New guy in Newcastle!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan...

Reaction score
Hey guys! Just stumbled across this forum and thought I would introduce myself! Names Al and im located in Newcastle, I have just become interested in making my own liquor so if any of you guys would have experience in making spirits and still setups im very keen to hear from you. Currently looking at Turbo 500 30L still and Pure still setups, pretty well have written off the idea of the Air still but very keen to hear from anyone:) Thanks guys, Al.

More of a beer forum here Alan. We try not to venture down copper head road. I love the art of corn mash and some of the fruit mashes. But this forum is for the legitimate malt grain brewer. Good luck with your ventures.Dave

Thanks Dave:) I was thinking that when I posted but did a search on google for any guys in Aus making spirits with no luck but was hoping somebody could point me in the right ditection haha.

In Australia it's illegal to distill alcoholic drinks, so the forum here has a policy that no discussion is allowed. However it isn't illegal to own a still, provided it is only used for water or herbal oil distillation . B)

There are a couple of forums for your admirable efforts - most local home brew shops also stock essences, hardware gear and some fermentables such as dextrose that you can use. Pop into Marks Home Brew at Islington for a chat, helpful man.

Bribie G said:
In Australia it's illegal to distill alcoholic drinks, so the forum here has a policy that no discussion is allowed. However it isn't illegal to own a still, provided it is only used for water or herbal oil distillation . B)

There are a couple of forums for your admirable efforts - most local home brew shops also stock essences, hardware gear and some fermentables such as dextrose that you can use. Pop into Marks Home Brew at Islington for a chat, helpful man.
Wow, I find that incredible. You can pop into you LHBS but a Turbo 500 still and all the gear, but you can't make a whiskey? I thought NZ was behind the times and backwards...

Alan type in bokabob you will find plenty of info....
NZ is the only legal place in the world to make your own spirits..
PJ

There are half a dozen forums scattered round the net with a few specialty ones as well. We've just started a new one for our customers and anyone else who's interested at http://www.stilldragon.org/ .

These places are much better suited for your enquiries than the beer forum here Alan. Being illegal you might want to join with a different username that doesn't equate to any real information.

poppa joe said:
Alan type in bokabob you will find plenty of info....
NZ is the only legal place in the world to make your own spirits..
PJ

Not true, there are plenty of countries where it's not illegal to make your own spirits. In China for instance you don't even need a licence to sell them on the street.

Thanks for all the info guys I appreciate it:), Bribie I went in to see Mark yesterday actually and he was very helpful, the shop has only been open 2 days but he is a top bloke! Also any ideas why the spirit making is illegal but brewing beer is not?

Probably easier to sell bottles of Whiskey than kegs of beer. That's what happens over here, lots of cheap bottles of spirits being sold to mates. :) Govt not getting their tax take.

AFAIK it isn't totally illegal in Australia, you just need to give a few hundred bucks to the government each year for an excise license (I think that is what it is).

Forum policy doesn't allow discussion though (as mentioned earlier).

I'm sure with some clever searching you'll be able to find plenty of people to discuss it elsewhere though.

Hey mate I think you went to the one at the end of Beaumont st? Marks is futher along maitland road towards town. Haven't dropped in to the new shop yet, are they selling grain?

I was going to say, Mark has been there for years!
(unless he's moved recently?)

When I was there last Mark was talking about moving to new premises with a better layout and cheaper rent ;)
I know Sp0rk was going to do a grain trip, might pay to get further info on this. I might be zooming down myself in a few weeks for some comp supplies.

wbosher: I've only been to the Shaky Isles once, and it was Wellington so maybe I didn't get a balanced view on things, but the place struck me as 10 years ahead of Queensland at any rate. Electric buses, wind power, most of the taxis hybrid, supermarkets loaded with a massive choice of beers and wines, Indigenous people employed everywhere you go, even the Maccas tasted like real beef :icon_drool2: - and beware of actually talking to any of the staff in a store or pub, within ten minutes you are just about exchanging phone numbers with them and pencilling in wedding invitations and dinner parties at their homes :p

I live in Wellington, I guess I just take all that stuff for granted. Wish we had your weather though. Been to the gold coast a few times (as have almost EVERY Kiwi :lol: )...chicks in skimpy bikinis everywhere... :icon_drool2:

Like Moad said, I think you must of gone to the new brew shop that has opened (not MHB) unless of course the new shop is also run by a guy named Mark ;)
Was speaking to one of the lab assistants on Friday and he was saying the new shop has cheese kits and making equipment... is that true?
I'm pretty keen to get into making cheese as well.

Oh wow confusing!! Yeah this one is called Newcastle Home Brew and is directly at the end of Beaumont st, im certain he introduced himself as Mark but I could be wrong:p And they do sell abit of cheese making gear also.

MHB's site doesn't say anything about new premises or a name change (though he only updates the site once in a blue moon)
So i think it's probably a different Mark
I don't know if I'll be making a trip down there or not anytime soon, as we have a Country Brewer franchise opening up a 3 minute walk away from my work (hello $100 lunch time impulse buys)
Depending on being able to get bulk buys for the Coffs guys, I don't know when I'll get down there next
I'll be passing through on my way to Sydney in December for a wedding, So I'll be stopping in then to say hello for sure

Mark definitely hasn't moved, he is getting 2 ton of grain in this week so I don't think he is going anywhere in a hurry either!

Back