New Danstar Dry Yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rain has put a stop to that for now, so Ive got nothing better to do than hassle retailers :D

Sounds fun. How about a chant. :icon_offtopic:

What do we want?
Weizen yeast.
When do we want it?
Not sure really. Maybe I could put up a post and see what everyone else thinks. :p

Okay, got on Ross's site and its there, but, I want to know if anyone has done any side by side comparisons with his Craftbrewer Weizen yeast?

I am planning a hefe soon as my current keg is just about done. But, personally, I find the Craftbrewer Weizen a little too clovey, not that I do not like it, its just a little too much. Last one I fermented a little warmer to get banana into and it did not change the flavour profile any, so I guess thats good in some respect, consistency with a 4 degree fermentation difference! Both used a 1 litre starter.

So, has anyone done a side by side comparison? If not, when I place my next order with Ross, I might get a pack of Munich Weizen and do it. Course, that might be a few weeks!

FJ,

At 21c .....Soft bread, with bubblegum & subtle banna/clove - I love it.

cheers Ross

I'm about to do another wheat soon using the new munich dried....my last one was using the CBweizen and I got a laugh last night when my neighbour (who LOVES beer, and thought all his dreams had come true when I moved in across the road and started making beer, but doesn't know too much about it..) exclaimed last night "MAN that's full of cloves! Did you put cloves in this one? Really? None? None at all? The yeast character you say? WOW.
Maybe I shouldn't have given him the 40IBU and Amarillo keg-hopped Golden Ale first.......

Got mine finished at an 18C primary ferment temp - still has a fair whack of banana and heaps of clove - much better result than WB06 at >20C i reckon. Just gotta let it carb up (taking a bit long when ambient temps in the bottle storage area down here are between 5 and 15C!)

Was a double decoction mash 50% wheat, a touch of caramunich and the balance Pils, the yeast let all the decoction malt flavour through too...

Pitched a sachet of the Danstar Munich Yeast into my Dunkelweizen on Monday morning @ 18degC.
Check it this morning and it had blown the airlock and started climbing out. Had also raised up in temp to around 21degC.
All that in a fermenter with about 7 litres of headspace.
It is a lively yeasty this one.

Doc

Mine isn't overactive, but it is bubbling along nicely.

I pitched the yeast at 11 deg C and it is currently sitting at 17 deg C. I might bring the fermenter inside for the next couple of days to let it finish about 20 deg C.

I can't wait to keg and carb it up.

I pitched at 12 and fermented at 18. Like everyone else's it went troppo, but I'd rigged up my blow-off in readiness. Tasted great out of primary, very bready and great smell. Has been in the bottles about 2 weeks now and seems to have lost a lot of the breadiness and bubble gum, but still not fully carbed. Finding it a bit tasteless atm...hoping another 1-2 weeks sees some improvement...

Latest posts

Back