New White Labs Yeast Strains

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where's the best and most reliable place to order the Whitelabs from? I've been using Wyeast, Fermentis, Notto etc from Ross but don't have a 'channel' yet for Whitelabs - I take it there's a site somewhere with shopping cart, Visa etc etc? I would love to try the Burton Ale :icon_cheers:

Burton is a great bitter yeast, very complex. Quite a few places do mail order WLP yeasts. Dave's Home Brew and ESB would be the two I would consider. I was speaking to Dave a while back though and he said he is reluctant to sent yeast by mail as liquid yeasts should always be kept cold etc. But he said he will do it is the customer really wants it. I think he packs them with an ice brick in that case.

ESB sounds the go, I'll be in Sydney early Feb and might get a couple popped into overnight and sent to the Sydney Rellies and nurse them in my esky home to QLD. :)
Edit: whoah, I see Dave's is in N. Sydney, should be able to pick some up in person as we're staying at Beacon Hill near Warringah Mall and I vaguely know my way around Chatswood, Crows Nest, N. Sydney etc. As long as I can get back on Mona Vale road I'm sweet.
Thanks for the advice.

Where's the best and most reliable place to order the Whitelabs from? I've been using Wyeast, Fermentis, Notto etc from Ross but don't have a 'channel' yet for Whitelabs - I take it there's a site somewhere with shopping cart, Visa etc etc? I would love to try the Burton Ale :icon_cheers:
Bribie, you can't beat Brewers Choice for White Labs vials at $9.50 if ordered online, $11.50 if purchased in store I think. Don't know about delivery as I just pop into the one over at Enoggera.

Link

Bribie, you can't beat Brewers Choice for White Labs vials at $9.50 if ordered online, $11.50 if purchased in store I think. Don't know about delivery as I just pop into the one over at Enoggera.

Link

Ah, getting better by the minute! I hadn't even thought about LHBSs as we are a bit starved for them on the Northside.

Link

Kram,

Awesome link, thanks. Hadn't heard of Brewers Choice selling WLP for $9.50 online. Excellent value for excellent yeast.

Cheers.

Where's the best and most reliable place to order the Whitelabs from?
cheers:

I use Daves Home Brew @ Nth Sydney for my White Labs yeasts. Excellent service, great prices.
Just ordered a few vials of the WLP009 off him too.
Cheers
Gerard

I use Daves Home Brew @ Nth Sydney for my White Labs yeasts. Excellent service, great prices.
Just ordered a few vials of the WLP009 off him too.
Cheers
Gerard

Putting 2 & 2 together & getting 5........

Have you run out of ideas for beer at the brewery already buddy?
First you want the Coopers grain bills and now you're getting some Coopers Yeast!

I know, I know, I can bring my own beer ..............

Wadey,
Firing spitballs from afar....

Pete, I would have ordinarily thought brewing an Aussie Pale Ale with the Coopers yeast to be a bit "unoriginal" too, but having entered an Aussie Pale in a comp fermented with an English strain and basically the only negative comment I got was that it didn't have enough of the Coopers yeast character, it appears that WLP009 is the "be all and end all" in Aussie Ales. Sad but true, especially considering Coopers is just one of hundreds of Aussie pale ales that have appeared over the years.

All that said, I still don't quite understand why they bother selling WLP009 in Australia when we have Coopers Pale Ale in every bottlo in the country. Just reculture!

That's liquid gold you have there Pete! This was the first liquid yeast strain I ever used years and years ago, and have since never found anything that I've liked more. My next English Ale strain to try will be WLP005 I think. Heard good things.

Hey T.D., have you tried the Wyeast Ringwood strain yet?
I gave it a go last year and it is bloody brilliant in an English Bitter.
Leaves plenty of body and gives nice maltiness and great fruity esters.

C&B
TDA

Hey T.D., have you tried the Wyeast Ringwood strain yet?
I gave it a go last year and it is bloody brilliant in an English Bitter.
Leaves plenty of body and gives nice maltiness and great fruity esters.

C&B
TDA

G'day TDA,

I haven't tried Wyeast Ringwood myself. But I have tried WLP Burton Ale and I have a sneaking suspicion its the same strain. Warren sent me a bottle of a bitter done with Ringwood and it had an almost identical yeast character to the Burton Ale strain. I agree, great yeast for English ales. SOOO much more complex and "3-dimensional" than anything dry and even most liquid strains. Might have to give it another try this winter.

Putting 2 & 2 together & getting 5........

Have you run out of ideas for beer at the brewery already buddy?
First you want the Coopers grain bills and now you're getting some Coopers Yeast!

I know, I know, I can bring my own beer ..............

Wadey,
Firing spitballs from afar....

OK I'll bite
I could have just soaked the labels off some Coopers stubbies, but I only do that for comps!
009 is for some garage brews over summer. A few pales like the ND Pale & a clone of the Coopers Dark Ale (without sugar) 009 is a little temperature tolerant, so if we ever get a warm day down here it will help. I don't have a large chest freezer like some people because my wife wouldn't hire a ute!!!!!
Grain bill is for the Coopers Dark, as my can opener is broken & I missed the can opener bulk buy so I am stuck with mashing in after the kids go to bed.
As for bringing your own beer.......who invited you in the first place!!!!!!!
Cheers
Gerard

Oh & having seen slabs of Coopers sitting on loading docks & in warehouses throughout stinking hot summers, I wouldn't bother with making a starter from a stubby.

Grain bill is for the Coopers Dark, as my can opener is broken & I missed the can opener bulk buy so I am stuck with mashing in after the kids go to bed.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

OK I'll bite
As for bringing your own beer.......who invited you in the first place!!!!!!!
Cheers
Gerard

:)

No can opener? Could have punched a big hole in each end & let it run out!!
When you get stuck on these sorts of complex tasks, ring your local homebrew shop or ask on here for advice.

But seriously .....
If you really must do the mashing thing & after tea at that, make sure you weigh grain before you get tired.
Mashed after tea recently - never again. Finished at midnight.
First runnings colour was way off.
Deduced must have weighed 10% crystal instead of 10% munich !!
Don't know how. Some choc malt & revised hopping & yeast turned the APA into a Brown instead.

BTW: 700l chest freezer is RIP at the tip, you callous bugger.

Re: Comp entries. Don't forget to change the cap as well. Might help!

Rgds to the family,
Wad

Oh, I think were off topic a bit. Somebody help!

All that said, I still don't quite understand why they bother selling WLP009 in Australia when we have Coopers Pale Ale in every bottlo in the country. Just reculture!

Tim,

The WLP009 is not the same as the dregs found at the base of a Coopers Pale Ale. Try some, it's very different - more English in taste.

Gerard - No new can opener with the new upcoming bling? Are you considering BIAB? :chug:

Gerard - No new can opener with the new upcoming bling? Are you considering BIAB? :chug:

Not that deperate, but I was considering an apprentice greenkeepers job. Not too sure about the crocs on your course though!
Cheers
Gerard

The 2010 Platinum Strain availability has been posted by White Labs

Beers,
Doc

Jan/Feb:
WLP022 Essex Ale
WLP038 Manchester
WLP850 Copenhagen Lager

Mar/Apr:
WLP009 Australian Ale
WLP351 Bavarian Weizen