Fermentasaurus losing pressure

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrdanielpcollins

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I bought the snub nose fermentasaurus last week and 2 days ago I put down my first brew. I also bought the Keg King spunding valve.
After 2 days the pressure rose to 5psi
But since has started dropping. After work today 3 days since I started fermenting the pressure sits at 2psi...
Now I can't rule out one of kids pulling on the release valve, but it does look like it's been disturbed.
Will it have a negative effect on my brew if the pressure does not start rising again? I may head out and a co2 tank to manually increase the pressure.
One more question, what would be the ideal pressure to ferment at?

Sorry for all the questions.

Little update, after I wrote my question last jight I went out and took the spunding valve off and when I checked this morning she had risen back to 5psi. So I've taken the spunding valve off again and tightened everything up and will see how that goes.

I think I may need to head out and get some Teflon tape. Might help seal it up.

I have KK's and KL's and both work but I much prefer the KL one https://www.kegland.com.au/blowtie-diaphragm-spunding-valve-kit.html I find it less fiddly to get an exact pressure, although if kids have access to your fermenter the big yellow knob may be too much of a temptation. As to pressure the consensus seems to be 15psi max due to yeast stress, others will disagree no doubt, it depends on what exactly you are trying to achieve by using pressure, there are many reasons for pressure fermenting, and quite a few different uses for a spunding valve, naturally carbing a keg for example, just fill keg, chuck in 80gms dex, and fit spunding valve set to your desired carb level, jobs done, and yes there are reasons for naturally carbing a keg as opposed to force carbing. More information will probably yield more specific help, style of beer, yeast used, temp controlled etc. There's some very knowledgeable people here who are happy to help.

Back