No lift brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Batz said:
I may be or may not be a bit older than you..but
I think a lift table would be great to move fermenters into and out of my fridges, then up it goes for racking into kegs or gravity filtering. Also good to load my tool boxes in the beast when going of to work. Just need a few more non-brewing uses to pass the you know what ;)

Batz
Haven’t you considered using one of those new tool box pumps? :p

BeerBottle said:
Thanks. I understand what you were saying. I still want to get it closer so I only have to run 5m of hose instead of 10 or 15m. Last time I bought a meter of the hose it cost a bloody fortune. I will have a tap at the fill end like you suggested.
I’m not sure but from memory my PW hose was only about $20 for 20m.

[SIZE=11pt]Edit: Or maybe $20 for 10m, but not terribly expensive. [/SIZE]

You won't get many off flavours from garden hose as long as you run plenty of water through first to ckear out the water that's been sitting in it for a while. Water mains are mainly poly these days anyway.

I know your pain sir. hernia-repair survivor here too. After 6 weeks of recovery I started brewing again and being the gentleman I am - I just got the missus to do all my heavy lifting for me :p

contrarian said:
You won't get many off flavours from garden hos
Not many off flavours? Well I guess if you don’t mind a few the garden hose is ok then. :p I would use a garden hose if I had nothing else.

Another simple option would be to use a cube or bucket to carry smaller manageable quantities of water to top up the fermenter.

contrarian said:
You won't get many off flavours from garden hose as long as you run plenty of water through first to ckear out the water that's been sitting in it for a while. Water mains are mainly poly these days anyway.
Got to waste well over 25 litres before the smell goes from my garden hose! There's a reason they make potable water hose______garden hose is not suitable!!

I've said it before. Garden hose water tastes shithouse! Poly pipe and rehau, yorkflex style domestic water pipe is fine. Get the clear potable water hose if you have to use a hose

superstock said:
Got to waste well over 25 litres before the smell goes from my garden hose! There's a reason they make potable water hose______garden hose is not suitable!!
Actually contrarian’s beers taste great so whatever he’s using seems to work well. :lol: My lead lined galvanised HLT is far too heavy to carry so I use my potable water hose to fill it. B)

Not had major issues with odor or taste using garden hose myself, but, it does run through a double cartridge filter first, one for sediment and the second activated carbon.

Dare I say it.. BIAB.

Block and tackle the bag, pour the wort into 10L cubes which you can either lift or put on a trolley and then ferment in the same cubes. Hell you can use 5L cubes if you want.

Judanero said:
How does the lift mechanism work? I'm wondering if I could remove the wheels from it and have one permanently installed in my keezer or fermenting freezer. Rather than lifting kegs/fermenters in/out of it you could just use the lift instead.

Would also need some kind of smoke generator, coloured neon lights and play something like "The Final Countdown" by Europe as it raised them up.

scon said:
How does the lift mechanism work? I'm wondering if I could remove the wheels from it and have one permanently installed in my keezer or fermenting freezer. Rather than lifting kegs/fermenters in/out of it you could just use the lift instead.

Would also need some kind of smoke generator, coloured neon lights and play something like "The Final Countdown" by Europe as it raised them up.
Lift mechanism is a hydraulic ram (read jack) acting on a scissor arrangement.
Can't help you with the smoke, lights & music but I'm sure you can find them on ebay.

I must admit I've never done a side by side with or without the garden hose but always give it a good run first. Citrus trees or hops always enjoy a good drink. Also for BIAB so not sure I would use the same process if I was making kits.

I've made some ordinary beers but I wouldn't be blaming the hose for that!

Latest posts

Back