No Chill bitterness effects?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually just add cube hops as a 5 minute steep. It seems to work in that the beers turn out as expected.

Personally I think the biggest problem is people cant tell the difference between Hop Taste and Bitterness.
I know some will say that if it tastes bitterer it must be, but not really the case. Bittiness (IBU's) is a measure of the amount of dissolved Iso-Alpha in the beer, to say that it tastes bitter with more hop taste components is a bit like measuring the bitterness of Tonic Water (=0 IBU's) it bitter but not hop bitter if that makes sense.
You can learn the difference, get some pre-isomerised hop product, dilute it down to about 25-30 IBU. Make up some hop tea (stay under 80oC), the tea will have very little IBU type bitterness (under the taste threshold) but plenty of hop taste. Taste the two and you can tell the difference, with a bit of practice you can pick out the difference even when the two are mixed together as is in a beer.
Mark

This is spot on!

I often taste my hydro sample and it tastes way more bitter than I wanted. Then after the brew is finished and keg it tastes much better. Reason is that there is hop particles in the sample that haven't yet settled and been chilled, giving that hop bitterness in your mouth. Once it's all settled, the beer mellows

I find that with FG samples compared to the finished beer as well. I read somewhere that it can be hop compounds sticking to the yeast too so when the yeast drops out and drags them with it, the beer tastes less bitter.

I find that with FG samples compared to the finished beer as well. I read somewhere that it can be hop compounds sticking to the yeast too so when the yeast drops out and drags them with it, the beer tastes less bitter.
Concur, I sit my samples in the freezer for a few minutes before tasting to try and drop the particulate out.

Latest posts

Back