No Chilling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juzz1981

Reaction score
If racking straight into the fermenter to cool overnight after the boil, could you just shake the fermenter to splash the wort to give aeration when wort is at pitching temp?

Yes.

Make sure the lid is on properly.

Racking into a fermenter rather than a cube is more slow chilling than no-chilling.

Make sure the lid is on properly.

:rolleyes: Has Juzz got form.

Its a bit hard to shake a fermenter I found Juzz, I use Better Bottles ( fully sealed ) most of the time and I shake the shit out of em before pitching, If I was doing what you are doing I would pour into a jug or flask from the tap of the fermenter and chuck it back in on top, time and time again.

Slow chilling is letting the wort chill naturally. No chilling is putting the hot wort into a sealed container with minimal headspace, squeezing the remaining air out and allowing the heat to pasteurise the container.

Similar in the case of using a fermenter but I'm not sure how you could get all the air out. With slow chilling, you need to pitch when the wort is cool (say 12 -24 hours) and there is a slight risk of infection during that time. With no-chill you can potentially keep the wort unfermented for months or more.

Slow chilling is letting the wort chill naturally. No chilling is putting the hot wort into a sealed container with minimal headspace, squeezing the remaining air out and allowing the heat to pasteurise the container.

Similar in the case of using a fermenter but I'm not sure how you could get all the air out. With slow chilling, you need to pitch when the wort is cool (say 12 -24 hours) and there is a slight risk of infection during that time. With no-chill you can potentially keep the wort unfermented for months or more.

Apart from reducing the risk of infection does the no chill method offer any other advantages (ie more aroma, less oxidation)?

I currently use slow chill for my AG brews, but with summer approaching it sounds like a no chill approach could be a wise move.

The main advantage is time. If your starter is slow or fails on you you can leave the wort happily until you can get the yeast ready. You can also brew in advance - say you had loads of time for two months but lots of work/family committments up ahead - you could brew several batches and store, just adding yeast when the time was right. No chill has been stored by some up to a year no issue (maybe longer).

Basically no chill cubes are fresh wort kits you made yourself.

These are the main differences as far as I can see. Slow chill in summer is more risky as the wort will sit at bacteria loving temps for longer. In winter I reckon you can pretty much get away with anything (at least in Melb anyway). Peace of mind with no chill, less so with slow.

You probably have to make adjustments for hop aroma in both cases if that aroma is a major part of the beer profile. Suggested methods include hopping the cube as you fill it rather than a F/O addition, french press and dry hopping. Oxidation depends on how careful you are with the hot wort and fermenting beer- no major advantage in either case due to method.

copied my reply from your other thread

Thats the way I aerate, i think the wyeast or whitelabs website has a FAQ that says 45s of shaking should give you saturation of 8ppm oxygen, the only way to get more is to use pure oxygen w/ a stone.

A few pints watching the golf on a friday night, I might not be as articulate as usual... However;

No chilling = brew in fury, ferment at your leisure.
Slow chilling to me means leave your wort susceptible to infections for a while and hope it stays good when you're good to pitch. You wouldn't leave a big chink of chicken fillet out at room temp for 12- 24 hrs before cooking would you??? It'll be ok most of the time, but then one day you'll get an infection... After all the effort you went to make it up, throw it into a sealed cube and then you can pitch whenever you want.

Unless you're rapid chilling you'll lose a touch of aroma and increase bitterness.

Again my advice... Cube it.

Edit: articumalation

Is there any reason why you cant give the fermenter a shake whilst the yeast has been pitched?

Aerating up until the yeast enters its anaerobic phase is fine provided the wort is in the right temp range. After that you run the risk of oxidising the beer (leading to staling and related flavours).

Generally once krausen has started, you want to avoid too much splashing. When the wort is hot/warm (anywhere above 26 according to JP anyway) you want to avoid splashing. Pretty much the only time you should splash is when the wort is cool and in the lead up to the beginning of fermentation.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-9-3.html

To be honest, if you pitch enough yeast and give the whole thing a bit of shakin' love at the beginning, it's not likely you'll need to shake later anyway.

Thanks for all the help guys.

B)

Hmm, something I didn't realise is you shouldnt splah/aerate when the wort is hot, I actually did this when racking from the kettle as i thought it would help... DOH!

**always learning**

Two other advantages of using a cube.
As you can see there's a better surface to volume ratio - for heat radiating purposes - than a barrel fermenter so in most parts of Settled Australia for 8 months of the year (or 12 months in Victoria :rolleyes: ) you can stick the cube out the back door and it's ready to pitch the next morning.

cube1Small.jpg

Also when pouring into the fermenter you can do so in a good glugging stream from a height to aerate the wort. Suitable cubes from $22 at Bunnings although you can get clearance jobs for as little as $15 around the traps if you keep an eye out.

Juzz - You dont need to aerate your wort if using dry yeast.

Edit......Dont know the science behind it just havent done for years after hearing Ross from here saying the same thing.

Ah, OK.

Well after checking the brew this morning it has krausened so everything is going ok.
Just hope it turns out OK since I "aerated" while the wort was hot.

Thanks Again

HSA can lead to stability problems (Hot side aeration). Is it a beer you were hoping to age? If not, you may not notice a thing.

Just hope it turns out OK since I "aerated" while the wort was hot.

Thanks Again

You dont want to do that.
Next time just leave in the fermenter overnight to cool and sprinkle in the dry yeast next morning. If using a liquid yeast grab another fermenter and a little bottler, stick the full one on top of the washing machine with the empty one on the floor and turn the tap on. Pitch the liquid yeast into the bottom one. Too easy.
Cheers
Steve

HSA can lead to stability problems (Hot side aeration). Is it a beer you were hoping to age? If not, you may not notice a thing.

Well in that case it wont matter to me because this will be drank within a month or two.. :)

thanks for all the replies/advice

Back