Name the bar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Small world, as it happens I service a property a few doors down from this establishment, never noticed the little bottle shop at street level before.
...I've just turned on the car fridge, this will be my last job for the day I reckon.

Now you just need these hop cone pendant lights from bunnings.

12183a51-298d-4234-8b8b-663f7f7c2d81.jpg

Yob said:

I made this for the joint, Ive lacquered the grains and the hops so I can mount it to the wall..

Latest date we have to take possession is the first of June :beerbang:

Meeting the Tap installer there this arvo, meeting the cool room guy there this arvo...

nice design, now where have I seen that pattern before..

2jqya.jpg

Ever get that feeling that although you may consider your would be post to be a witty jibe, others may perceive it as grossly offensive?
I'm getting that now. Best I carry on with my business perusing the bottle shop shelves.
..Stout or sour, hmmmmm

bradsbrew said:
Wouldnt have let those darker grains mingle with the lighter ones though
Ypu know, I took the picture, saw the grains and though to myself "someone is gunna ping me for that"

Thanks.. Seems I know my crowd ;)

And here I am thinking I'm the only idiot who's managed to save the word ypu into my phones dictionary...

Yob said:
Ypu know, I took the picture, saw the grains and though to myself "someone is gunna ping me for that"

Thanks.. Seems I know my crowd ;)

Just a thought, but one way to make your bar different from the rest, and put your own stamp on it, is with murals on the walls.

A few random examples pulled from the web, below.

I like the idea of the blackboard paint on the walls and white chalk art. Striking contrast, and you can change the design from time to time. Those black painted dunnies in the old Casablanca would be transformed by some good chalk art.

As for cost, you might find some local design students from Box Hill TAFE, Swinburne etc. would jump at the opportunity to get a real project on their CVs. Or you could pay them in pints.

mural1.jpg

mural2.jpg

mural3.jpg

mural4.jpg

mural5.jpg

Funny, I've been talking about getting so.e graphics for a few months, I'm thinking of on the wall up the stairs and eventually the back wall, also considered the toilets, I suggested that to the GB/cherry tree to combat their graffiti they were getting.. Never adopted it but I sure like the idea...

Great minds ;)

Yob said:
Funny, I've been talking about getting so.e graphics for a few months, I'm thinking of on the wall up the stairs and eventually the back wall, also considered the toilets, I suggested that to the GB/cherry tree to combat their graffiti they were getting.. Never adopted it but I sure like the idea...

Great minds ;)
A mate in Sydney used to do a lot of chalk work for pubs and restaurants, trick is to find an artist on your wavelength, sure would be a quick way to update and change the the surroundings even for locals. I used to turn up to my local cafe daily and check what anecdote/advice they had on one of their chalk boards that change frequently.

malt junkie said:
A mate in Sydney used to do a lot of chalk work for pubs and restaurants, trick is to find an artist on your wavelength, sure would be a quick way to update and change the the surroundings even for locals. I used to turn up to my local cafe daily and check what anecdote/advice they had on one of their chalk boards that change frequently.
An A-frame chalk board on the footpath outside is great way to get attention. And you can change it to suit different days, or times of day (eg. the Sat night meet-up crowd, the lunch crowd, the weekend footy-watching-on-TV crowd).

This web-site has 50 good ones from around the world: http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2013/05/06/50-brilliant-pub-chalkboards/

A few of my faves:

chalkboard1.jpg

chalkboard2.png

chalkboard3.jpg

Yob said:
The joint is surrounded by food so I'll be talking to them all about servicing the bar, it's a good way to go especially when I use most of my back of house space as a coolroom ;)
Having spoken to a couple of venues that let customers bring "outside" food in I would advise that you consider how the waste will be handled. Pizza boxes and fish and chip wrappers can be pretty bulky to dispose of when you didn't sell the food. Not a deal breaker at all, just consider how/who/where it will be disposed of.

Also, one cool thing one venue did was have a regular pizza run (the pizza shop was not next door). Someone from the venue makes the trip to pick up a bulk order on Friday nights or whatever.

Anyway, congratu-fuckin-lations! :beer:

Latest posts

Back