new kegerator build: which taps?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lael

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Finally tired of bottling. Which taps would you recommend using on a kegerator build? Looking for quality and good pricing. I can buy in USA if it is cheaper (no postage to Aus).

Thanks!

Perlick flow control. They allow you to NOT have the spagetti mess that balancing can require.

Perlick. Full Stainless versions. Personally not so keen on the flow control. I have 1 in my setup and it pours the worst out of the three.

I find flow control taps too restricted, but then I tried them on my keg fridge where the normal tap pours well already.

Perlick stainless with good quality stainless shafts. I didnt go flow control and am more than happy with the pour. If you have the extra $20-30 per tap to spend then go for it.
No need to go offshore with exchange rates as they are you will only be saving a couple of bucks at most so best to keep it in Oz and get quicker delivery. Shop around the site sponsors- I ended up going with Cheeky Peak (no affiliation etc etc.).

I am using Andale Floryte taps, pretty awesome taps. Can be a bit pricey but because they are pub taps you can usually find them for cheap on gumtree.

vooharmy said:
I am using Andale Floryte taps, pretty awesome taps. Can be a bit pricey but because they are pub taps you can usually find them for cheap on gumtree.
Andale are only marginally more expensive than Perlick, brand new, to be honest.

I've had Brumby, Andale Florytes & am now running 4 x Perlick 650ss taps.
The Flortyes are a great tap, much better quality than the Perlicks but it can be a bitch to get your system balanced & you will need to run 4m + of beer line for each tap depending on carb level & fridge temp. They do splutter or spit when first pouring but there's ways around that. It might not be a big issue for you but it annoyed me a little. I hated pouring that first beer when someone come round to taste my beer & usually end up with half a glass of foam even though my system was pretty well balanced. These taps are ideal in a pub situation because they are getting poured from quite frequently but not as frequent at home level. The slight drop in quality from the Florytes to the Perlicks is worth it for me. No line balancing issues, short beer lines regardless of what carb level or fridge temp & a perfect pour every single time with the flow control. The Perlick tap handles are easy to swap out for branding or putting on your own compared to the Flortyes which are nothing but a bitch to change out. I wouldn't say that the pour is any better with either one but the Perlick's take the win simply for the flow control feature.

If I was setting up a new kegerator, I'd use Perlick 650SS flow control taps.

I have 4x 525SS on my current keg fridge, with additional flow-controllers.

01 perlicks w flow controllers.jpg

Thanks for all the helpful responses.
Has anyone got experience of micromatic flow control vs the 650SS?

Depends if you are making a collar or mounting a font.

There are a lot of good options, but mainly depends on the type of mount (snaplock/screw or shank mount).

All will look good and you may not be happy with your first choice after a while.

Then there's new and second-hand options. I went with pre-loved, and font mounted (*edit) Florytes. Easy to buy overhaul kits*
Flo.jpg

I have the older Perlick flow controls, and whilst I like them - the one thing that gives me the shits is when guests use them.
You always need to ride the flow control on my taps, particularly on that first pour, and if the person who's pouring doesn't know how to use flow control - then they invariably end up with half a glass of foam.

First pour on my perlick flow control taps has a lot more head because the tap is warmer than the inside of the keezer. If I pour half a glass the tap is then cold and I barely touch the flow lever at all after that.

Line length is about 1.2m, I'm sure I could go with alot less.

Les the Weizguy said:
Depends if you are making a collar or mounting a font.

There are a lot of good options, but mainly depends on the type of mount (snaplock/screw or shank mount).

All will look good and you may not be happy with your first choice after a while.

Then there's new and second-hand options. I went with pre-loved, and font mounted (*edit) Florytes. Easy to buy overhaul kits*
attachicon.gif
Flo.jpg
As far as the mounts go - how much difference does it make to the type of taps to buy? Are the screw threads on the back of most taps all the same size? Is there an easy conversion to snaplock fittings if that is desirable at some point?
If I go with a fridge / chest freezer - what is the difference between the length of shanks to get?

I like the idea of flow control and from a bit of reading it looks like the RotoV taps get rave reviews. More $$$$ - so very curious how they compare to perlick 650SS - especially given Spiesy's comment above.
Cellis are out as I want forward sealing (are the RotoV's forward sealing?).

I went with 650ss flows Perlick on my keezer $80 each landed here but dollars worse now
I have found first pour is perfect no wastage at all
Rode the flow for a few kegs but now once set no worries
Some beers have to set to slow pour but if it comes out right cant complain
Havent had any other taps so cant comment there but have a annadale with Emu Bitter handle I'de like to use

Back