New here from Brissie

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madpierre06

Reaction score
I'm getting back into brewing after many years out of the game. Previously I was using kits with some add ons making recipes the equivalent of various commercial brews and found my results were pretty good and more than matched the originals. I'm starting back up usng this method with the intention at some stage of going to partial mash as a mate had done a few brews that way for some lovely beers. I just want to get comfortable with the process again before I head that way.

As I don't have the cash and space to set up temp. control gear and the like my plans are to start brewing around now and go full on through the cooler months until around september to cover my yearly needs.

I'm looking forward to maybe getting to know a few fellow brewers through here and hopefully get a handle on improving my process (without going too obsessive) and my beers.

Alan

What part of Brisbane are you from mate, there are a few brew clubs around and it's well worth getting involved with one.

If you're on the southside you should check out BABBS who meet in Holland Park, if your northside there is PUBS who meet in Kallangur, I think there are a couple of others but they are the 2 I know about.

Demonstration on at Brewers Choice Chapel Hill this AM, not listed :rolleyes: on their website AFAICT but its BIAB in an urn and a sausage sizzle.

Thanks for the replies fellas. I'm at Stafford Hts so Kallangur isn't too far (I work at lawnton) and there's a couple shops not too far from home so probably opportunities there to get contact info regarding clubs.

CHapel Hill is a tad far plus I had a late call in to work early at the stadium this arvo so no chance of getting out there anyways.

Cheers

If you have a well insulated brick garage / spare room / laundry where your fermenters can be at an even temperature, you are entering the golden months. I used to brew at ambient temperature on Bribie Island from Late April to October with good results (Kits n Bits then partials), then went on to All Grain when I got some temperature control. Initially that was simply a dead fridge and swapping over ice bottles which did me fine for a further year.

A lot of it is in the yeasts and spending a bit of extra on the yeast can make a real difference when you are ruled by ambient temperature. For example Wyeast Irish Ale yeast can do a good job up to 25C with no off flavours, and you can make presentable lagers with some of the dry lager yeasts such as S-189 or Morgan's Lager Yeast (blue pack) that truck along just fine at 19 degrees.

Happy brewing Pierre.

Hi madPierre I live in Stafford hts and head to pubs. A car pull is great then you can have a few on your night of driving. Next brew I will be doing will be in two weeks welcome to call round and see how not to do it but it works for me.
Cheers Jameson

something i did this year when i didn't have temp control is use belle saison yeast. Gotta use 2 packets of yeast though, or make a half batch on the first one and then repitch yeast from there. Saison yeast actually likes higher temps

Bribie G said:
If you have a well insulated brick garage / spare room / laundry where your fermenters can be at an even temperature, you are entering the golden months. I used to brew at ambient temperature on Bribie Island from Late April to October with good results (Kits n Bits then partials), then went on to All Grain when I got some temperature control. Initially that was simply a dead fridge and swapping over ice bottles which did me fine for a further year.

A lot of it is in the yeasts and spending a bit of extra on the yeast can make a real difference when you are ruled by ambient temperature. For example Wyeast Irish Ale yeast can do a good job up to 25C with no off flavours, and you can make presentable lagers with some of the dry lager yeasts such as S-189 or Morgan's Lager Yeast (blue pack) that truck along just fine at 19 degrees.

Happy brewing Pierre.
Thanks for the heads up about those different yeasts mate. I'll look to grab a few to add to my supply chest.

Back when I was previously brewing the only temp. control I was doing was wrapping a blanket around the fermenter during the colder days of the winter months. It has just occurred to me that as I have a few of those techni ice freeze sheets, if I can find a suitable box or similar to put my fermenter in those would be perfect for dropping the surrounding temperature. I am going to make a greater effort to keep my fermenting temps balanced this time around and see how the end product holds up.

Alan

jameson said:
Hi madPierre I live in Stafford hts and head to pubs. A car pull is great then you can have a few on your night of driving. Next brew I will be doing will be in two weeks welcome to call round and see how not to do it but it works for me.
Cheers Jameson
Mate, sounds like a brilliant idea. I'll drop you a PM and work out a time to catch up, I've just got my latest work roster so have to work a couple of other appointments in with that as well. And I'd certainly be open to swapping a few bottles, I'll be putting my first brew down either this Tuesday arvo or early Friday morning. Just the basic brew using the gear that came with the kit the kids got me for Christmas.

ekul said:
something i did this year when i didn't have temp control is use belle saison yeast. Gotta use 2 packets of yeast though, or make a half batch on the first one and then repitch yeast from there. Saison yeast actually likes higher temps
Thanks for that mate, I'll add that yeast to BribieG's suggestions.

Hey Alan, late reply, but I live in stafford and you're more than welcome to come round one of my brew days and check out my process, while indulging in a few tasty beers. PM me if you're keen.

Welcome back to brewing MadPeirre06.

I'm in Brissie too (though on the west side) and as others have said, this is the right time of year to get back into the game without temp control. Partial mash beers with kits or extract can turn out real nice and are just the stepping stone to going all grain by what-ever method suits you. I hope you enjoy the experience. BABBS seems to be the main brewing club in Bris-vegas (though I've not been here myself due to my position in Oxley and lack of transport) but contact anyone you can for advice either here online or in person and you'll learn heaps. This forum and it's members saved me from the old-school kit + kilo of sugar and now I'm making some real lovely brews. I'm sure you can benefit from the abundant info and advice here too.

Best of Luck sir. :)

manson81 said:
Hey Alan, late reply, but I live in stafford and you're more than welcome to come round one of my brew days and check out my process, while indulging in a few tasty beers. PM me if you're keen.
Cheers mate, PM sent. I'd forgtten all about this thread and only saw it again 'cos of the 'Brissie" in title.

menoetes said:
Welcome back to brewing MadPeirre06.

I'm in Brissie too (though on the west side) and as others have said, this is the right time of year to get back into the game without temp control. Partial mash beers with kits or extract can turn out real nice and are just the stepping stone to going all grain by what-ever method suits you. I hope you enjoy the experience. BABBS seems to be the main brewing club in Bris-vegas (though I've not been here myself due to my position in Oxley and lack of transport) but contact anyone you can for advice either here online or in person and you'll learn heaps. This forum and it's members saved me from the old-school kit + kilo of sugar and now I'm making some real lovely brews. I'm sure you can benefit from the abundant info and advice here too.

Best of Luck sir. :)
I've already met a couple of good blokes through here and after tasting AG beer have made the call to go all in and BIAB AG (stovetop initially as I have the gear needed for that, just have to get the bigger bits of kit in due course as $ are big issue for me). I've been promised a converted keg so just have to source a burner and ags bottle (jet burner has been recommended) and stand. If you're keen, I'm always in for a catch up and share a beer and don't mind travelling for said catch up.

Cheers mate.

Back