New to the Forum - all grain brewer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

good4whatAlesU

Reaction score
Hi Guys
New to the forum - hoping to share and learn some new skills and meet fellow brewers.
I've been all grain brewing for about a year - have a modified esky as a mash tun and a crab pot to boil.

Been force carving into 10 litre kegs.. Only just starting to work it out and brew some drinkable batches (early stuff was woeful!).

Good to share thoughts with like minded folk.. thanks for letting me sign up.

Welcome.

May I ask what the issues were with the woeful batches? Sanitation issues?

Ducatiboy - For some reason your signature picture isn't working anymore. Thank you!

Ahh temperature control - fermented too hot and pumped out some nasty alcohol compounds.
Now i try and keep it below 20c using some ice bricks in a water bath. North Coast in summer too hot for brewing without temp control.

Plus i don't have a wort chiller - so needed to learn patience before pitching.. Just cool the wort now running cold water in the sink.

good4whatAlesU said:
? sounds interesting, how does it work
Heaps of info out there but basically run off wort via tap and hose or siphon into a water container made from hdpe. Wort should be 80 or above.
Squeeze out air, tighten lid and allow to cool overnight (if done properly can be stored short or long term).

When ready to ferment, either transfer to vessel of choice and oxygenate or add yeast and oxygen straight to water vessel (known as 'cube') and ferment in that, lid on but slightly loose.

The caveat is that later hop additions in hoppy beers will be different when following recipes that have been chilled. Easy enough to adjust to suit your palate should you need to. I design my own recipes so I'm not troubled.

No chill has many advantages and is practiced by many brewers

The only down side, as manticle says, is late hop additions, but this can be easily overcome

I'd certainly recommend it over sink chill.
If you find chilling suits better (and many do) set up a good system.

Have done sinks, would not do again by choice.

good4whatAlesU said:
Thanks glad to be here.

Ballina.
Ewwww Ballina :icon_vomit: (I grew up there)
Welcome to the forums mate, the brew shop in Lismore is stocking grain from what I hear so they should be a good local-ish source for you
If you get down to Grafton, hit up Stu and the Grafton Brewmasters, they're a great group of guys and very knowledgeable

sp0rk said:
If you get down to Grafton, hit up Stu and the Grafton Brewmasters, they're a great group of guys and very knowledgeable
We will even let him keep his underpants for the first meeting :lol:

Ha! thanks guys. Good advice there, I'll look into it. Next planned step was to buy myself some copper coil and make a wort chiller.. But I'll have a look at the other methods. I agree sink chilling sucks eggs big time. I have a plastic drum using as a secondary fermenter already.
Checked out Lismore bought some yeast very handy :) must get in touch with the Grafton brewers too.

Lots to learn, lots to do, lots to brew.

Don't bother with a secondary fermenter (only needed in a few select cases, or for bulk priming), it's just a chance for oxidation and infection unless done VERY carefully

good4whatAlesU said:
:) must get in touch with the Grafton brewers too.

Lots to learn, lots to do, lots to brew.
Looks like we are in the throws of organising another brew meet soonish, so I will keep you in the loop.

Its usually an overnight thing with food, fire, beer, music, beer, food, music, beer food, music and some brewing thrown in when we think about it and get around to it :D

Latest posts

Back