Spunding set up

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys

First time using a spunding valve so excuse the ignorance. I set up the valve to 10psi using a gas bottle last night (working fine) then attached it to the fermentasaurus. The brew was fermenting nicely (plenty of bubbles in the blow off tube) when I attached it.

When I checked this morning the gauge read 0 psi (picture below).

Should the gauge read 10 psi? Or does it go down to 0 when pressure is released, and rise again to the release point of 10psi? If it reduces to 0 perhaps I saw it after it "spunded" (is that a word??!!!).

Or maybe I've got the set up wrong?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Attachments

• Spunding .jpg
    Spunding .jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Hi Guys

First time using a spunding valve so excuse the ignorance. I set up the valve to 10psi using a gas bottle last night (working fine) then attached it to the fermentasaurus. The brew was fermenting nicely (plenty of bubbles in the blow off tube) when I attached it.

When I checked this morning the gauge read 0 psi (picture below).

Should the gauge read 10 psi? Or does it go down to 0 when pressure is released, and rise again to the release point of 10psi? If it reduces to 0 perhaps I saw it after it "spunded" (is that a word??!!!).

Or maybe I've got the set up wrong?

Thanks for your thoughts.
It will get up to 10psi and stay there releasing anything above that to maintain the set pressure inside while actively fermenting.
If it drops to 0 psi then you most likely have a leak somewhere. Will be more noticeable when fermentation slows/stops.

Don't forget to add a bit pressure if cold crashing as it will drop then too. If you start from 0psi it can go negative and crush your fermenter.

Looking at the picture of your set up it appears the centre port in the lid is open. Or is it just a trick of the light ?

Back