New Aussie Beer/brewing Mag

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Day
The subscription in the magazine is 4 issues $26.18, 8 issues $49.
Some of the articles are better than others but I am beer/homebrew tradgic so I found it all interesting.

FYI - my subscription copy arrived yesterday.

I suspect they don't have too many subscribers at this point because it arrived in a hand-written envelope.

Read it last night.... Now I have to wait 3 more months for the next issue :(

Cheers,
Michael.

I just make the observation the a BYO subscritpion for 8 copies costs $AUD6.10 per copy compared to $AUD6.13 per copy for 8 issues of Beer & Brewer. Given BYOs wide distribution and lower unit cost i'd say the price for B&B isn't too bad. OK, you could argue about the content but B&B has to start somewhere and needs to have broad appeal in a market the size of Oz. Worth supporting I think. No afflilation etc etc.

I got a copy from my LHBS and thought it wasn't a bad read. Will get it again.

But I would like to know wtf this Keith guy is in the HB section. Writting about HB stuff and I bet he has never brewed a decent beer in his life?!?!?!?! And has he ever heard of F7?!!! :p

i subscribed online and recieved mine the other day and was a bit surprised at the magazine offering subscription at a lower price than i paid online ( $26.18 vs $31.25 for 4 issues ) but when i emailed beerandbrewer about it i was told that isubscribe , the online retailer, takes a cut hence the extra expense.if you subscribe through the magazine for 1 year it costs $6.55 an issue (cheaper than retail) plus it is posted to your door. not bad.

really tho, its a good read, with its heart in the right place and is cheap for what you get. i have paid more for a meal at kfc and didnt enjoy that nearly as much as the magazine! (no derr) :rolleyes:

good points was the segment on breweries in new zealand, WA etc ( my mrs has been hammering me to go there and now i have a reason ) and the disdain which they treat the offerings from the mega swillers ( although they should not get too anti establishment or militant about them IMHO ).Enjoyed the recipe section also, and the bit about carbonating with nitrous oxide? now i have to find a yeast that expels NO instead.
bad points were the layout seemed rushed with fairly simple mistakes made in typesetting and editing errors and that story on the last page about david boon!!?! wtf? sorry, but it was poorly written and seemed more suitable for a sh!thouse lads mag like ZOO. if they wanted to end the mag with a single page exposition on some topic or other why not do a hop/grain/beer ingredient?

ill leave it there, but in my correspondence with beerandbrewer they suggested that the price was deliberately low.
"If the cover price was to rise in issues to come as well, you obviously wont need to pay more for your subscription, I have started the price quite low to encourage subscriptions and sales at newsagents/home brew shops."

sounds like you better get in early boys!! :D (no affiliation etc)
edit:speeling

recieved my copy yesterday and had a bit of a geez at it over morning tea, really excelent so far and well worth the money spent, i can see it getting bigger and better with time. Hopefully the editors hear some of the coments on here otherwise perhaps we should be e-mailing the comments in (or posting on there forum) lets make a really good mag great

-Phill

Dave Somebody from Beer & Brewer magazine will be joining us at The Nags Head for a few hand pumped Ales Friday night.
Cheers
Gerard

I picked up a copy today. I thought it was a great read. A whole magazine about craft beer, craft brewing and homebrewing in Australia - these are exactly the things I am thinking about most of the time. I'm going to subscribe right now.

BTW, nice article Keith. I hope they give you a regular gig.

I picked up a copy today. I thought it was a great read. A whole magazine about craft beer, craft brewing and homebrewing in Australia - these are exactly the things I am thinking about most of the time. I'm going to subscribe right now.

BTW, nice article Keith. I hope they give you a regular gig.

I picked up a copy from MHB yesterday when buying the grain, hops etc for my next brew.

I'm with goatherder - I think you did a good job on the HB article Keith.

Pretty good read IMHO - I have subscribed.

Cheers,

Craig

Got my copy a couple of days ago and if I had any negative comments it would be that it is a little light on the ground for content but then I find the same for BYO. I read it in a couple of hours and find myself wanting more.

It gets my vote, I will be opting for the 2yr subscription. Hopefully it will only get better from here.

Loved the beer reviews at the end.

How thick ...And how much postage....??????????? :)
If they include .....BIAB Brewing.....No Chilling.... :D
Chers
PJ :beerbang:

My missus got me a copy yesterday.
Then read it cover to cover and so far I haven't had a chance but too glance at it, now this morning over coffee shes told me all about it and what I should read first.

Aghhhhh STFU and let ME read it ..

:) looks like it will be a good read

No complaints on price , have a good look at some of the cover prices on mags in the newsagents..

Even got the go ahead for a subscription. God bless 'er.

:beer:

Good to hear they are available in the West.Now to try and track one down.

Cheers
Big D

Back