New Toy Drum Smoker

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks wolfy - I've found similar but I'm trying to get something that has a thread on it so it can be permamently attached to the side (similar to the mashmaster temp probes). It seems as soon as a thread is added, the price gets up near $70. Was hoping for something under $20.

I'll keep looking

Gave it a test run today whilst cleaning the shed. Marinated some pork spare ribs in a really simple honey-soy marinade and cooked them for about 2 and a half hours. Really happy with the result - just wish I put more on!

are people soncerned abotu using brass fittings for the intakes, or should aI not sorry about it?

Also on the topic of the paint on the inside, of all the weird and wonderful diseases I have seen, most seem to be in people who have worked in Asian dye and pain manufacturing/printing,

I have a free weber lid in perth if you want it pm me

Will a single 2" ball valve in the bottom do for air flow?

If anyone is looking at building one of these... I was going to build a second one but ive since decided against, therefore;

I have a spare food grade 44 gal drum, enough expanded metal for a fire basket and enough steel strap for the intakes. Will part for a donation, pick-up from Sydney inner-west. pm me if interested.

:)

smoking crew, what do you think of these off ebay - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Gas-Smoker-Oven-Fis...=item1e5f3fcbea

Ive PM'd TB but he's not to sure, says maybe the lowest setting heat (150c) i think isnt low enough.....

i realise its just a gas burner in a box but im way to retarded to make anyhting else.

recommend me something else that just requires me to cook?

The guyts who sells these runs the austrlaian bbq asoc, and is a gun bbqer, I believe they are pretty good

I would say that 150c is way too high if you are planning on smoking low and slow (ribs, pulled pork etc).

Make a UDS!

mct. if you need to use a welder give me a yell

smoking crew, what do you think of these off ebay - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Gas-Smoker-Oven-Fis...=item1e5f3fcbea

Ive PM'd TB but he's not to sure, says maybe the lowest setting heat (150c) i think isnt low enough.....

i realise its just a gas burner in a box but im way to retarded to make anyhting else.

recommend me something else that just requires me to cook?

Isnt quite low enough, I usually smoke at 220F to 240F (105C to 115C)

But I see no reason why you cant put a fire basket full of BBQ brickets where the gas burner is and use it just like a Weber Smokey Mountain. Then just control the temperature by the amount of air you let in via the intake/exhaust vents.

Well I sourced a spare 44 and picked up an old Weber on ebay.

Just need to scrounge up some wood to burn out the paint inside the drum and hit up the big green shed for some fittings and paint.

I was mightily impressed with Barl's smoker at the Case swap at Lake Conjola yesterday, and while picking up some miso paste and Pocky sticks at the local asian supermarket saw a 28 cm steamer for $59 and couldn't resist.

The steamer has two layers and is easily big enough for a whole trout or flattie

Quick trip to bunnings for a thermometer and some hickory chips, 20 mins with a drill and after soaking the chips for 30 minutes I'm away.

smoker1.jpg
smoker2.jpg

First batch are almonds. Mmmm smoked almonds.

cheers

Grant

Latest posts

Back