No Frills low cost pressure fermenting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like our opposition is still desperate to hang shit on us. Take a look at this:

Wolff said:
Hey @KegLand-com-au first of all thanks for keeping us all occupied here in Vic!

Apologies if it's been asked before, but have you ever considered creating a PET Corny Keg (or at least a similar vessel with the same outer dimensions?).

Something like Keg King's 'Fermenter King Jr' but in 9.5L/19L and in the same footprint of a ball lock corny keg.

I'd definitely swap out my stainless kegs to be able to see the liquid volume for transfers and keeping track of what's left.
Yes absolutely now that second hand kegs are pretty much dried up all over the world we have been putting significant effort into making plastic kegs so we have a lower cost way to get into home brewing. With that said kegs above all else need to protect the beverage against oxygen. Many people have this idea that PET is impermeable but in actual fact it's not. Oxygen can pass through PET at a slow rate. As a result I would never put beer into PET for an extended period as the gas transmission rate is not suitable to be stored in PET for more than 1-2 months. In order for kegs to be acceptable for long term storage standard PET grades are not able to do the job. Really what you have to do is use a multi-layer preform. This involves other plastics such as EVOH and other newer polymers that are sandwiched in between the PET layers. When this is done the plastic keg can have barrier properties that are comparable to a stainless steel keg.

If you want to do an experiment with the Fermenter King Jr you can put a Light Lager or Pilsner or some other light flavoured beer into this type of keg then see what it tastes like after 3-6 months. The beer will be oxidised and taste a bit like cardboard. It's ok if you are fermenting but then again the opening size at the top is a bit small for a fermenter and hard to clean for this reason. So it's really designed like a keg but then sold as a fermenter because the oxygen barrier is not good enough for a keg.

We are going to release an 8L keg that uses a multi-layer preform and as a result has very good oxygen transmission rate but this probably will not be until the end of the year. If this product is successful then we will also make a 20L design that will be similar in size and shape to the corny kegs at the moment. The development cycle on these products is quite long because the multi-layer walls are far more difficult to make.”

...... Take a look at this:

Yes absolutely now that second hand kegs are pretty much dried up all over the world we have been putting significant effort into making plastic kegs so we have a lower cost way to get into home brewing. With that said kegs above all else need to protect the beverage against oxygen. Many people have this idea that PET is impermeable but in actual fact it's not. Oxygen can pass through PET at a slow rate. As a result I would never put beer into PET for an extended period as the gas transmission rate is not suitable to be stored in PET for more than 1-2 months. In order for kegs to be acceptable for long term storage standard PET grades are not able to do the job. Really what you have to do is use a multi-layer preform. This involves other plastics such as EVOH and other newer polymers that are sandwiched in between the PET layers. When this is done the plastic keg can have barrier properties that are comparable to a stainless steel keg.

If you want to do an experiment with the Fermenter King Jr you can put a Light Lager or Pilsner or some other light flavoured beer into this type of keg then see what it tastes like after 3-6 months. The beer will be oxidised and taste a bit like cardboard. It's ok if you are fermenting but then again the opening size at the top is a bit small for a fermenter and hard to clean for this reason. So it's really designed like a keg but then sold as a fermenter because the oxygen barrier is not good enough for a keg.

We are going to release an 8L keg that uses a multi-layer preform and as a result has very good oxygen transmission rate but this probably will not be until the end of the year. If this product is successful then we will also make a 20L design that will be similar in size and shape to the corny kegs at the moment. The development cycle on these products is quite long because the multi-layer walls are far more difficult to make.”

The Fermenter King Junior is made as a Fermenter but if people want to use them as a keg then why not. For those looking for long term storage we of course offer it as a proper PET keg with Oxygen barrier (See the attached picture). I think you will find these are extremely good for the longer term storage. Once the Covid 19 Situation improves and allows us to resume production (Yes we do production right here in Melbourne) then they will be available to home and craft brewers at very good pricing.

