No More Sediment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you'd actually read the thread instead of carrying on about everyone's behaviour (after you got to make your own joke without adding anything to the discussion, of course) you'd see these things were discussed before you came in to illuminate everyone with your shining example.

But let's pretend this hadn't occurred and take the statement at face value. Will this system make bottle condition beer taste better than it would have without it? No. Does the ease of use of the system outweigh the traditional method of drinking sediment free bottled beers (i.e. pouring)? No. Does the ultimate application proposed (drinking from the bottle) improve the beer? No.

:icon_offtopic: Sorry to the original poster for this off topic

I see your inadequate level of comprehension has come into play once again. I stated "The first about 20 responses were generally discussing the idea" and I did not say all 100% were all idiotic posts. I have never responded negatively about anyone coming up with a joke to lift what had become an over serious topic; unless they are directed at the person. It is the bunch of posters who recite the documented way of brewing and don't apply any intelligence from their own brewing experience; in an attempt to make other brewers look inferior to them, and then spam pages of crap into posts if a topic does not conform to standard; that I respond negatively to.

If you'd actually read the thread instead of carrying on about everyone's behaviour (after you got to make your own joke without adding anything to the discussion, of course) you'd see these things were discussed before you came in to illuminate everyone with your shining example.

But let's pretend this hadn't occurred and take the statement at face value. Will this system make bottle condition beer taste better than it would have without it? No. Does the ease of use of the system outweigh the traditional method of drinking sediment free bottled beers (i.e. pouring)? No. Does the ultimate application proposed (drinking from the bottle) improve the beer? No.

I agree that you normally would just tip the beer into a large glass/jug minimising any yeast contamination. I can see 2 main opportunities where the use of these would be beneficial. The first and possibly most important use would be for beers you wish to send off; this would include comps. So you can bottle condition a beer, remove the yeast layer using these devices; and you beer arrives bottle condition and no yeast cake stirred up by the post. The down side is since you just sent the cap off, it adds another couple of dollars to the cost of entering a comp. The second would be for that batch of carefully crafted RIS that you want to be perfect.

QldKev

edit: I am not going to continue posting in this topic as these are off topic and under the site rules should not be allowed.

Oh crusty, do u use whirflic or similar in ur boil. That assists in reducing resulting trub etc and thus sediment in bottles
CM2,
I use coppafloc in the last 10mins of the boil. I have an immersion chiller that makes it a little hard to whirpool but if left alone for a little while before transfer to fermenter, it's pretty clear.

CM2,
I use coppafloc in the last 10mins of the boil. I have an immersion chiller that makes it a little hard to whirpool but if left alone for a little while before transfer to fermenter, it's pretty clear.
coppafloc whirfloc essentialy same stuff. all good.
yeah my chiller gets in the way of whirlpooling also. PITA isnt it <_<

Go invest in a paint stirrer....

BIAB1%20002.JPG

I personally use mine as a mash paddle, connect it to the cordless drill and I get some serious stirring action going on....I reckon one of those straight down the centre of the pot in the middle of the chiller and 3 minutes later you would have a decent whirlpool going on.

BIAB1%20002.JPG

I personally use mine as a mash paddle, connect it to the cordless drill and I get some serious stirring action going on....I reckon one of those straight down the centre of the pot in the middle of the chiller and 3 minutes later you would have a decent whirlpool going on.
*smacks his forhead* I have one of these i use to aerate wort prior to pitching (I even have the red one as pictured). bloody hell. it will fit inside my chiller.
champ Pollux. champ!

Hey, I hadn't thought of that!

Will have to check that out, great thinking.

thanks
Bjorn

Is it wrong that I just use a plastic spoon?
your an amatuer! a real man brings power tools into everything he does! :lol:
my spoon broke ages ago. go the paint stirrer! i mainly got it for mead which required aerating the shit out of it.

Just don't forget lads, spooning leads to forking ;)

BIAB1%20002.JPG

I would have thought that using a mixer would cause some sort of aeration issues. My whirlpool efforts now seem meaningless :(

Lets not forget that it will also increase the chill rate, particularly your chiller runs in a counter clockwise direction....

Some credit must go to Vitalstatistix, I watched him do it with a flat mash paddle last time I was round at his place and the speed at which his wort chilled was almost enough to make me reconsider NC.........

