No Chill bitterness effects?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Better off leaving the 60 min but just reducing it. Any later additions are the ones you want to shift.

I got the idea of a brewing podcast who were interviewing and American craft brewing company. They were doing a few Brews with only 10 min and below additions. Will have to find it again.

Not to say that moving 60 minute additions doesn't work, the point is more that no chilling has zero effect on them contributing any noticeable increase in bitterness.

Worth giving a go putting all the hops in the cube, not at flameout. I've loved beers made that way.
Edit* if you find FO still too bitter

I do this and get some unexpected (good) results. You trap all the volatile aroma oils in the cube, more than a 80C steep.

100g of motueka in 55L cubes had a massive hop aroma in a Saison that I made. Good baseline IPA territory to be honest.

As others suggest I usually reduce hop addition durations by 15 minutes in order to account for the additional bitterness no-chilling brings to late additions, or by 5 if I was pool-chilling. Most of the beers I brew are IPAs (US, session, black, red etc).

However, earlier this year I started treating my water to account for chlorine and as a result I ended up with a sharp increase in perceived bitterness.

To address this I've kept up with treating the water but moved all hop additions to 15 minutes later even when pool chilling. This has worked well.

The only exception to this method was for my recent 5% session NEIPA - I didn't treat the water at all (to suppress bitterness) and just added 100g each of Simcoe and Citra to each cube, and a big dry hop of Cascade. The result is literally sweet citrus hop juice and the keg seems to be evaporating...

^ with your pool chilling method;

How long in the cube before it goes into the pool?

How long does it take for the temp to drop to pool water temp?

Do you think it would be the same affect with water in a 44Gal drum?

I tried a taste again today, to be honest the bitterness isn’t as bad as I was expecting. It’s actually quite refreshing in the mouth. However the beer feels thin, watery and lacking any obvious flavour. I mean you can detect a faint hoppiness but nothing as fruity as I would expect from the cascade and galaxy additions. Also there appears to be almost no maltiness or backbone to it. Could this be due to the skewed mash temperature? Along with the plastic taste from the new cube I would say it’s pretty un-drinkable! Bugger...

To add to the above post, my thermometer was screwed so mash temp was approximately 6 higher than required. The fermentation stopped at 1.026 so it’s a 3% Beer!

Hmmm, the only other thing that I can think of is that my equip profile boil off rate is way too high. I did end up with about 4l more than anticipated, that won’t help.

That won't cause the FG to be high though. Your mash temp being too high is the culprit there. The extra maltiness is probably suppressing the hops. But the lower the FG the more thin and watery the beer generally is, and vice versa.

It was meant to be 68, in reality it would have been closer to 74-75.

Learn the lessons, move onto next batch.

If you mashed at 75 and have plastic tastes, you have a world of things to work out before worrying about shifting hop additions.

For new cubes, you can fill with boiling water, let cool, then taste the water. If it tastes like plastic, repeat the process until it doesn't.
Make sure all hoses are food grade silicon, not pvc or similar.

For mash temp, invest in a good thermometer and a couple of spares. Check all in boiling, near freezing and somewhere in mash temp range and see if there's any discrepancy.

And I would also question the fermentation too. Was your temp 6C higher there too, fermenting in high 20's?

And I would also question the fermentation too. Was your temp 6C higher there too, fermenting in high 20's?

Nope, it was under temp control at a steady 18.5, took off like a rocket but was pretty much steady at 1.026 after a week. I pitched more yeast and raised to 21 to try and bring it down a few points but nothing doing.

Latest posts

Back