New White Labs Yeast Strains

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
Just reading the Platinum availability for 2009. There are a couple of new yeasts on offer.
The Yorkshire sounds interesting.

Beers,
Doc

WLP038 Manchester Ale Yeast

Top-fermenting strain that is traditionally good for top-cropping. Moderately flocculent with a clean, dry finish. Low ester profile, producing a highly balanced English-style beer.

Attenuation: 70-74%
Flocculation: M-H
Optimum Fermentation Temp: 65-70F
Alcohol Tolerance: M-H

WLP037 Yorkshire Ale Yeast

This yeast produces a beer that is malty, but well-balanced. Expect flavors that are toasty with malt-driven esters. Highly flocculent and good choice for English pale ales, English brown ales, and mild ales.

Attenuation: 68-72%
Flocculation: High
Optimum Fermentation Temp: 65-70F
Alcohol Tolerance: Med-High

The Yorkshire does look rather good.

Definitely to go in the 2009 to-do list.

Thanks for sharing the news!

Cheers - Fermented.

I would presume the Yorkshire would be as close as damn it to the Wyeast Yorkie? Would be interesting to compare.

The Yorkshire does look rather good.

Definitely to go in the 2009 to-do list.

Thanks for sharing the news!

Cheers - Fermented.

You'll have plenty of time to plan for them.

Manchester is not due till July/ August
Yorkshire even later, in Sept/ October

Pete

PS Australian & Essex strains are available NOW

Hey Doc, you didn't happen to notice if Southwold Ale was on the list did you? My favourite yeast of all time! :wub:

Hey Doc, you didn't happen to notice if Southwold Ale was on the list did you? My favourite yeast of all time! :wub:

Sorry T.D. Not on the list.

Jan/Feb: WLP009 Australian Ale, WLP022 Essex Ale, WLP036 Dusseldorf Alt

Mar/Apr: WLP039 Nottingham Ale, WLP540 Abbey IV Ale, WLP940 Mexican Lager

May/June: WLP026 Premium Bitter, WLP410 Belgian Wit II, WLP510 Belgian Bastogne

July/Aug: NEW! WLP038 Manchester, WLP351 Bavarian Weizen, WLP566 Saison II

Sept/Oct: NEW! WLP037 Yorkshire Square Ale, WLP515 Antwerp Ale, WLP885 Zurich Lager

Nov/Dec: WLP006 Bedford British, WLP072 French Ale, NEW! WLP545 Belgian Strong

Doc

You'll have plenty of time to plan for them.

Manchester is not due till July/ August
Yorkshire even later, in Sept/ October

Pete

Pete,

Where is the 009 Australian available? I just called Mel at ESB and he told me it was discontinued.

Cheers.

Pete,

Where is the 009 Australian available? I just called Mel at ESB and he told me it was discontinued.

Cheers.

G'day matey,
Oh dear.
Did you tell him it was on the whitelabs website as a Platinum release for Jan & Feb?
It's true that 009 was discontinued some time ago and needed a large order for it to be pulled from the bank.
He's probably just going off memory.
I just tried calling to sort it for you, but they have shut for the day.
Will have a go tomorrow, as I want some Essex.

Pete
Hoping 'mum to be' is coping with the heat.

Thanks Pete, hear from you tomorrow.

Upcoming mum is doing well, around 10 weeks to go. Taking her to a nice island in the Whitsundays for a few days in a couple of weeks. Hopefully she is interested in a spa or something so I can sneak out fishing for the day :p

Cheers.

The Essex Yeast has a Krausen a foot high great top cropper seem to remember I made so many batches with that yeast it was so easy to pinch some for the next batch

Pumpy :)

Hey Pete, can you post back here if ESB are going to get some Aussie Ale Yeast. Def want to give this one a go

Kabooby :)

I've got some here kabooby give us a call

Franko

Thats right. I forgot about that.

How was the last 4 weeks for you. I bet they were dry and the longest 4 weeks you have had for a while

Kabooby :p

Thats right. I forgot about that.

How was the last 4 weeks for you. I bet they were dry and the longest 4 weeks you have had for a while

Kabooby :p

Not wrong there,but I'm back

Found this in the back of the fridge.....
IMG_1232.jpg

Time for another 'Show your interest' type thread T.D.? :)
Pete

Duff & Kabooby,
Did not get Mel, but spoke to Richard this morning.
Faxed him the 2009 Platinum range & confirmed his order forms have them on it.

None of the current Platinums are in stock.
According to Richard, he will only order Platinums on customer request.
(This is different to in the past, where stock was kept.)

He is happy to take your order.
As for ETA, he is expecting to place the next Whitelabs order around late January.

Suggest you speak to Richard.
Pete

Dave @ Nth Sydney has a pretty quick turn around on White Labs orders. I hope the WLP009 still gets a run. Interested in this new HP strain too, could get a run in my shed.
James

Found this in the back of the fridge.....
View attachment 23692

Time for another 'Show your interest' type thread T.D.? :)
Pete

That's liquid gold you have there Pete! This was the first liquid yeast strain I ever used years and years ago, and have since never found anything that I've liked more. My next English Ale strain to try will be WLP005 I think. Heard good things.

By the way, I read on one of those WLP-Wyeast comparison tables that Wyeast British Ale II is the same strain as Southwold. But I tried it and it was clearly not the same strain. It was nice but the attenuation was way too high and had less body as a result.

The only problem I had with Southwold was that it stalled a couple of times at 1.020 during winter in some cold snaps.

Back