I thought George Michael had flown home?????? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sorry to Crusty for another off-topic....

But geeze Thorby, 48 posts in without 1 being useful; you really need help!

Seriously

QldKev

OK skeptics & affiliated police, get out ya torches & pitchforks cause I got somethin to tell ya.
I have sold my kegging setup, my cpbf & have gone back to bottling exclusively. I am using the sediment catchers on all my bottles & I'll tell you this from my experience.

Do they work?

They actually do. They are fantastic. As instructed by the company, I followed their instructions to the T & am extremely pleased. Absolutely zero sediment in any bottles. I unscrew the catcher part off, chuck a 6 pack in the esky & away we go. No more sediment baby.
I have extensively tested them on 3 brews & am glad I got onto these things. I tested an APA that was 1 month old against a 2 month old conditioned beer & no difference in taste to me. Bulk primed, 2.6vol co2 stored @ 20deg C. I am leaving the sediment catchers on until I am ready to chill them down & the results are great. I firmly believe from my own experience that a naturally conditioned beer after 1 month does in fact taste better than the same beer force carbed & the same age from the keg. Why, I don't have the answer but it does. I have 150 of them that I payed $287.00 + postage. I only do single 23 litre batches & have around 5 1/2 cartons on hand at any one time, that's more than adequate for me. After kegging & trying all sorts of different recipes, I found that I consistently only ever made two of my favourites anyway. Having four different beers on tap didn't really appeal to me. I guess I find a great deal of pleasure swigging my own All Grain beer from the bottle with my own beer label on it ( wank factor ) quite enjoyable. Kegging for me was a pita & I understand washing bottles is a chore that we all hate but both my kids get stuck into it using the jet bottle washer & hang the bottles on the bottle tree. They love it.
So if anyone is looking at bottling their beers, give these a go, they do work & they are brilliant.

:icon_drunk: Crusty

OK skeptics & affiliated police, get out ya torches & pitchforks cause I got somethin to tell ya.
I have sold my kegging setup, my cpbf & have gone back to bottling exclusively. I am using the sediment catchers on all my bottles & I'll tell you this from my experience.

Do they work?

They actually do. They are fantastic. As instructed by the company, I followed their instructions to the T & am extremely pleased. Absolutely zero sediment in any bottles. I unscrew the catcher part off, chuck a 6 pack in the esky & away we go. No more sediment baby.
I have extensively tested them on 3 brews & am glad I got onto these things. I tested an APA that was 1 month old against a 2 month old conditioned beer & no difference in taste to me. Bulk primed, 2.6vol co2 stored @ 20deg C. I am leaving the sediment catchers on until I am ready to chill them down & the results are great. I firmly believe from my own experience that a naturally conditioned beer after 1 month does in fact taste better than the same beer force carbed & the same age from the keg. Why, I don't have the answer but it does. I have 150 of them that I payed $287.00 + postage. I only do single 23 litre batches & have around 5 1/2 cartons on hand at any one time, that's more than adequate for me. After kegging & trying all sorts of different recipes, I found that I consistently only ever made two of my favourites anyway. Having four different beers on tap didn't really appeal to me. I guess I find a great deal of pleasure swigging my own All Grain beer from the bottle with my own beer label on it ( wank factor ) quite enjoyable. Kegging for me was a pita & I understand washing bottles is a chore that we all hate but both my kids get stuck into it using the jet bottle washer & hang the bottles on the bottle tree. They love it.
So if anyone is looking at bottling their beers, give these a go, they do work & they are brilliant.

Crusty

So if you want to sell your kegging setup, only do 23L batches, like swigging from a bottle, something about being a wanker?, and have child slaves to clean all your bottles,

then these are for you?

*runs*

So if you want to sell your kegging setup, only do 23L batches, like swigging from a bottle, something about being a wanker?, and have child slaves to clean all your bottles,

then these are for you?

*runs*

Yeah i'm with you on this one JD.

I've lost count of how many times i've thought it would be much better to spend 40 minutes bottling, waiting several weeks to drink as opposed to 5 minutes to fill a keg, and drinking inside 30 mins. Might have to sell up and buy more bottles.

*sarcasm*

Rest up. The guy was interested in a product, tried them for himself and reported back.

Not a product that appeals to me either but there you go.

Latest posts

Back