Nice simple kit beer, trying to build up stock

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just done a smaller brew. Used a Tooheys lager can, boil in 19L pot down to ~15L and add hops.
It's a bit like a toucan but smaller.
Also added 1/2 jar of honey (dad keeps bees) and used Galena hops.
Tried reculturing LCPA yeast but added 1/2 of the packet yeast to be sure.

I tried to do just that when I was rushed for time and i'll tell you, if you brew AG your kit "keg fillers" will just dissapoint. Personally, when I need kegs filled fast I go and get a FWK from a LHBS and some liquid yeast in the relevant style. If you can dry hop also you can get a good drop, but not quite as flavour intense as you might want. I find that FWK also need either time in the keg to clear or a good filtering.........my 2c.

OP, why not upgrade your setup to allow a double batch for a BIAB?
Brew time for a double batch is about 30-40 mins longer than a single AG (for me anyway) but I get 46L out, which is 2x18 and almost 1x9L keg too.

I know you said you are looking for a quick brew to knock up, but your setup only allows a single ferment at one time. So if you no chill and brew only 1 double per month, you will get 1 brewday a month an 2x AG batches out in a month. Assuming 2x2week fermentation periods.

I think that this K&K venture may be false time economy. You really need a bigger fermentation capability to stock up.

Note with a 80L pot I can possibly knock up a triple batch over OG to post dilute in the fermenter. That is even better time economy than a standard double. Both options will offer a superior end product to a K&K approach (assuming that i don't balls up the fermentation / sanitation etc).

Alternatively, get a 50L BM :p

This is my 2c

Edit: hope this doesn't come across as elitest in anyway, I was a K&K'er once.

Cheers,
D80

I couldn't agree more, but I just can't do it at the moment. This will hopefully just be a short term solution until I have enough $$$ (and room in the garage, couldn't swing a cat in there ATM) to upgrade or add to my gear.

OK,
I would go the Twocan route then (if no FWK available).

My few Twocans worked out pretty well.

Cheers,
D80

You could go with 1.5 kg DME + 500g Dry wheat extract + 250g dextrose. Steep some spec grains and add yeast and hops of choice or whatever you have in stock.

You still retain a bit of control over the brew, rather than use pre hopped cans.

Try a can of "Thomas Coopers Heritage Lager" plus a can of "Coopers Light Malt Extract". Its no AG, but makes a nice simple easy drinking "lager". Very quick to make, I made a bunch before AG and was always very happy with the result.

I'm with BDD on this one wbosher.
I am a kits/extract brewer, leaning more towards full extract now anyway. I have also been using spec grains recently, happy with the results of that so far.
Kits are very good but you have alot more control of your bittering when you just use extract and at the very least a half hour boil.
The whole brew would be done in an hour or so.

I have never tried a toucan but mates have and I have drunk many of them, they were great !

Shame you cant get FWK's, I use them every now and then, quickest one took me 9 mins !
Tip it in, add some water (if needed ) add yeast...done.

Anyway mate, good luck finding your keg filler !

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I'm also re-familiarising (is that a word?) with Ians spreadsheet. :)

Will almost certainly do some of these, especially keen to have a crack at the stout :)

Also, just come up with an English Best Bitter (love pommy bitters and pale ales :icon_drool2: ) using the spreadsheet, sound ok?

Coopers English Bitter
Light DME 1kg
Medium Crystal 200g
Styian Goldings

Steep crystal for 20 minutes @ about 68C in 2L water
Remove crystal, bring to boil
Add about 200g of light DME, and boil 20g of Styian Goldings for 15 minutes

Chuck everything into fermenter to 23L, add yeast blah,blah

What do you reckon?

Latest posts

Back