No More Sediment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So if you want to sell your kegging setup, only do 23L batches, like swigging from a bottle, something about being a wanker?, and have child slaves to clean all your bottles,

then these are for you?

*runs*

My children aren't slaves mate, they just love getting invioved & helping their Dad. I have never asked them to help, they do it for fun. The exact reason I brew, for fun, & the pleasure of making something that is so superior to any commercial beer out there IMO.
I love swigging from the bottle. I had a great kegging setup worth over a grand but it wasn't for me. I could add some wank factor to kegging setups too as I have owned one but those that keg have their reasons for doing so & it's a no issue for me. If you like kegging & rant & rave about how much time you save against bottling, great, good for you. I enjoy the whole brew day from start to finish. Cleaning bottles is just another step in getting to my goal, I don't give a shit how long it takes me to do it, I really don't care.

Big Nath,

Having experienced kegging first hand, I'll let you in a little secret. If you believe that you can fill a keg in 5mins & be drinking in 30mins, you will be drinking the meanest greenest FLAT beer possible. Even at 300KPA you will need to roll your keg & muck around hoping to hell that you haven't overgassed the thing.
I use a secondary fermenter for all my beers, dry hopped & left it alone for another week. After that week, I siphon from secondary to the keg, add 100kpa, chill overnight, get another keg & filter from keg to keg, very slowly, It's more like a 20-30min transfer. So you may be a little blindsided by your thoughts of kegging mate, it too can be a PITA. Oh did I mention that one of my gas lines ( JG ) split during the night & wasted $68.00 worth of CO2? Nothing open on Sunday too, that really pissed me off. I can tell you that kegged beer WILL taste better after the second week. So I have to leave my bottles which are naturally conditioned for an extra couple of weeks. I don't care. I have 5 1/2 cartons worth on hand, ready to go anywhere.
So to sum it up, some people like to keg & have X amount of beers on tap but I like bottling, always have always will.
Does naturally conditioned bottled beer taste better than force carbed beer of the same age, YES IT DOES.

:icon_drunk: Crusty

Big Nath,

Having experienced kegging first hand, I'll let you in a little secret. If you believe that you can fill a keg in 5mins & be drinking in 30mins, you will be drinking the meanest greenest FLAT beer possible. Even at 300KPA you will need to roll your keg & muck around hoping to hell that you haven't overgassed the thing.
I use a secondary fermenter for all my beers, dry hopped & left it alone for another week. After that week, I siphoned from secondary to keg, added 100kpa, chilled overnight, got another keg & filtered from keg to keg very slowly. More like 20-30min transfer. So you may be a little blindsided by your thoughts of kegging mate, it too can be a PITA. Oh did I mention that one of my gas lines ( JG ) split during the night & wasted $68.00 worth of CO2? Nothing open on Sunday too, that really pissed me off. I can tell you that kegged beer WILL taste better after the second week. So I have to leave my bottles which are naturally conditioned for an extra couple of weeks. I don't care. I have 5 1/2 cartons worth on hand, ready to go anywhere.
So to sum it up, some people like to keg & have X amount of beers on tap but I like bottling, always have always will.
Does naturally conditioned bottled beer taste better than forc carbed beer of the same age, YES IT DOES.

yeah i know and agree with you. I only drink it that quick if in an emergency. Usually they sit in the keg for a week or so before i tap it. And i do bottle a bit aswell.

was just being cheeky mate....

yeah i know and agree with you. I only drink it that quick if in an emergency. Usually they sit in the keg for a week or so before i tap it. And i do bottle a bit aswell.

was just being cheeky mate....

No worries mate,
I know you guys are only mucking around & no offence taken.
Bottling can be a bit labour intensive if you are a huge drinker, but I have 150 x 355ml ( 6.25 cartons ) crown lager bottles pretty much ready all the time & I often go a week without having a beer due to work committments. I just found the kegging setup so grounded. It's fine when your at home but offering a few beers to your mates from the bottle which unfortunately their accustomed too, is easier for me.
I did find kegged beer better at week 2 than week 1 & it did mellow over time. I got onto the sediment catchers purely to bottle the 2-3 litres I had left after kegging. I thought at first they were a little expensive, maybe a bit gimmicky & couldn't be bothered with the whole idea. After using them quite a few times now, I am so glad I stumbled onto them. For people out there bottling theirs beers, they work perfectly. No leaking issues, no lost carbonation & crystal clear sediment free beer.

:icon_drunk: crusty

Does naturally conditioned bottled beer taste better than force carbed beer of the same age, YES IT DOES.

Thats a matter of opinion. I say NO IT DOESN'T :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers:

1 week of age :huh: let it age man,let it age! 4 weeks min.(exception, wheats)

Out of interest, can someone tell me if a bottle was opened once fully carbed, then re-sealed with a conventional cap straight away, would you end up with a flat beer in the long term? I like the idea of these for giving beer away, entering in comps etc but damned if I would part with these devices at the price.

I may have posted this earlier in the thread, too lazy to look, but up to now my standard batch has been one keg and four bottles left over. And I keep the bottles as an archive and some (stouts, milds) get into comps.

However as I know others find, after say a month the kegged version of a beer and its bottled brother part company considerably in style and flavour. It's not that the bottled beer is bad, it's just different. To me it's not as fresh and quaffable, and the UK styles get really dry and woody, and there's something happening that seems to destroy hop aroma. I had an Irish Red last night that was around 4 months old and it was not really enjoyable in the way that I remember the original kegged version.

Out of interest, can someone tell me if a bottle was opened once fully carbed, then re-sealed with a conventional cap straight away, would you end up with a flat beer in the long term? I like the idea of these for giving beer away, entering in comps etc but damned if I would part with these devices at the price.

Depending on the temp of the beer, only a certain amount of CO2 is going to come out of solution. If it was immediate and the beeer was cold I think the effect would be minimal. Extrapolating on principles generally but I have opened beer that was not carbonated enough, re-capped immediately and re-opened several weeks later with properly carbonated beer.

For those of you who bottle & may not of heard about the Brodie sediment extractors, here is an APA bulk primed, 2.6 vol/Co2 which was bottled two days ago on 15/11/2010. 48hrs into carbonation you can clearly see just how good these things actually work. Quite a bit of sediment there already.

DSC_0074.jpg

DSC_0073.jpg

DSC_0072.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

Crusty

Depending on the temp of the beer, only a certain amount of CO2 is going to come out of solution. If it was immediate and the beeer was cold I think the effect would be minimal. Extrapolating on principles generally but I have opened beer that was not carbonated enough, re-capped immediately and re-opened several weeks later with properly carbonated beer.
If you chill the beer right down ie:3/4c ,open ,pour a small sample ,then recap ,you;ll lose bugger all carbonation in the 5 or so seconds it takes IMHO.Also a good way to check a bottle before entry into a comp. :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back