New Toy Drum Smoker

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
works well, have a roast in it at the moment that will be in there for four hours. currently sitting at 90 degrees.

heres the last effort
before
14032011098.jpg

and after
14032011100.jpg

14032011099.jpg

14032011101.jpg

Hey guys, looking for a quick response , how good does the inside need to be. I had a very hot fire in the drum, now I have hit it quick flap disc on a grinder, is this enough or do I need to go gat to pure metal??

Cheers

As long as the plastic lining is gone, it'll be fine.
Do a cook on it real soon though, it'll rust quick. Cooking will season it, just spray with oil before hand.

As long as the plastic lining is gone, it'll be fine.
Do a cook on it real soon though, it'll rust quick. Cooking will season it, just spray with oil before hand.

cool thanks for the reply, mine didn't have any plastic lining it was used for pva glue and was only painted.

by the way if anyone want to purchase drums let me know :D

hey guys how far from the top of the drum do you have the grilling rack, i read earlier someone said 42inches from the coal but the drum is only 33.5 inches high

I have a unused uds for sale, I just finished making it when I got a unreal deal on a offset smoker so I no longer need it. Im only trying to recoupe my cost so pm me if your interested. Im in campbelltown sydney, the uds is painted in potbelly black has stainless steel eye bolts for the grill supports and a weber lid. I will also give the buyer the rest of the weber so its sort of a 2 for 1 deal. I dont have any photos at the moment but will try and post some soon, was thinking around the $150 mark for both the weber and the uds but am open to offers

cheers :icon_chickcheers:

Been a few years since Ive been on AHB, good to see the cookin is still going on

are these the sort of smokers you use for salami etc, by the way the food looks yum.

keezawitch, salami is generally cold smoked so you would just have to make an external fire box and duct the smoke into the drum, you can also do bacon, jerky and other charcuterie.

Here are some pics from my UDS-build, it's on the extreme end of the ugly scale as long as it works well that's what matters. :)

44 gallon drum from Ebay (think it was $10 or $20), burned it out last summer at my sister's place.

Wire-brush-thing on the drill cleaned out any remaining paint and the rust:
UDS5.jpg

I couldn't find any of the expanded mesh the American's use so I cut an old BBQ grill plate in half:
UDS4.jpg

... wired it to the ash-tray from an old Webber, and used an old BBQ-wok-thing as the ash-tray:
UDS2.jpg

Only hardware needed other than the drum and trays/lids recycled from old Webbers.
Seems the neighbors around here dont like/keep their Webber-kettles, so I've managed to recycle a few now.
UDS6.jpg

Air-intake holes easily cut with the TCT hole-saw:
UDS9.jpg

There is a good build thread on the BBQ Brethren website here, has suggested dimensions and hardware and other options.

Recycled Webber racks mounted on SS bolts:
UDS10.jpg

Air intake holes covered/adjusted via magnets from the fridge:
UDS14.jpg

... like so:
UDS15.jpg

Finished it looks like this, note how the the protective oxide layer nicely matches the colour of the lid:
UDS16.jpg

Firebox filled and ready to go:
UDS11.jpg

225degF target temp, reached and held:
UDS17.jpg

And the traditional inaugural fatty:
fatty1.jpg

fatty2.jpg

you mean 225 c its nearly 450f looking at that pic
Doh! ... That'd probably be why it was a bit burned and looked a bit dry when I checked it.
So much for the trial-run to work out how much fuel it uses etc. ;)

sometimes your the windscreen, sometime your the bug.
it happens mate.
have done similar things dont worry

sometimes your the windscreen, sometime your the bug.
it happens mate.
have done similar things dont worry
And I did it today with $1.66 of sausage meat and not tomorrow with 4kg of pork and ribs. ;)

nice must see pics of that one. im doing sausages and chicken thighs tomorrow. considering draining the chicken from the brine, rubbing it tonight and leaving in the fridge to form a crust.

Latest posts

Back