New To Home Brew/new To The Forum

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawesy666

Reaction score
hey all. new to the forum and also new to home brew. i tried to make a batch but all but 4 bottles exploded. i opened one and it was like drinking coke, really fizzy :huh: and not real good.

well now im ready for round 2, and thats why i am here. id like any hints or tips you can give me and recommendations on what brands i should go for (im a VB drinker if anyone knows a similar recipe)

where should i start? :)

Welcome to the forums Josh,

Check out the 'New to Brewing' section here: Linky

Sounds like either you bottled your beer too early, or are using too much sugar when you bottle.

Have a read of the links above then come back with any specific Questions. Lots of good reading on this site, the search function is also handy.

Cheers!

hey all. new to the forum and also new to home brew. i tried to make a batch but all but 4 bottles exploded. i opened one and it was like drinking coke, really fizzy :huh: and not real good.

well now im ready for round 2, and thats why i am here. id like any hints or tips you can give me and recommendations on what brands i should go for (im a VB drinker if anyone knows a similar recipe)

where should i start? :)
Welcome aboard Josh,
Sorry, just a quick answer right now.
How long did you let it brew for? Did you take hydrometer readings?
How did you carb up those bottles? What size were they, and how much sugar did you add?

I'd say you either bottled it too early, it was either overcarbed (really fizzy), or infected (not real good).

Can't help out with a VB Recipe, but if you stick to trying the coopers draught/lager/real ale kits, you should be able to make something like it. Step away from the sugar, and at least use those brew enhancer 1&2 packs.

Cheers
Pete

Hey Josh,

As others have said you might have bottled early or too much priming sugar for the bottle size. Plenty of good info on here especially the ones that say throw away the instructions that come with the kits.

Ferment with a stable temp, let it finish completely and leave it for a few more days to settle. If you can bulk prime then that can help remove the over gassing issue which comes from a bit too much sugar in the scoop going into each bottle. Also means no error in putting too much because the bottle is smaller than you thought. Have a few overcarbed 330ml bottles because I used the scoop designed for 375ml.

Go for a simple Coopers lager with brew enhancer 2, make it to about 20L and you'll have a nice enough drink. Fermented at 18C for about a week. Leave longer if you can and then into the bottle for a month or two. Plenty of good recipes in the K&K section.

I would stay away from trying to (closely) replicate commercial beers while you're starting out. It can be surprising difficult.

Coopers have an excellent range that you can pick up from the super market. As mentioned above the Coopers Lager and "Brew Enhancer 2", then only filling to 20 litres would be a pretty good start. Using that same recipe I've enjoyed the Coopers Pale Ale and Coopers Cerveza.

Longer in the fermenter and longer in the bottle will help just about any brew, don't get too excited to bottle. I usually don't bother checking my beer until it's been in the fermenter for 2 weeks.

For you first few, just relax and get used to the process. And make sure everything gets sanitised !!!!!!!!

tried to make a batch but all but 4 bottles exploded.

Maybe get some Coopers PET bottles while you get use to it.. this way you dont get glass everywhere..

PETS15Full.jpg

good luck!!

Longer in the fermenter and longer in the bottle will help just about any brew, don't get too excited to bottle. I usually don't bother checking my beer until it's been in the fermenter for 2 weeks.

Beer sure does age well in the bottle. But seriously you don't even check your beer is ready for 2 weeks?

With nice beer on tap I can easily go through 19 litres a week.

i will have a look through "new to brewing" section. im suprised at how many replys i got in such a short time. thanks guys.

the batch i made i left for just over a week, cant remember what the readings were, and i used old school vb long neck bottles, not sure really of what size they are, but i will find out before the next lot i try. i kind of guessed when it got to the sugar so thats probably where i went wrong.

does using the PET bottles do anything to the taste of the beer?

Pay day tomorow so i will go and look at some kits :)

i will have a look through "new to brewing" section. im suprised at how many replys i got in such a short time. thanks guys.

the batch i made i left for just over a week, cant remember what the readings were, and i used old school vb long neck bottles, not sure really of what size they are, but i will find out before the next lot i try. i kind of guessed when it got to the sugar so thats probably where i went wrong.

PET are fine but for some reason I think you can't leave beer in there for more than 18months (dont know who would in the first place).. after that i think the plastic goes a bit south..

Correct me if Im wrong guys..

Providing you're only using 375ml stubbies and 750ml longnecks, you can't go wrong with the carbonation drops from the supermarket.
1 per stubbie, 2 per longneck. Nice and easy.

Beer sure does age well in the bottle. But seriously you don't even check your beer is ready for 2 weeks?

Multiple fermenters my son. And I probably don't drink near that much, try to keep things to a long neck a night these days.

me neither,i usually leave in fermenter for 18days, not much point checking before then.. i did however check my frist partial 2day after 11 days just cos i couldnt help myself but under normal circumstances i wont do the first check until i intend to keg ie the 18th day, most times its ready. did have one i had to leave for like 25 days or so but i still didnt gravity it cos it was still obviously fermenting

cheers
matt

me neither,i usually leave in fermenter for 18days, not much point checking before then.. i did however check my frist partial 2day after 11 days just cos i couldnt help myself but under normal circumstances i wont do the first check until i intend to keg ie the 18th day, most times its ready. did have one i had to leave for like 25 days or so but i still didnt gravity it cos it was still obviously fermenting

cheers
matt
Sunset...how do you know it was still fermenting ? Thru the Airlock ???
Mate...don't even go there...IT IS AN AIRLOCK...NOT A BLOODY MY BEER IS/ISN'T FERMENTING INDICATOR.....
Use your hydrometer......
Sorry for the caps...but it really frustrates me....

