate everyone with your shining example.

But let's pretend this hadn't occurred and take the statement at face value. Will this system make bottle condition beer taste better than it would have without it? No. Does the ease of use of the system outweigh the traditional method of drinking sediment free bottled beers (i.e. pouring)? No. Does the ultimate application proposed (drinking from the bottle) improve the beer? No.

It's interesting what guys called 'forced carb'. Adding co2 via a bottle to a keg at a normal pressure is no T too differant to bottle carbonation. Is to carb pressure so that a keg is carbed in a under 1 day is force carbing.

Carbonic bite can be noticable in both bottle and keg beers. I've experianced both. It's just easier to do it with a jeg cause you've got co2 on mass and call where as a bottle it's limited.

If I misread ur post keV sorry. I thought u said it was interesting argument back in 2008. I also failed to add to my comment that it's same premis as conical fermentors. It's hard reading from iPhone.

Edit:

Oh crusty, do u use whirflic or similar in ur boil. That assists in reducing resulting trub etc and thus sediment in bottles

Latest posts

Back