New to the Forum - all grain brewer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to get back up there for a brew meeting, but with horse breeding season coming on, work will be hectic with no approved leave

Yep. Horse season means you have to go and help put the cock in the mare your going to be busy :)

Ahem... this group sounds a little different!

Yeah spOrk had it on the trub first couple batches .. but picked up a couple weird flavours so I've gone to secondary - seems to clean it up a bit. Maybe if i had a conical to minimise contact.. but I've got a cheap ass plastic with large floor area - means big contact with the dead yeast.
I'm pretty pedantic about the sanitary so should be okay there fingers crossed.

good4whatAlesU said:
We are all good, we tend to "take the piss" out of each other a lot :D

good4whatAlesU said:

Yeah spOrk had it on the trub first couple batches .. but picked up a couple weird flavours so I've gone to secondary - seems to clean it up a bit. Maybe if i had a conical to minimise contact.. but I've got a cheap ass plastic with large floor area - means big contact with the dead yeast.
I'm pretty pedantic about the sanitary so should be okay there fingers crossed.
If you're fermenting for less than a month, I HIGHLY doubt you've got a discernable amount of yeast autolysis
I'd point the finger more at yeast health, oxygenation, temp swings or infection
I ferment in quite wide fermenters and don't have any problems with the big surface area or with yeast autolysis
But horses for courses, as they say

Okay thanks, i might revisit the single fermentation and see how it goes. It's hard to go back to it though when things are working well now, but I'm willing to give it a second go.

good4whatAlesU said:
Okay thanks, i might revisit the single fermentation and see how it goes. It's hard to go back to it though when things are working well now, but I'm willing to give it a second go.
Don't worry about building a copper chiller (just no chill for now) or anything other than fermentation. Go get a second hand freezer and a temp controller, so you can control your ferments. Then go find a yeast pitching calculator and use that for your next batches. Will make a far bigger impact on your beer.

Thanks GalBrew - yes sound advice. I've just got to find the space to put it ... I've already got one extra fridge to keep the drinking keg cold.

Latest posts

Back