Sunset...how do you know it was still fermenting ? Thru the Airlock ???
Mate...don't even go there...IT IS AN AIRLOCK...NOT A BLOODY MY BEER IS/ISN'T FERMENTING INDICATOR.....
Use your hydrometer......
Sorry for the caps...but it really frustrates me....

umm, because i knew i had more "sugars" in that particular brew than the others i'd brewed so my theory told me it would take alittle longer. and a few extra days will not affect my brew, and THAT IS HOW I LIKE IT. and over 100 or so brews i have become familiar with how "I" like my brews to ferment. and FERGE i do use my hydrometer, when I'M ready to use it, why the fk would i waste my time and beer hydro testing a beer when a quick rule of thumb tells me it is no where near ready. thanks for the ADVICE mate,but i wasnt asking.
so mate, i'm TERRIBLY SORRY if my fermenting technique "frustrates" you so, 'dont even go there'

CHEERS
matt

ps. NOT sorry for using capitals

umm, because i knew i had more "sugars" in that particular brew than the others i'd brewed so my theory told me it would take alittle longer. and a few extra days will not affect my brew, and THAT IS HOW I LIKE IT. and over 100 or so brews i have become familiar with how "I" like my brews to ferment. and FERGE i do use my hydrometer, when I'M ready to use it, why the fk would i waste my time and beer hydro testing a beer when a quick rule of thumb tells me it is no where near ready. thanks for the ADVICE mate,but i wasnt asking.
so mate, i'm TERRIBLY SORRY if my fermenting technique "frustrates" you so, 'dont even go there'

CHEERS
matt

calm down guys.. i think he was just saying that the airlock is not a good indicator for fermentation (if thats what you were referring to when you said "it was still obviously fermenting."

the reasons being A. its not a good indicator for the ferment starting as the seals leak, and B. you will get a lot of dissolved CO2 that will take a long time to leave (via the air lock) making it look like its still fermenting.

if your beer takes 18 days to finish (and its an ale) you need to pitch more yeast, i make a large starter (as mentioned in "designing great beers" home brewers pitch about 1\10th to 1\100th the ratio of yeast to wort the big brewers do) of about 1-2 ltrs that gives me about 10X the original yeast packet my beer takes about 5 days to finish

calm down guys.. i think he was just saying that the airlock is not a good indicator for fermentation (if thats what you were referring to when you said "it was still obviously fermenting."

the reasons being A. its not a good indicator for the ferment starting as the seals leak, and B. you will get a lot of dissolved CO2 that will take a long time to leave (via the air lock) making it look like its still fermenting.

if your beer takes 18 days to finish (and its an ale) you need to pitch more yeast, i make a large starter (as mentioned in "designing great beers" home brewers pitch about 1\10th to 1\100th the ratio of yeast to wort the big brewers do) of about 1-2 ltrs that gives me about 10X the original yeast packet my beer takes about 5 days to finish

yes, its an ale. i didnt ask ferge about my airlock and how it works. my yeast pitch qty works for me. and my 18 day window works for me as well. not at all dissimilar for those who rack to a secondary

cheers
matt

especially considering this poor bloke lost all but 4 bottles, maybe a little extra time in the fermenter wont hurt. either that or tone down the carb sugars.
op, sorry for drifting off. all the best with ur brewing

cheers
matt

and i have no necessity to be condescended to by someone who has never laid eyes on my brewing technique

cheers
matt

CHEERS
matt

There is alot to learn from taking regular hydro samples and having a taste at each stage. you will pick up heaps of flavour changes and be able to tell where your brew is at. I also use this method when brewing at different temps or using different yeasts. When using a differant yeast I will generally taste the changes from day 2 to end of ferment. When changing ferment temps I will taste samples on a daily basis and compare from notes taken at different temps for a similar brew. I took this on board from advice learnt on this forum, I listened to good advice tried it and it has helped me develop better brewing techniques but that is me.

Cheers

There is alot to learn from taking regular hydro samples and having a taste at each stage. you will pick up heaps of flavour changes and be able to tell where your brew is at. I also use this method when brewing at different temps or using different yeasts. When using a differant yeast I will generally taste the changes from day 2 to end of ferment. When changing ferment temps I will taste samples on a daily basis and compare from notes taken at different temps for a similar brew. I took this on board from advice learnt on this forum, I listened to good advice tried it and it has helped me develop better brewing techniques but that is me.

Cheers

i agree, and by doing that i know i am wasting my time, with my brews, pissing around with hydro samples until the brew is roughly at its end. no one will disagree that when u change any variable that the constants will alter. my variables for my regular brews are minimal, and the constants (at least for my regulars are that) constant - generally speaking. this guy in the op is brewing his second batch, overcomplication is not necessary.

again mate(op'er), sorry for meatheads bashing their horns over bull that doesnt affect ur next brew

cheers
matt

Latest posts

Back