Its a bit strange when we point out all the problems with their FermZilles exploding all over the place that people find excuses and when they try to put up fake stuff like they did about our stainless steel fridges people mouth off because we dare to call out the falsehoods. So there you go folks you can now have the opportunity to say something about why they need to talk about an oxygen barrier in something we offer as a fermenter.

If you want to use a clear keg for short term dispensing then I doubt you will be able to find any flavour issues. There’s a lot of home brewers out there who would be complaining about it if it were so already. The Junior has enabled so many brewers an easy entry to pressure fermenting and you know they are going to love the 30 litre Chubby version probably even more.

Attachments

• 3B48AEB5-6F6C-4C88-B07B-A3FC733191A3.jpeg
    3B48AEB5-6F6C-4C88-B07B-A3FC733191A3.jpeg
    178.5 KB · Views: 120
Last edited by a moderator:
##post edited by moderator to remove quote of deleted post

Well at least we can make proper PET Kegs and stuff that does not explode. Also I think that all the support we received from a lot of people here and internationally about how dodgy it is to take our domain name and use it in China has convinced me that its not a stupid marketing move as some would have us believe.

Anyway we can make kegs with proper oxygen barriers right now here in Australia. If we felt people wanted a smaller one its just another mold. Our plant can do from 5 to 100 litre and more once the second line is up at the end of this year. We are proud to make products for the home brewer that we stand behind and which people can use without worry that they will explode.

## posted edited by moderator to remove quote of deleted post

Well our team has no problems to make such a product and has worked hard on producing high quality PET vessels that do not suffer from zilly problems. If he really wanted to get people to experiment with how beer stores for 3-6 months in a clear PET vessel he had no need to point to our product but could have used one of his fermenters. Maybe he is worried it will go bang like so many of them have already.

Some people may have missed one of our videos about getting into Pressure Ferrmentation so here is the link:

Last edited:
Hi, Im having problems with the posts on a KK junior. Having trouble getting the disconnects (new) on. Anyone have any ideas?

Push hard. Make sure you have the right ones going on the right posts.

Black (liquid) no notch on post.

Grey (gas) notch on post.

Also, a small smear of lube always helps. I use food grade lubrifilm.

They can take a fair bit of force to click on until you get em worn in a little.

Thanks, I'll give it a go, I notice my beer is not carbed though it serves OK. MAy have a leak on the posts? I fitted them and the PRV with tape.

As a continuation to the story, I pushed too hard and managed to snap off the plastic beer post moulded into the lid! Anyone know if replacement lids are available?

As a continuation to the story, I pushed too hard and managed to snap off the plastic beer post moulded into the lid! Anyone know if replacement lids are available?
Yes we can offer you a replacement lid. If its just a lid you want then PM me and I will sort it asap for you.

## edited by moderator to remove quote of previously deleted post

Our efforts remain focussed on providing high quality PET vessels that cannot be compared to stuff made by inferior processes. What we produce here in Australia is far better than anything currently being imported from China and that is because we have the right equipment to make these tanks properly. It is extremely important for us that customers are aware of this and we will continue to disassociate our PET pressure fermenter products from everything else on the market. Other products might have similar looks but Keg King vessels are inherently superior thanks to a patented manufacturing process. See how strong they are when we used them to lift a vehicle. No micro cracks to give shelter to bacteria.

I have done a bit of "moderating" and gone back over the last few pages to remove the reference/promotions etc of competitors and/or their products in this thread.

I have not been able to go all the way back to the start of this thread because a) most of it is farily dated and been out for viewing for a long time so the horse has probably bolted on the old stuff, and b) I just dont have the time.

If there are previous posts that may need consideration please click on the report button an let us know.

Cheers
GrumpyPaul
on behalf of the moderating team

Hey Will.
What is the total capacity of the Fermenter King 60L Uni Tank. Just wondering if I can fit a full 60lt batch from my guten in there and still have some head space?
Thanks

Latest posts

Back