New keg system - First pour smells bad every time?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Incorrect flow control usage may potentially account for the smell for instances of beer running through the faucet, and it's certainly something to be aware of, but it does not account for acidic solutions such as StarSan, which would be unaffected by conditions which favor beer spoilage. The fact that the same smell is reportedly present for beer, soda water, and StarSan reinforces the conclusion that the issue is due to a chemical reaction between acidic solutions and the faucet itself.

Edit: Still waiting for word back from Perlick (have received a replay but there appears to be a miscommunication as to the faucet in question)

I had some time over the weekend to experiment further in order to identify which component of the faucet was at fault, and whether the hypothesis that acidity being the catalyst was correct. I placed each separate piece of the faucet into its own container filled with a StarSan solution measured via a calibrated Omega PHH-7011 to a pH of 2.45. After 5 minutes I removed each piece and smelled them individually to try and detect if any emitted a rotten egg smell. All parts except one failed to emit the odor. Item 5A, Part No. 68726, "Handle Leaver" is the culprit; shown in red in the following image, it reeks of rotten eggs. Subsequent tests via dipping in StarSan caused the aroma of rotting eggs to become present in as little as 10 seconds.

rRPrw5W.jpg

In order to test the acidity hypothesis I prepared three solutions: A sample of tap water treated with Phosphoric acid to a pH of 2.51, and sample of tap water treated with Lactic Acid to a pH of 2.57, and a sample of ordinary bottled Coke, with a pH of 2.37. Having three 650SS faucets, I placed one of the Handle Leaver's of each faucet into each of the three solutions, leaving them to soak for around 4 hours. So far the Coke and Phosphoric solution emit no noticeable aroma. The Lactic acid sample does smell faintly sulphuric. This evidence suggest that the hypothesis that all acidic solutions produce the rotten egg aroma is actually false. But that some active ingredient in StarSan (possible the surfactant Dodecylbenzenesulfonic Acid), or Lactic Acid (a notable factor in many sour beers) is still reacting with the Handle Leaver's in these taps, causing the rotten egg smell. I will continue to monitor these samples and report back if any of them change.

Still waiting on word back from Perlick. I have directed them to this post, as well as the other posts previously linked.

Can I suggest that to rule out a particular "Handel Lever" that you repeat the test by changing over/swap the particular handles submerged in each solution.

Wobbly

Thank you Wobbly, I will cycle each handle through each solution for a 24 hours soak. One thing I did forget to mention is that I had tested each handle in StarSan, and found each to react the same, emitting a smell after as little as 10 seconds. So it's likely that each will react identically in the other solutions as well. But for the sake of rigour I'll conduct the additional tests.

As for the current samples. Leaving them overnight has produced no change in the Coke or Phosphoric Acid test. The Lactic acid sample however is beginning to smell more strongly of rotten egg, so much so that I can smell it now without lifting the handle leaver from beneath the surface of the solution. I might leave the two nonreactive samples another day to see if there is any change before cycling the handles through each solution. In the meantime I'll clean the Lactic Acid sample's handle and re-test it in a sample of soda water.

My five cents, that's just a line of thought and no more: If it is only the Handle lever that is making the smell, then it is must be a different metallic composition than the rest of the tap. Two different metals in contact can lead to problems and they may either be the catalyst or Starsan could be catalyst. By the jist of the discussion, I guess you've ruled out the shanks.

Passivating properly should stop the problem, a good pickling paste would be worth a try, forget Citric Acid, you can passivate with Citric but its way too complicated and very few people do it properly.

Mark

Sorry I haven't reported in for a while. I just got fed up trying to rectify the problem that I ended up returning the facets to the retailer, but not until I gave Perlick two weeks to respond to the retailer, who graciously offered to contact them on my behalf. Unfortunately it appears that Perlick ignored them, and the issue, just as they did when I contacted them directly. So I'll not be buying Perlick products in the future, and will instead be trying the new Flow Control Intertaps come their release on Dec 18th.

This is interesting. I was wondering why my cider had that smell. I was sure it was just from the young cider. This presents a problem :(

Pretty piss weak of Perlick on all honesty.

Latest posts

Back