New Guy Looking At Ag

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ras77

Reaction score
Hey Guys

Just want to introduce myself as i'm new to the forums and interested in AG Brewing.

Sort Story is after a quick trip down to newcastle to see some friends sitting on his back deck drinking Hefeweizen and a few bottles of Schofferhofer got talking about home brewing beer. Regretable his last batch got a yeast infection so couldn't try any of his homebrew. :(

But after talking to a few guys on the chat program going to give AG a try. Pedro: "Welcome to the Dark side".

I live west of Toowoomba so if anyone in the Toowoomba area wouldn't mined me tagging along to there next brew day to get some design idea's and basic elements of brewing the would be great.

Thanks
Ras

Hey Guys

Just want to introduce myself as i'm new to the forums and interested in AG Brewing.

Sort Story is after a quick trip down to newcastle to see some friends sitting on his back deck drinking Hefeweizen and a few bottles of Schofferhofer got talking about home brewing beer. Regretable his last batch got a yeast infection so couldn't try any of his homebrew. :(

But after talking to a few guys on the chat program going to give AG a try. Pedro: "Welcome to the Dark side".

I live west of Toowoomba so if anyone in the Toowoomba area wouldn't mined me tagging along to there next brew day to get some design idea's and basic elements of brewing the would be great.

Thanks
Ras

Welcome mate

Live no where near you but there are some good videos on youtube also there was a recent thread on ag in a nutshell. Also a bit of advice get all the basic gear together before you start ag, i wanted to jsut get on with it spent $25 on all the ingridients and ended up stuffing the brew because i didn't have all the kit i just improvised. Good luck and if you get stuck just post another topic people on this forum are so god damn helpfull even if you think it's a stupid question, it's better to ask a stupid question than make a stupid mistake

Aaron

Hey Aaron

Couldn't agree more mate i would rather spend a couple of months setting up rather then mess up my first batch.

I have watch this guy on youtube pretty good vid

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=eIGrsGPVA_Y

He makes it looks easy lol

p.s probly mess up my first batch anyway but would like to minimise how i mess it up.

Ras

Hey Aaron

Couldn't agree more mate i would rather spend a couple of months setting up rather then mess up my first batch.

I have watch this guy on youtube pretty good vid

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=eIGrsGPVA_Y

He makes it looks easy lol

p.s probly mess up my first batch anyway but would like to minimise how i mess it up.

Ras

I prefer this one, but each to there own http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk6d1dy9jOc this is in two parts rather tha 8 also so its that little bit less awkward i suppose

enjoy

Aaron

Good vid Aaron thanks for the link

Thanks
Ras

About six months ago there was a Victorian or Tasmanian guy who had a 5 part video, he made a Vienna Lager - can anyone remember what thread? I'll have a look around for it as it's excellent and home-grown.

About six months ago there was a Victorian or Tasmanian guy who had a 5 part video, he made a Vienna Lager - can anyone remember what thread? I'll have a look around for it as it's excellent and home-grown.

linky

Ras, there is one Ag'er in Threewoomba as far as I know, pretty sure he's on AHB, maybe you could hook up with him for a brew day. Will do a search..see if I can come up with his nick.

By the way one of the best stocked (beer wise) bottlo's in Australia is located in Toowoomba, cnr of Mary and Bridge from memory, it's the off prems for the Spotted Cow.

Screwy

EDIT: Found him - his nick is Daemon send him a PM

G'Day Rass..

I was also there with Pedro.

You wont go wrong, as there are plenty of brewers in your part of the world.

Get in and enjoy..

And before long, you to can be dancing with a sheep in Woodhill.. :icon_cheers:

Raz, where west of Toowoomba? I have just started with a small AG, and have done some partials. I am a bit like you, no one in my area that I know of do more than a kit and a kilo of sugar.

Cheers
Gavo.

Raz,

Toowoomba has plenty of AG brewers & has it's own homebrew club.
Drop me an email & I'll put you in contact with them

cheers

Ross

P.S. ...& welcome to the forum :icon_chickcheers:

Wow pedro wasn't kidding about just start a topic up that you need help :icon_chickcheers:

First sorry ducadiboy didn't mean to leave you out just couldn' for the life of me remember you sig

Location is 45mins west of toowoomba town called Pittsworth

Yeah the same mate came up for my wedding so we went to the spotted cow he just about lost it :icon_cheers: we spent about a hour in the bottle shop looking at the beers

thanks

Ras

Ras, there is one Ag'er in Threewoomba as far as I know, pretty sure he's on AHB, maybe you could hook up with him for a brew day. Will do a search..see if I can come up with his nick.

By the way one of the best stocked (beer wise) bottlo's in Australia is located in Toowoomba, cnr of Mary and Bridge from memory, it's the off prems for the Spotted Cow.

Screwy

EDIT: Found him - his nick is Daemon send him a PM

Top bottleshop that one, even before I left Toowoomba 10 years, they had some awesome beers in there that you wouldnt find just in any Bottleshop..

A mate back then used to Homebrew and we would go there and get 20 bottles of different beers and work our way through them...

I just wish I started Brewing back then, oh well, into it now...

When I visit my Family in Toowoomba, Ill PM you and try hook up..

Cheers

Hopeful i will have a setup in the next couple of month not going to rush want to get it right :icon_cheers:

So you will be able to try some beer :icon_chickcheers:

The Spotted Cow has probly change a little they have gone into imports beers to nearly insane lvl nearly purchase a $50 bottle of beer just to say i have tried it

RAs

Yeah looks like Ross is going to try to get me in contact with the Toowoomba home brew club.

I guess there is not many brewers in miles gavo but i bet there are alot of drinker :)

Ras

I guess there is not many brewers in miles gavo but i bet there are alot of drinker :)

Ah, but there are a few brewers, and they do the good stuff like a can of coopers and a kilo of sugar. :huh: As you can see, a ton of inspiration. Though I suppose if it wasn't for AHB I would be doing the same, but with Dextrose, (at least I got that part right) and fermenting at 27 degrees cheering that it fermented so fast. :icon_vomit:

If your ever out this way get in contact for a drink.

Cheers
Gavo.

Will do mate same goes for you, Probly more chance of you going past then me going to miles :)

Ras

Will do mate same goes for you, Probly more chance of you going past then me going to miles :)

Yeah, always going past on the mad dash to Brisvagas to see the relies with the family in tow. Will attempt to make one of those trips a little slower one day.

Cheers
Gavo.

Edit: Back on topic, AG is not that hard. My basic equipment so far is a 15 lt mash tun, a new shiny 60 lt ally stock pot with pickup tube, a couple of cubes and most other pieces you would normally have for extract brewing. I will still do partials with 2kg of grain for a while as they are simple and it helps me to iron out my processes.

My one suggestion at this stage of setting up your AG brewery is if you think there's a chance you'll get pretty seriously into it, don't get too small a mash tun at first. I started out with a 15L mash tun but it didn't take me long putting up with overflowing mashes to upgrade to one of those 38L gatorade style coolers. If it means saving up a little while longer, I recommend it as you can do so much more with a larger mash tun.

Latest posts

Back